• Advertisement

Hooking up with my friend via HF radio..

Topics related HAM and Shortwave radio and emergency communication

Moderator: WornOut

Hooking up with my friend via HF radio..

Postby orangetom1999 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:22 am

Last December my friend of many many years retired and moved to Tennessee way out in the mountains...and far up at the end of a country lane.

He has been moving his household trip by trip as he is no longer on the clock as are so many of us.

We are both Hams and having started so many years ago on the CB bands and once we got our tickets we continued to carry on via radio rather than phones. We are both not phonaholics so to speak.

With all the other complexities of moving and setting up a household...setting up his radio station has not been a priority.

But the last two days he managed to shoot his antenna up high in the trees...a 160 meter dipole...via a home made air cannon.

Last night and for the first time since he moved..we managed to hook up on the 160 meter band on lower sideband.

He is out near Johnson City, Tennessee and we figure the distance is some 400 miles.

Copy was good with some static crashes in there.

His signal was 9 to 10 over and audio quality was good. We were running barefoot with only the 100 watts in the radio.

It was good to know that our systems were so capable...and I am making plans to get my Ameritron 811 H back on line. I'd like to be able to bring my signal up to some 200 watts when the static is thick and get just above the static level.

Also we will be exploring 75 and 60 meters.

He is trying to brush up on his morse code skills to have this option to put into place should conditions get very bad on the airways.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Re: Hooking up with my friend via HF radio..

Postby Mountain » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:36 am

Good story Orangetom.
SEMPER PARATUS
PAX PER POTENS
Mountain
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:24 pm

my apologies. Double post.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks Mountain.

Follow up on my OP. Last night we hooked up again on 1.920 MHZ...LSB....or on 160 meters.

What was different this time is that we decided to check out how low we could take the output power and still maintain communication.

We started at 100 watts, the maximum the rig puts out. We wound up and decided on 25 to 30 watts. Any lower and we realized we would occasionally fade back into the noise level or weeds as it is sometimes referred.

I did not think we would be able to keep comms at that low a power setting but that was a very interesting "lessons learned" last night.

Should we switch to Morse Code when the noise level is much much higher....we now have a sort of reference line off which to follow.

160 meters, for now, has turned out to be quite a surprise.

Now we will be checking out other bands....75 and 60 meters and running the same pattern of power tests.

I have ordered some fuses for my Ameritron 811H amplifier. Plans are to try to keep it around 200 Watts if I can get it once again Q5. I've not run it in some years now. I suspect it has a serious case of "Arthritis" from being so long stagnant/dormant.

I discovered that for most of what I want to do 200 Watts is sufficient to get me above the noise level...and that is all I want. And it is plenty for most of the bands using CW or Morse Code.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby Mountain » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:49 pm

My old buddy I grew up with in Nor-Cal have had this plan for awhile ourselves. He was waiting on me to get my General, which I just did. Now I need a radio.
KK6MOE
SEMPER PARATUS
PAX PER POTENS
Mountain

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:45 pm

sorry..double post.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:45 pm

Mountain wrote:My old buddy I grew up with in Nor-Cal have had this plan for awhile ourselves. He was waiting on me to get my General, which I just did. Now I need a radio.
KK6MOE

Yeah..Mountain,

Years ago when I had earned my General and Advanced Ticket at the testing session ...I too did not even have an HF radio. I only had a two meter walkie talkie and a 10/11 meter rig. It took me some 9 more months to scrape up the funds to get a used Yaesu FT 890. I still have the rig but am running a Icom 706 currently.

Looked you up in the book...you are up there in them thar Hills.

I work in a shipyard and my friend to whom I am speaking retired from there. All the big nuclear carriers are born here in this shipyard. Submarines too.

Getting ready now and headed to the radio roomto try to contact my friend again on 160 meters. Perhaps if you have a receiver...shortwave...with SSB..capabilities you can pick us up. We will be operating somewhere in the 1900 to 2.000 MHZ range...wherever we can find a quiet spot...LSB Mode.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Return to Emergency Communications