• Advertisement

Got my GMRS license....Now What?

Topics related HAM and Shortwave radio and emergency communication

Moderator: WornOut

Got my GMRS license....Now What?

Postby tamtbell » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:39 pm

Hey all, okay just paid $65 (I thought it was cheaper??) for my GMRS license on the FCC website. Got it all printed out. Doesn't say anything about call signs or anything.
Is there anything that I'm missing? Anything that I need to do to complete it?
Can I just go on my GMRS radio now and transmit legally??

Yup, I know this isn't HAM, just GMRS. I'm trying to take the test for HAM over and over, (just really sucking at it. The idea of radio waves, the math involved confuses the heck out of me) so later I'll get my HAM.
Looking for help from those more experienced in this.
Many thanks,
Tam
Central Alaska.
For the moment we live in a day of peace, but it shall not ever be thus. Great trials lie ahead... and we must prepare ourselves temporally and spiritually.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Re: Got my GMRS license....Now What?

Postby Armordude » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:52 pm

TAM

Here is a site that will list the GMRS repeaters in AK
http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/sear ... a&band=150

For your ham test help:

Check out http://www.hamtestonline.com $25 for the technician section and they will give you your money back if you dont pass.

Chexk out this post I did on how to use it to study
http://www.preparedham.com/forums/index.php?topic=57.0

I used if for Tech and General at the same time and then 6 months later for the Extra.

Here is a post by a friend of mine who lives in Ak and he talks about all forms of comms in AK. He would be a good guy to befriend
https://www.survivalmonkey.com/threads/ ... ons.33818/
Respectfully
Armordude
http://www.preparedham.com

NRA Life Member
Certified Glock Armorer
Extra Class Amateur Radio Op & VE

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
Armordude

Postby tamtbell » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:40 pm

Thanks Armordude! How do I connect to repeaters with my GMRS radio?? I have managed to hear one or two people, along with NOAA, but that's about it.
Growing up Dad had a CB radio but it was always "you press the button, talk, say over, let go of the button and then let the other person talk"
For the moment we live in a day of peace, but it shall not ever be thus. Great trials lie ahead... and we must prepare ourselves temporally and spiritually.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Armordude » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:39 pm

First off look at this chart for GMRS freqs
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.ph ... nnel_chart

Look at the Alaska repeater site from my previous post, and look for those GMRS freqs on the list and find one near you.

What radio(s) do you have?

This may be easier via email. I will Email you my email address via this site

I did more searching amd it looks like there are no GMRS repeaters in AK :cursing:

The FCC license should allow your family to use them radio to radio.
Respectfully
Armordude
http://www.preparedham.com

NRA Life Member
Certified Glock Armorer
Extra Class Amateur Radio Op & VE

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
Armordude

Postby tamtbell » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:15 pm

responded.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:15 pm

You buy a half dozen Baofeng GT-3TP Tri-Power radios, and send them to the APN testing and evaluation department for certification. ;)
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby tamtbell » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:40 pm

ha ha! I wish I had that much disposable income right now Ray. We've been working super hard on becoming debt free, so it's meant beans and rice and then rice and beans when we're tired of beans and rice. Good news is if everything stays calm for the next 8 mos or so, we'll be in a new house where we'll have the ability to continue on with projects. Bees, chickens, big garden, alternate heat sources. good stuff.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Defcon09 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:50 am

tamtbell wrote:Thanks Armordude! How do I connect to repeaters with my GMRS radio?? I have managed to hear one or two people, along with NOAA, but that's about it.
Growing up Dad had a CB radio but it was always "you press the button, talk, say over, let go of the button and then let the other person talk"

Most all 'blister pack" GMRS radios do not offer capabilities to access repeaters. To do this you need a radio that offers repeater "offset' frequencies which is 5 mhz higher than the simplex frequency you use when transmitting on these off the rack units. Now, most of the ham type transceivers DO offer offsets, and then one should have the capabilities to enter tone codes. Some repeaters will not open up to use unless there is a tone transmitted with the signal, aka, CTCSS.

When you are ready to set up a bigger base station making full use of your license you can get some of the older business mobile transceivers that has 25 - 50 watts of power. These are Motorola, GE/Ericsson and can be found on eBay. There are even people that will reprogram these radios to work very well in the GMRS band for FREE! Just need to shop around and join a user group on Yahoo and other places. I have had some UHF portables reprogrammed free and they worked very well. Just make sure you can get good or new batteries for the portable ones.

Good luck.
Defcon09

Postby tamtbell » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:51 pm

Thanks Defcon. For now I'm just getting my toes wet, a bit overwhelmed by radio. I can honestly say I am not even certain how regular AM/FM radio works other than there is a radio wave there and somehow the radios get it. Beyond that, it's all greek.
Now ask me for processing time for cranberry jelly, and I'm all over it. :)
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby JerryTheViking » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:05 pm

tamtbell, don't worry about the theory and detailed inside operation of radio, as it's not what you will be concerned with (1) to pass a ham test, or (2) to set up and operate your first radios. The easiest way I know of to get through the ham test is by memorization / recognition of the correct answer for a given question. Of course that's not the OFFICIAL way to pass the test, but it works. I have an app on my phone called Amateur Radio Exam 1.0.35 Pro (find it in your app store). I think it cost me a couple bucks. You actually run through the 35 question test over and over and over until the answers to the questions are recognizable and you start scoring 80 - 90% consistently. Then you go take the Technician test and you will surely pass it.

Now, for GMRS.... DefCon09 speaks the truth, there are many radios out there that will work for GMRS frequencies which cannot be accessed with "most" ham radios because they are outside the ham band. But, look in to a mobile QYT KT8900 vhf / uhf radio, or a handheld Boufeng UV5R. They are sold as dual band HAM radios, but like many of the inexpensive Chinese made radios, are actually able to transmit on the commercial band frequencies where the GMRS band lies. I recently ordered the QYT mobile radio from E-Bay for $50, and it should be here any day now. It is capable of setting in the GMRS repeater offsets and PL tones that are required to get BOTH sides of a repeater. This radio is TINY, but will transmit with 20+ watts which is 4 times what the off the shelf FRS / GMRS walkie talkies will do. Coupled with a good quality antenna and you are talking for MILES rather than fractions of miles. Until you get your ham license, use your GMRS license to talk about as far as most hams can on their first radios. The UV-5R is a handheld 5 watt radio, but most that have them LOVE them because they are inexpensive and can cover the GMRS freqs as well as the VHF / UHF ham bands.

Good luck!!!
Viking Heritage, Patriot Always!
Communications A.N.T.S.
JerryTheViking
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Postby tamtbell » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks for the info jerry!
You know another frustrating thing, there are almost no how to videos on how to operate GMRS radios or HAM. A year or so ago I finally figured out how to simply get NOAA. I know how to use a CB radio because my Dad taught me. Just wish I could figure out these other kinds.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Scoutmaster » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:27 am

tamtbell

Just a little background I have been a Ham scene 1968 built dozens of radios and repeater systems UHF VHF and 220 ham systems. so I have a little experience with it. Not really sure you will want to hear this but being in Alaska unless you are in a very populated location GMRS will do you very little or no good at all. The frequency's they work on are very short unless you have the repeater on top of a mountain,, for the most part are very low power and for any kind of distance ineffective. Rather than spending a lot of time and money I guess you already have. Use it for your local home and security only and move quickly on to get your tech then general so you can reach out and talk any where in the world you need to.

There is tons of info on the net practice test on the net,, last time I ask there was not a lot of the math and just a bit of the radio wave ( what you call it) stuff in the tech and only a little more on the general. The Biggest help would be find your self an elmer (person fellow ham to take you under their wing) they love to talk and tell others you will learn much more person to person them showing you their equipment and may be even using it. and them explaining what you see in the books or on line.

Just so you understand what is being suggested and I am not sure you would know this by what you said. It is illegal to do what is being suggested. It is generally excepted practice but still technically illegal it is done by as many as not . but to do with non type excepted radios and over power Could cause you to loose both your ham and GMRS licenses and pay a fine. They also will transmit on many emergency frequency's that are Police,EMS,Fire, Coast Guard, Marine radio and many others As long as you know where and what frequency they are on and what you use it will work. But don't transmit on the wrong frequency they get real upset when you do that. That is even a bigger fine.

But, look in to a mobile QYT KT8900 vhf / uhf radio, or a handheld Boufeng UV5R. They are sold as dual band HAM radios, but like many of the inexpensive Chinese made radios, are actually able to transmit on the commercial band frequencies where the GMRS band lies. I recently ordered the QYT mobile radio from E-Bay for $50, and it should be here any day now. It is capable of setting in the GMRS repeater offsets and PL tones that are required to get BOTH sides of a repeater. This radio is TINY, but will transmit with 20+ watts which is 4 times what the off the shelf FRS / GMRS walkie talkies will do. Coupled with a good quality antenna and you are talking for MILES rather than fractions of miles. Until you get your ham license, use your GMRS license to talk about as far as most hams can on their first radios. The UV-5R is a handheld 5 watt radio, but most that have them LOVE them because they are inexpensive and can cover the GMRS freqs as well as the VHF / UHF ham bands.

It would be a shame for you to be talking to someone on your radio and walk into some sort of a FCC sting at a swap or something and loose your license and pay a fine for something you did not even know about. Be very careful the rules are followed very loosely now-a-days.
It is a lot of fun very helpful and I have used it over the years in many things that where not even related to ham radio. And what ever you do don't have your first radio a HT, Not enough power and usually the wrong frequency for your location.

There is a lot of things done now-a-days in the interest of saving the hams our bands and the art it self. I understand why things have been made so much easier, as it seems to be the only way to revive life back into ham radio. It is quickly becoming the CB band of the 80s. even on HF

Good luck
PREPPERS SAVE THE EXCUSES, IT'S NOT ABOUT HAVING TIME, IT'S ABOUT MAKING TIME, IF IT MATTERS YOU WILL HAVE TIME
Every one has priorities, different for each of us, main reasons most of us can not form a group that will last our priorities are all different so are you. REMEMBER, IF YOUR PREP PRIORITIES ARE LOWER THEN THE PEOPLE YOU CAN'T WORK WITH, THEY MIGHT MAKE IT AND YOU WON'T, DON'T BLAME THEM FOR NOT OFFERING YOU HELP LATER, WHEN YOU FAIL LATER AND YOUR IN TROUBLE. BLAME YOUR PRIORITIES.
Scoutmaster

Postby Scoutmaster » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:43 am

Armordude

I am a bit confused GMRS is on the 460 MHZ segment part of the band on the repeater list you posted I do not see a single 460 MHZ system??

From what i can see most are Ham radio repeaters and NOAA weather frequency's. May be there is not much GRMS in alaska

This is the only one I can find in Ak

Delta Junction 5500 462.550 MHz
Delta Junction, AK Open System
PREPPERS SAVE THE EXCUSES, IT'S NOT ABOUT HAVING TIME, IT'S ABOUT MAKING TIME, IF IT MATTERS YOU WILL HAVE TIME
Every one has priorities, different for each of us, main reasons most of us can not form a group that will last our priorities are all different so are you. REMEMBER, IF YOUR PREP PRIORITIES ARE LOWER THEN THE PEOPLE YOU CAN'T WORK WITH, THEY MIGHT MAKE IT AND YOU WON'T, DON'T BLAME THEM FOR NOT OFFERING YOU HELP LATER, WHEN YOU FAIL LATER AND YOUR IN TROUBLE. BLAME YOUR PRIORITIES.
Scoutmaster

Postby jreb721 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:56 am

Go to QRZ.com and take the practice tests over and over until you consistantly score in the 80's. My first question when it comes to comms is who are you going to talk to. Do you have a buddy that has his license to. Everyone wants to go out and buy radios to talk and most do not have anyone to talk to. I have a fully equiped ham shack and if things get bad you wont hear me on the radio as I will be monitoring. Intelligence is the key. Now if you have a group then you may want to talk a little but I would be careful of just transmitting and talking to anybody. I would use all my transceivers as receivers. GMRS confines you to just a few channels in one band in one mode. Ham radio gives you a full spectrum of frequencies and modes to operate there is really no comparison between the two. Remember you want to know whats going on around you, GMRS will probably be silent if something happens. Where its at is AM for local during the day and long range at night, Shortwave with SSB for worldwide and a scanner for local public safety, those would be more handy than a walkie with just a few channels in it that you probably wouldnt even use.
jreb721

Postby Norman11 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:15 pm

Tambell,
When you receive Your Radio Station Authorization back from the FCC It will List your Name, Call sign, Grant date, Effective Date, and expiration date,,
It is a licence for everyone in your home to operate GMRS Radios that meet the power requirement of the FCC.
One Important thing to REMEMBER Is NOT all Radio manufacturers use the same Channell Numbers to match the Frequency numbers of the FRS and GMRS Radios
GMRS Channels 1 thru 7 , Match FRS Channels 1thru7, then the FRS channels 8 thru15, do not match GMRS and then GMRS Channels 15to 22, continue with out matching the FRS .
I know this sounds confusing It will help if you stay with one Radio Manufacturer in the Family and get to know the frequency Numbers of the channels you use.
On Line the LAFD CERT Radio Communication plan on Page 11 has a list of Channels and frequencies that conforms to the Motorola channel numbering system
Look It Up

Norman 11
Norman11

Return to Emergency Communications