• Advertisement

Lessons from Hawaii attack warning

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Lessons from Hawaii attack warning

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:09 am

In the 1980's ABC produced a movie called THE DAY AFTER a movie depicting what Hollywood and the antinuclear left wanted Americans to believe about nuclear weapons and nuclear war.

In the movie there is a run on grocery stores, and other "panic" but from my scanning of news about the attack there was very little of this. There is video of college students running to a building for shelter which the media labeled as "panic" but watching them it seems like they were very rational in their behavior. There were reports of speeding cars but not grid lock on roads like in the day after.

What did the movie get right? People in the movie lined up at a pay phone (remember those) to call loved ones. That is reality as people texted friends and family when they received the warning. People sought shelter in an orderly fassion, the movie shows the same.

http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/hawaiinewsno ... t/UJkCGjWT
3ADScout

Re: Lessons from Hawaii attack warning

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:15 am

3ADScout wrote:In the 1980's ABC produced a movie called THE DAY AFTER a movie depicting what Hollywood and the antinuclear left wanted Americans to believe about nuclear weapons and nuclear war.

In the movie there is a run on grocery stores, and other "panic" but from my scanning of news about the attack there was very little of this. There is video of college students running to a building for shelter which the media labeled as "panic" but watching them it seems like they were very rational in their behavior. There were reports of speeding cars but not grid lock on roads like in the day after.

What did the movie get right? People in the movie lined up at a pay phone (remember those) to call loved ones. That is reality as people texted friends and family when they received the warning. People sought shelter in an orderly fassion, the movie shows the same.

http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/hawaiinewsno ... t/UJkCGjWT

it was half an hour vs days in the movie - little hard to compare ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Straydog » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:34 am

What I took away was the panic when people were running through the streets and going to the store for items they should already have. Storms pass which is what we see here every winter. If a missle lands things are gonna be bad for more than a day...
Straydog
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:48 am

It's definantly a wake up call for all Americans, especially those that live closer to NK. The pictures I saw were people running through the streets screaming with their hands waving over their heads. I thing reality really set in for those living in Hawaii.

But the MSM, hollywood elites and some federal officials were quick to blame you know who (President Trump), even though someone accidently hit the wrong button. If it was a real ICBM that was launched, guess who would have gotten the blame, yes, (President Trump).
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Go here to read all kinds of comments from folks in Hawaii: https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/ ... ?limit=500

I read someone reporting that people were putting their children down into the storm drains, because they had nowhere to go!

What concerns me the most, is that people are NOT going to react to the Next time! How many people do you know that are complacent to a fire alarm going off ... looking around to see if it's 'real'? I have NO idea if it was a drill, wrong push of a button. The real deal with a successful intercept or a hack. All I *DO* know is that the next alert will have great number of folks thinking "here we go again".
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ItchyDog » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:35 pm

Comparing movies like The Day After and Threads to what happened in Hawaii are apples and oranges.

Hawaii was closer to the drills of the 50s and 60s that were done on a regular basis when I was a kid.

I didn't see "panic in the streets" in Hawaii. People trying to get undercover, definitely.
ItchyDog

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:it was half an hour vs days in the movie - little hard to compare ...

lllini Warrior-
You are correct that the movie built up over days but the specific parts that I mentioned where after the air raid sirens went off.

My point is that people seldom react to disaster the way Hollwood depicts them.
3ADScout

Postby Blondie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:47 pm

You should take note of the irrational reactions of panicked people.

People leaving a safer place, running to the grocery store or putting their small children in a sewer. This is the panic you will encounter in your group, among your extended family, etc. If you manage to get to a shelter and you're there with total strangers who are becoming irrational?

What is your plan when you're trying to get everyone to your SIP and suddenly someone bolts out the door? With your grandchildren? Or the "just let me die" people you know suddenly want to be rescued?

It will happen.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby rickdun » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:46 pm

Blondie wrote:You should take note of the irrational reactions of panicked people.

People leaving a safer place, running to the grocery store or putting their small children in a sewer. This is the panic you will encounter in your group, among your extended family, etc. If you manage to get to a shelter and you're there with total strangers who are becoming irrational?

What is your plan when you're trying to get everyone to your SIP and suddenly someone bolts out the door? With your grandchildren? Or the "just let me die" people you know suddenly want to be rescued?

It will happen.

Agree with Blondie. If you are at home, you're better off staying there, at least you have whatever is in your pantry to eat. 99.9% of the homes where I live have a basement and 50% of those homes have a root cellar, I think that is safer then going to a shelter. We have no shelters around here, unless you count the fire department and I know for a fact that there is no food there.

I have to be honest and add, if I would have been in Hawaii at that time, I most likely would have needed a roll of TP.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:15 pm

3ADScout wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:it was half an hour vs days in the movie - little hard to compare ...

lllini Warrior-
You are correct that the movie built up over days but the specific parts that I mentioned where after the air raid sirens went off.

My point is that people seldom react to disaster the way Hollwood depicts them.

trouble with that movie is that whole depiction was erratic - if you want to more realistic situations it would be thru Threads - same era as The Day After but British - dippy in places but overall a more realistic ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby daaswampman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:26 pm

ReadyMom wrote:Go here to read all kinds of comments from folks in Hawaii: https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/ ... ?limit=500

I read someone reporting that people were putting their children down into the storm drains, because they had nowhere to go!

What concerns me the most, is that people are NOT going to react to the Next time! How many people do you know that are complacent to a fire alarm going off ... looking around to see if it's 'real'? I have NO idea if it was a drill, wrong push of a button. The real deal with a successful intercept or a hack. All I *DO* know is that the next alert will have great number of folks thinking "here we go again".

Thank you for the link! The take away, most people will not act in useful or sensible ways. Even if there was a missile headed for Hawaii - it is not going to hit every town and every island. My brother and his wife are wintering on the big island near Hilo and got that message.

They said there was a lot of panic even though they are a long ways from Honolulu. Glad to say they didn't do all the stupid stuff like call all the relatives on the mainland or dash to the store. They texted everyone they were ok, once they knew it was nothing. I would guess their common sense is from being from Utah.
Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:57 pm

I found out Saturday by checking a phone news app shortly after...basically around the time it was declared a false warning. I assume there's more to this story, and interested to see what's disclosed if anything. My lessons learned:

1st- Had this truly been the start of a general attack, I'd have not had as much notice as those in Hawaii, and likely less or insufficient time to react.

2nd- I'm disturbed and disappointed with our nation's alert system, because had it been an actual ballistic missile going to any of our 50 states, I'd want the same alert as the potential target state(s). I got nothing, and had I not been checking news wouldn't have know for even longer. Even though this was said to be a mistaken alert, we really should be alerted in all of the U.S. whenever any part of the U.S. is presumably under attack and alerted.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:02 pm

Most homes in Hawaii do not have basements due to the islands being made of volcanic rock. Staying in a home without a basement when thermonuclear device is headed for you neighborhood is not a smart course of action. Even if you survived the initial blast most homes would not provide the protection needed for the radiation. We could argue that Hawaii might not have the radiation hazards that the mainland might have.

Using storm drains, not to be confused with sanitary sewers is a very smart move if you have no alternative. Might have even been in Bruce D. Clayton's "Surviving Doomsday".
3ADScout

Postby daaswampman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:04 pm

Much of Hawaii gets a great deal of rain, which could make the storm drains more contaminated than the surface. This is something no American city is not ready for and the few individuals that are, have been laughed at.

Hawaii is more snowflake than California and will not learn one damn thing from this. Some are already blaming Trump for not bending over for Kim. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby Dirk Williams » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:35 am

Hawaii, the main island is considered a strategic location, hence our military bases the gateway to the pacific. Living their one should know of the targeting probability, by bad actors.

The simple lesson is , if your not prepared,before the warnings, your not going to be prepared after the warnings. Which leads to the real problem. The majority of the population are not prepared, or even wanting to prepare.

Are you prepared to gun your neighbors down to defend your preps. Do you have enough to help your neighbors out. Have you organized at least a few families in your neighborhood.

The other issue which came up here is radiation. With the prevailing winds over the islands, other then the physical target area, I think most folks will be reasonable safe. Lastly volcanic islands are jam packed with caves. A possible solution.

What really bothers me about this false alarm is the strategic location of the media? How did they arrive quickly enough at those locations, I,realize,so,e of the video was amateur, shot, but most of what was flashed was MSM camera crews.

How can that be.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion