• Advertisement

Just When I Thought It Couldn't Get Any Worse

Post general topics here

Just When I Thought It Couldn't Get Any Worse

Postby Permafrost » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:08 am

So it is around 1 am and it is raining so hard it woke me up. Raining, in January only a hundred miles from the arctic circle. Right now it is colder in Huston Texas than it is in Fairbanks Alaska. It is 32 degrees above zero right now. On top of the record setting heat wave we have had all winter, and all the sled dog races getting rerouted, and the open water on rivers that should be frozen solid with no open holes, we are now warm enough to rain. As of January 5th there was only 13" of ice at the landing (per NOAA) on the Tanana River at the thickest spot, when there should be at least 20" in a average of 5 test holes. I've seen warm spells before, but nothing like the winter we are having. In previous years winter was arriving later and departing earlier, but at least we had a winter. I am beginning to think winter might not get here at all this year, or if it does we might only get a month of good ice for freighting. Luckily the rain woke me up and I was able to go out and turn on the freezer, although I almost cried when I did. If someone would have told me 10 or 20 years ago that I would need a freezer in January because it would be to warm to keep stuff frozen, I would have laughed my a$$ off. Now I can only wonder if I will hang on long enough to get good river ice so I can do some trapping & haul some freight for customers, or if I will be broke by spring.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Re: Just When I Thought It Couldn't Get Any Worse

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:57 am

looks like all the Alaska reality show TV producers will be pulling out their hair ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 am

I hate to hear that Permafrost. It has certainly been a very odd winter for us here in Georgia. Been the coldest winter in quite a few years here.

FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby oldasrocks » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:50 am

I wish I could send some of our Missouri weather to you. (you probably sent us yours) It's 8 am and it's -2F outside. Last night -5F and yesterday the high was 8F. It MIGHT get up to 20 today.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby danthman114 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:20 am

its the same here in Yuma az as every other year...
danthman114

Postby oldasrocks » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:47 pm

If I didn't have bad luck--First the heater coil goes out in the Nitro, then lost oil pressure in the pu. Last night at 3 am I woke up cold. The furnace is DOWN. Repair man just said they will have to order parts for this old furnace. GREAT.
oldasrocks

Postby Permafrost » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:looks like all the Alaska reality show TV producers will be pulling out their hair ....

They are probably going to love it. They will either use it to push their BS agenda of "man made climate change" or play it up for the drama. I'm not saying there is no global warming, but I think that the wildfires that just ravaged California polluted the air more there than the state pollutes through vehicles in a year. If they go the drama rout they will show people running out of food or going broke because they can't get to their trap lines, unfortunately this will probably be true to some extent and would actually be reality.

Or they will just get creative with the camera work and people will never know. Life below zero has people thinking that Jesse Homes lives in the middle of nowhere when in reality he is in Nenana on the main highway between Fairbanks and Anchorage, all done through creative camera work and carefully edited footage.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:27 pm

Permafrost wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:looks like all the Alaska reality show TV producers will be pulling out their hair ....

They are probably going to love it. They will either use it to push their BS agenda of "man made climate change" or play it up for the drama. I'm not saying there is no global warming, but I think that the wildfires that just ravaged California polluted the air more there than the state pollutes through vehicles in a year. If they go the drama rout they will show people running out of food or going broke because they can't get to their trap lines, unfortunately this will probably be true to some extent and would actually be reality.

Or they will just get creative with the camera work and people will never know. Life below zero has people thinking that Jesse Homes lives in the middle of nowhere when in reality he is in Nenana on the main highway between Fairbanks and Anchorage, all done through creative camera work and carefully edited footage.

nothing much to film - most only film the winter activity and mud & rain isn't going to pay the bills - I checked Stan Zaray of Yukon Men website - he's got spring also ....

that Jesse Homes is the new guy on the show - he doesn't really fit that show - he lives in that Yukon Men neighborhood ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Permafrost » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:nothing much to film - most only film the winter activity and mud & rain isn't going to pay the bills - I checked Stan Zaray of Yukon Men website - he's got spring also ....

For these folks there is always something to film. If they run out of stuff they just make something up. Yukon Men got slow a few years ago and needed some drama, so they had a wolf "menacing" the village of Tanana. The fact is that the "wolf" was someone's mostly blind sled dog that was so old it could hardly walk, and it was going to be put down anyway. With a little creative camera work the viewers never knew and ratings went back up. You got to love reality TV, it may not have much reality in it but it does keep the masses entertained & provides valuable income to places that would normally have none.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:04 pm

Illini Warrior wrote: he lives in that Yukon Men neighborhood ....

We all live in the same neighborhood, so to speak. I have dealings with both production companies, but on the "don't film me" side of things. Since we have a extremely low population, we all see and know each other. If you only run into a few hundred people a year you tend to remember and build relationships with them all. That neighborhood stretches from Nenana on the Tanana River down to Ruby on the Yukon River and up to Rampart on the upstream Yukon River side.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby catfeet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:48 pm

Well, plan on that changing again. We're going into the Grand Solar Minimum again in a few years and it should be getting colder globally. I follow a guy on youtube who does this stuff. He's a bit annoying, but has fairly decent science. Name of his channel is the Oppenheimer Ranch Project.
Here's a bunch of new papers on climate change - in the colder direction.

http://notrickszone.com/2017/12/28/7-ne ... mF5fZ.dpbs
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:56 pm

I truly hope you are right catfeet. I have little faith in most scientists though, they all seem to have a agenda. It is easy to cherry pick data to make stuff look however you want. All I know is what I see and experience personally, and for the last few years I have seen permafrost that has been frozen since the last ice age melting. I know it should be way below zero here and it is 20 something above zero today. I know my cabin has sank between 6 & 8 inches depending on what corner you measure from. I know I can fly over my river & see open water when the ice should be thick enough for me to haul 2 or 3 ton loads behind my snowmachine.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:42 pm

I can tell you where it is cold, maybe not this week. But in Watertown, NY last week was -31
and they have LOTS of snow. They told us was because it was so hot this summer that lake
Ontario really heated up. They said now what they are getting is lake effect snow from it.
The polar air that came down sure cooled it down up there too. Quite a winter they were
having, believe it is warming up this week, finally is in southern Indiana too.

I guess some of the other lakes finally freeze over but it doesn't. Never knew any of this
stuff. DIL loves it, said its like back home in Armunsk, Russia, son has no problem with it
either.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby catfeet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:36 pm

I'm from CNY - Watertown ALWAYS has loads of snow. CNY is the snow capital of the lower 48. No snow there means that it's either too warm or too cold to do it.
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Return to Alaska Discussion, News, and Weather