• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

What do you make at home?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

What do you make at home?

Postby dressagerider95 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:22 am

One of my projects for the upcoming year is to grow sugar beets and make sugar out of them since that is something that will be really needed. I have lots of other self sufficiency projects but I was just wondering what does everybody here produce at home? ie what could you keep making indefinitely.
dressagerider95

Re: What do you make at home?

Postby Alaska Rose » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:39 am

We tap birch trees and make syrup, it takes twice as much birch sap as maple to make a really nice syrup or cooked down a bit farther and make birch candy. I save vegetable seeds to hopefully be able to continue growing vegetables that do well here. I would like to try sugar beets, but have not found a source of heirloom seeds for them yet.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Elona » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:16 am

I would gladly plant sugar beets as Kansas used to make a lot of sugar and then quit because of cheaper ways to get sugar from cane.

Do you have any instructions on how to make sugar from sugar beets?

I do a lot of home canning, I crochet hats, sweaters, etc but thats about it for actually making things.
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here It takes a person two years to learn to talk and the rest of their life to learn not to. (my father's saying)
Elona
Kansas State Moderator
Kansas State Moderator

Postby mmszbi » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:53 am

Don't know about the indefinitely part......the wife and I have been learning and doing a lot of canning. We get a lot of our produce from the garden. I do a bit of reloading, feeding several of the arms. That is pretty dependent on the availability of components.
Politically Correct simply means you can pick up a TURD by the clean end!
mmszbi
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby mmpaints » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:04 pm

Ah ha, this should read "what can you produce for yourself at home". I produce cheese and butter from the goats and cow I milk, i grow all my own produce ( can it and dehydrate), I raise and butcher rabbits, I produce me own hay and critter feed, I keep chickens, grind my own grains, grow my own wheat, pump my own water and supply a small amount of electric via a tiny solar set up. I keep horses for transportation if I end up needing to use them for that. I heat with wood and cool with a dip in the pond. i can also cook and bake with wood fire. I can sew, crochet, weave baskets, carve wood and I'm a dang fine shot with either a gun or bow.

I have several other skills such a mechanics, I can also reload ammo etc but those aren't going to do us all much good wshtf and the supplies needed aren't available anymore.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby MrDanB » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:05 pm

Interesting topic! I agree with the "indefinately" part too. I like to roast my own coffee on my BBQ and have green coffee beans stored up (read the current Wa state blog), I am a phenomenal dollar store shopper :), I have kept my 40+ year old car running well, I like tinkering with small engine repair, I have gigabytes of info on multiple usb devices and have ways to protect them and a laptop in case of EMP (and printed materials too).
I am looking into how to motorize a mountain bike cheaply right now (I have the info, just need to make time, buy the parts and try it) and then I will need to learn to refine corn into biofuel so I can get around (gas). Lots of neat stuff out there if you think "outside the box" :)
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby IceFire » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:56 pm

I raise (and can and dehydrate) a lot of my own produce, and now am raising and producing some of my own meat as well (rabbits), in addition to hunting (deer and turkey). I also am expanding my "medicinal garden" (herbs/plants that have medicinal uses) this coming year. I am also starting to experiment with producing my own fiber (cotton and linen, as well as the rabbit pelts, (learning to tan the hides) and plants to dye the fibers). I Also quilt and sew clothing, and can make candles and soap. I also know how to do basket weaving, although it's been a while since I've done it. I can also make moccassins and other leather goods.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby paladin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:59 pm

IceFire wrote:I raise (and can and dehydrate) a lot of my own produce, and now am raising and producing some of my own meat as well (rabbits), in addition to hunting (deer and turkey). I also am expanding my "medicinal garden" (herbs/plants that have medicinal uses) this coming year. I am also starting to experiment with producing my own fiber (cotton and linen, as well as the rabbit pelts, (learning to tan the hides) and plants to dye the fibers). I Also quilt and sew clothing, and can make candles and soap. I also know how to do basket weaving, although it's been a while since I've done it. I can also make moccassins and other leather goods.

Wow!! When I grow up I wanna be JUST LIKE YOU ! ( I am 60 now... and I keep telling DH- "when I grow up I wanna be TALLER")

I commend you for all your atributes... makes me feel ....... lazy.... ;)
Daniel 12:1
[ The End Times ] “At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will be delivered.
paladin

Postby IceFire » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:44 pm

paladin wrote:Wow!! When I grow up I wanna be JUST LIKE YOU ! ( I am 60 now... and I keep telling DH- "when I grow up I wanna be TALLER")

I commend you for all your atributes... makes me feel ....... lazy.... ;)

ROFL! I ust have this problem of having WAY too many interests! Grew up gardening, canning, and fishing, and I've done the sewing, and quilting for YEARS. Cooking and baking, too. Mom taught me well. Used to be EVERYONE did those things. Took up hunting after we moved here (actually, had wanted to for years, but it wasn't until we move up here that we were in a location where I didn't have to take off for a week to hunt. Here, we are literally SURROUNDED by state forests, game lands and just plain "open hunting" areas) Started raising the rabbits this last spring, and the cotton and flax will be VERY small scale--just a few plants, at first--so that I can "play" and experiment with extracting the fibers from the plants. Working with the pelts and hides is just part of making use of as much of the animal as possible...I HATE waste! The candles and soap-making are just fun, but useful hobbies that I learned how to do when I was in school, along with the basket making (Gotta love "enrichment" programs.) The medicinal garden is just a part of the rest of the garden, and got STARTED as a way to manage my migraines without always having to rely on prescriptions, but as I learned more about essential oils and medicinal herbs, I wanted to grow more. I try to learn at LEAST 3 or 4 new "skills" every year. Some years, I learn several more than that...I'm a firm believer in "lifelong learning"...it helps keep the mind young.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Wendy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:55 pm

We make a lot of what we use, but the two that will have a great deal of value in a lower energy society are lye soap and mead cider. Both products contain only those ingredients which we can grow/produce ourselves here in Maine ;).
Wendy

Postby Alaska Rose » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:16 am

Yeah, I never even considered all the stuff I do as a matter of course and habit, LOL.

Icefire, have you tried using sourdough starter to tan the rabbit pelts? It works very well.
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby mrduke » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:25 am

alaska rose, ide be intrested in tanning rabbit pelts with sourdough starter, dose it work on any other pelts as well,
mrduke

Postby IceFire » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:50 am

Alaska Rose wrote:Yeah, I never even considered all the stuff I do as a matter of course and habit, LOL.

Icefire, have you tried using sourdough starter to tan the rabbit pelts? It works very well.

Rose, Never heard of doing that! Tell me MORE.....PLEASE!
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Alaska Rose » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:52 am

Stretch and tack down the pelt flesh side up, remove all fat and membrane and spread sourdough starter over the flesh side of the pelt to the edges. Let it rest until the starter becomes mostly dry, then start working the pelt after removing the pins, rubbing and lightly stretching it. If the pelt doesn't become a nice white uniform color, and soft, you may need to check for some membrane remaining on the skin and remove it. Reapply starter and repeat. The hide should be nicely soft and stretchy, and ready to use after you get done. You can do any small hide this way, it just has to be handled carefully so you don't tear the skin stretching it. It is more a trial and error methjod, in some ways, but gives a nice finished product. Makes very nice hats, mitts and booties for babies, or small children. If you have enough, even jackets and buntings. I don't know if you have used fur for sewing or not, usually best cut with a razor or exacto knife, while holding the skin up so you don't cut the fur as well as the skin. Make sur eyou have the fur flow going in the right direction for the finished product. If you are using a little bit thicker hides, stretch, dry and lightly sand to remove all membrane and to make a suede finish on the hide. This does not make a waterproof tan, if the hide gets too wet, it may revert to a rather raw state, lol. Battery acid tan does the same thing. You can even tan small hides using salt and apple cider vinegar. Most of these are more a cure than a good tan, but do make very good little garments. Most stronger tans discolor light colored furs. Chrome tanning makes a green leather and is washable, but isn't very pretty, lol. Really messes up white furs.
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby cheylynn » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:28 pm

There are so many ideas here. I'll keep checking back to add to my list of things to learn! I to think that one should continue learning for a lifetime. However considering the way things are going I think I have a lot of catching up to do first.
cheylynn
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion