• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

Cheap food

Discuss general food topics here

Re: Cheap food

Postby Sassy04 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:27 am

For medicinal purposes Vodka is the best to have on hand. Make sure it's 80-100% proof. The Herbal Medicine Maker's Handbook is the best to have on hand, you can make your own tintures with herbs from your garden.
Sassy04

Postby Lostfalls » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:09 pm

Some companies like Emergency Essentials give discounts for group buys. While I have never done it personally some folks on here group together, wait for a 'sale' on a product they need ex: freeze dried chili, then they will go buy a bunch of it. They save by combining the group/bulk rate + the sale price, and i think on shipping too.

EE goes over their group buy policies on their website....
Lostfalls
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Postby theicevalkyrie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Depends on your definition of cheap.

Canning your own food isn't always "cheaper" you have to grow the food which requires water, fertilize and if seeds versus starts. But it is better for you. Getting good deals on other things to can will help. Farmer's markets (road side stands are really cheap) are good fresh options. You can dehydrate all fresh stuff (but then again you run the dehydrator all day). I can make jerky much cheaper than buying it.

You can use coupons every week when you go grocery shopping to collect food slowly (easier on a budget). I will say however, brand name canned food tends to have a later expiration date. Most of the food at the dollar store (or store generics) can be eaten but closer to expiration it loses more nutrients and may not taste as good. Personal opinion here.
Just your local, friendly geologist with a good nature.
theicevalkyrie

Postby fallingstar51 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:45 pm

I am a coupon clipper. I don't go to extremes like seen on TV however. I get Sunday's paper which has coupon inserts. I clip coupons for items I use and then check out the weekly sales paper. I have saved quite a bit of money using my coupons and have a good stockpile of dish detergents and liquid hand soaps that I paid around .25 each after my coupons.
fallingstar51

Postby Pedro wyoming » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:30 am

Welcome aboard Bamainno.
Regarding the groceries...GYO. Start up is pricey buying canning kit, grain grinder, meat grinder, seeds and tools. The long term payoff is well worth the investment. If your safe place/BOL/retreat is rural, you can be eating your own produce before you run out of stored goods...and have barter if you are prepping for Teotwawki (the end of the world as we know it).
Regarding bourbon...make your own. Equipment, recipes and fermenting techniques are available online. It aint hard :clap: . It takes more time than effort. What comes out of the still can be cut to 80 proof and aged in charcoal for bourbon :evil: , used straight for medicinal purposes or as fuel in a real pinch.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby mpkernop » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:54 am

In Graysvilel there a place called, Wise Buys. It's a bent and dent. I can go and spend about 150.00 and have about two buggies full of groceries. Great place.
mpkernop

Postby kappydell » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:00 pm

check with feed stores for bulk grains. check witn canneries to see where they send their dented cans (one near my house sells dented veggie cans for $6 a case of 24.) factory outlet stores are sometimes good, sometimes not (my local sausage maker sells the bend places where the jerky sticks are hung over the rack to dry by the pound. Ditto spaghetti bends from a spaghetti maker)
Cheese factories have 'seconds' too. sales in the newspaper can be useful. food co-ops will allow members to purchase bulk items with others for a better price break. Is there a meat cutting school at your local technical school? Offer to buy some of the mis-cut or crooked meats. Ditto for baking school for baked goods. Is there an ag dept at your local university? my local one sells cheese extremely cheaply - they have to do something with all the milk they get daily - (I won't go into their great ice cream, as it is not really all that good a prep food, but BOY it is good...) go to the roadside stands at day's end. some of the smaller ones will make a deal so they don't have so much food to pack up and remove. Ask orchards for 'cull' apples - cosmetically blemished, they still can up and cook up and dehydrate just fine. When my parents grew apples we always set aside the unbruised culls for some older ladies who we knew wanted some to put up. Sold them for practically nothing, as they would not take them as charity. Ask anyone you see with a tree that has fruit sitting on the lawn if you can come pick up their windfalls - they will appreciate it. Cut off the bad parts, save the good. I have even approached the city parks dept and picked up apples in city parks - ditto picking mulberries. They think I am wierd, but I don't care. I drop off some jelly at Christmas to stay in their good graces....
ask local farmers (if you see any) if you can glean the edges of their fields, especially if they grow vegetables for the canning company. The equipment often does not do corners well, and you can put up an awful lot of gleaned food. The corn pickers and pea pickers miss quite a bit even from the main field. The semis enroute to the cannery have to dump food if they are caught by the DOT overloaded - ask at the scale if you can have some of the food, or check after the scale closes when many piles of food are dumped. I know a church that had one heck of a sweet corn roast after getting several pickup truck loads of corn that way! Potatoes are a frequently dumped item in my neck of the woods, too, and they keep fine in a cool place. There are LOTS of places to get cheap food if you keep your eyes open.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby GSF » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:04 am

I've always heard to stay away from the "bent" cans. Something about something.

I know I've been a big help.
GSF

Postby Davo45 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:48 am

In my experience many, if not most of the food products at bent & dent grocery stores are close to their expiration dates. I've eaten food from many dented cans and occasionally buy from bent & dent type stores, but not for storage purposes, just for eating rather quickly. The prices are cheaper for the most part.
If you fail to prepare you prepare to fail. ~ Benjamin Franklin

A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. ~ Proverbs 22:3
Davo45

Postby theicevalkyrie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:02 pm

I think the dented cans are ok, but you want to keep an eye on them for bulging. Bulging=bad. I typically will definitely choose non-dented usually but a lot of amish/bent and dent stores typically will have stuff merely close to or already expired.
Just your local, friendly geologist with a good nature.
theicevalkyrie

Postby bamajim » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:26 pm

I went to Aldi the past weekend and yes, their prices are incredibly low.
bamajim

Postby bigbamaguy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:23 pm

ALDI's is a great place for quality non-namebrand, great tasting food at incredibly low prices. We are headed tomorrow to raid the ALDI's here in town.
bigbamaguy

Postby kappydell » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:36 pm

theicevalkyrie wrote:I think the dented cans are ok, but you want to keep an eye on them for bulging. Bulging=bad. I typically will definitely choose non-dented usually but a lot of amish/bent and dent stores typically will have stuff merely close to or already expired.

The place I buy checks the seals and such before offering them for sale to cover their tails. Their cans might be up to a year old but since canned veggies last 3 yrs (and with my cool, cool storage I've had them as old as 7) you can still get some storage. I have read some research that found that 'expiration dates' on canned goods are more like 'best by' dates, and they do not lose any nutritional value. The only thing I have noticed is that after enough time they might develop a tinny taste, which to me is the time to toss them.

(the employees of the canning company also gave me a copy of the can codes for what is inside the cans and the date they were canned, so Im not too worried)
kappydell

Previous

Return to General Food Topics