• Advertisement

Are CB radios still an option?

Topics related HAM and Shortwave radio and emergency communication

Moderator: WornOut

Re: Are CB radios still an option?

Postby TRex2 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:35 pm

Since I will be operating in an uncongested area, I wouldn't need to fix them up.
Just use them as is. I might look into them.

After I get my allowance, LoL
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby straightshooter » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:47 am

I think CBs are an excellent option - as a PART of a person's comms preps. I'm just getting started in this area. Last night at work I was just bs-ing with a co-worker and remarked about the rather large antenna on his vehicle, I assumed it was for HAM and he corrected me that it was for CB. After a short discussion about atmospherics, peaking, tweaking and a bunch of stuff I don't understand he says that he goes up on a hill outside of town and can talk with people on BOTH coasts. NO SHIDooDLE! Back in his office he pulls up conversations from the internet to back up his story. Yeah he's peaked and tuned his SSB equipment, got a not-so-subtle antenna and "might" have amped his output but even at low power he's talking a long ways in certain conditions.
To make a long story shorter, he had a peaked and tuned radio he bought online and decided he could part with for a Grant FR note. It's a steal in my book, and going home with me in the morning. Whoopie! Another project for October '16!
straightshooter

Postby TRex2 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:39 am

True: CB is an excellent option. But only under very certain circumstances should you consider it a primary communications piece. I used to do CB/SSB back in the 70's, so I know all about what he is talking about, but for the prepper, reliability of their comms is the priority.

Sure, I could talk cross country if the conditions were right, but the important thing was that I could talk to someone a dozen miles away, every single day. Congratulations on what seems to be a good purchase, and I hope you do well with it.

(You're in or near the mountains... wonder how a CB/SSB rig with an NVIS antenna would work...)
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby Defcon09 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:19 pm

Affirmative here also. SSB would be best but regular AM is far more popular and would make an excellent form of comms with a group on the road or at the BOL.
Defcon09

Postby Roaddogg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:28 pm

With all of the options that was stated before... In a SHTF situation, with a CB radio, you can at least listen to the truckers on channel 19 as to where they are delivering supplies...What roads are opened / closed and so on.
Roaddogg

Postby Defcon09 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Yes it is.

Roaddogg wrote:With all of the options that was stated before... In a SHTF situation, with a CB radio, you can at least listen to the truckers on channel 19 as to where they are delivering supplies...What roads are opened / closed and so on.
Defcon09

Postby orangetom1999 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:57 am

A suggestion , If I might.....

A peaked and tuned radio is fine...for sure.

However...there might come conditions in a SHTF situation where you do not want to leave a peaked and tuned fingerprint...or running so much power that you stand out all across the country or country.

With this in mind it is often nice and convenient to have a variable resistor installed in line by which you can adjust your out put power up or down as needed. This no matter how powerful your final transistor puts out the watts. In this manner it us up to you as to how big a fingerprint your rig leaves in the airwaves.

This is common on most HF Ham radios and I have seen CB'ers who have incorporated this feature into the backs of their rigs.

You might not want everyone to know you are there by leaving a huge amount of power...a huge fingerprint ...to let everyone know you are there.

For those of you who know how...a directional antenna and adjustable power are optimal....and for those who know even more....the ground plane of your vehicle and how to use it to your best advantage helps as well...with adjustable output power. In otherwords the transmitting pattern of your mobile set up..how and in what direction your mobile antenna transmits the best.

This no matter what bands on which one operates.

Just a passing thought.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Previous

Return to Emergency Communications