• Advertisement

EMP Shielding Device

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

EMP Shielding Device

Postby mkcr5921 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:14 pm

I recently purchased, and am awaiting delivery of, an EMP Shielding device that will be wired into our electric breaker panel. Here is a link to the website if anyone is interested in looking at it:. http://www.myempshield.com/products.htm It isn't terribly expensive so I bought one for both my business (120/240 3-phase) and one for my home. I received a $50.00 discount on each unit by entering 'First1000' in the discount code box. They give you the discount on each unit, no matter how many you purchase.

I spoke at length with one of the engineers who designed these units and was impressed by what he told me. On the website you can order a free online report from Keystone Compliance, the Dept of Defense EMP testing facility showing that their product exceeds that which is required for military grade shielding. Of course, any electronic devices not protected by being on the shield-protected house circuits would have to be protected in a Faraday Cage. We are considering installing a Kohilo wind turbine generator so we would still have power to our house in the event of an EMP event.

There are a number of manufacturers that make these, but curious if anyone has heard of this one, or has one similar to it?

Still trying to scrape together enough $$ to plant an underground fallout/hurricane shelter in the back yard...sigh...if only money grew as fast as the weeds in my garden.
mkcr5921

Re: EMP Shielding Device

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:49 pm

nothing new - had one for 15 years now - certainly didn't pay that kind of upcharge for calling it an EMP device ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby tidewaterva » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 pm

Whole house surge protectors are available at Lowe's and Home Depot. Prices range from about 50-150. I just installed one made by Square D in a new Square D QO load center which plugs onto the buss bars and neutral bar and does not require external wiring. Cost about $50. Siemens has a plug in surge protector for their panels also. The Square D unit comes with a $50,000 warranty against equipment damage.

These devices should only be installed by a qualified electrician, period.

The devices use a MOV (metallic oxide varistor) semi-conductor which in the absence of a high voltage act as an infinite resistance to isolate the hot legs from ground, but when a high voltage surge occurs, the MOV ionizes into a conductor in about 5 nanoseconds or less and drains the surge to ground. The devices can momentarily handle 50,000 to 100,000 amps. I did electrical work and was a licensed electrician for many years, and have installed quite a few of these units on residential electrical panels where the homeowner had previous voltage surges from lightning strikes which had damaged electrical equipment and appliances. I never had a customer that had a further problem with voltage surge damage with a whole house MOV protector installed.

I do have an issue with the company calling their unit an EMP shield. It is a voltage surge suppressor. This type of device will do a great job of protecting the loads in an electrical panel from power line voltage surges caused by lightning strikes or EMP's. It does not provide the same type of protection as a Faraday cage, and an EMP could still destroy electrical equipment by a direct energy discharge pulse even with the "EMP shield" installed. The link to the testing report on the EMP shield website links to a test report evaluating the product for EMI (electro-magnetic interference). I did not see any test data evaluating the devices performance as to how it handled kilovolt surges or high amperage surges. The MOV protectors That I installed were tested by a lab That subjected them to increasingly high voltage and amperage surges until they assumed burnt marshmallow status. I would need to see That kind of test data to compare That product to Square D and Siemens products. The EMP shield product seems to be priced about double to comparable surge arrestor.

A further word of advice, if anyone has a well located on a hill or high point, or even in a flat open area, they need one surge arrestor on their load center panel, and a second on the electrical line where it drops down to the pump.

Finally, I am a big proponent of these devices, but any of them are only as good as the grounding means (grounding rod, tie to rebar in footer, tie to metal water piping, etc) that they are connected to. Many homes and small businesses have inadequate grounding of the electrical system. A good electrical contractor, the local building inspector, or maybe the power utility could test your electrical ground with a device called a megger which can measure how effective your grounding system is. It is easy and inexpensive to add one or more additional ground rods if needed.
tidewaterva
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby mkcr5921 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:15 am

Thank you - all good information. We will definitely have a licensed electrician install for us.
mkcr5921

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:59 am

mkcr5921 wrote:Thank you - all good information. We will definitely have a licensed electrician install for us.

it's simple enough to install - but don't be sticking your hands into something like a circuit box without knowing exactly what's up ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby rem20 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:55 pm

If i had the money to install protection of that sort i would definitely do so, I have focused on storing good batteries of all sorts and kept those with all of my protected communications devices.
rem20

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:22 pm

rem20 wrote:If i had the money to install protection of that sort i would definitely do so, I have focused on storing good batteries of all sorts and kept those with all of my protected communications devices.

I knew that the device could possibly be an assist for an EMP or solar burst - but my main aim was just a power surge that could occur thru other more natural disasters ... I still have individual power surge protection for my electronic gear - it's just double protection that can't hurt ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:44 pm

We had lost a couple of appliances and a computer with power surges. I found out the power company
had a surge protector you could have them install. It costs $2.99 a month extra on the bill, think its
called a Strike Shield??, but we have not had any problem with surges since and its been on a couple of
years. It can protect from an EMP, really? Well if so, that is definitely a big big plus.
PatrioticStabilist

Return to General Preparedness Discussion