• Advertisement

Well, are you stocking up??

Post general California topics here

Re: Well, are you stocking up??

Postby daaswampman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:11 pm

ReadyMom wrote:This is the first that I've ever read about this, Swamp. So ... do you paint it on, like a patch? -k

Does not really matter as long as as it has contact with the skin! We use it in the ER and OR as a skin prep, just swab it on with a gauze. Since most people are already deficient in iodine, one could use it for everyday cuts, scrapes, rashes, etc. The tablets are a scam and do not offer as much protection as can be achieved by other methods. It also has several everyday uses which cannot be said for the tablets. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:49 am

We picked ours up at Sahara Mart , but after reading Swamps post I think betadine might be a better idea....
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:23 pm

ForwardPreppers wrote:Also, it would be wise to consult your physician about possible side effects of KI pills before they are needed.

Mrs FP

If you have an allergy to shellfish, it's best to avoid iodine. Also, if you can't tolerate the contrast dye used when undergoing hospital imaging, you may have an allergy to iodine.

I am allergic to iodine so I stock Sea Kelp tablets. Less effective as they are lower dose but a step above nothing and better than anaphylactic shock.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby daaswampman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:24 pm

Blondie wrote:
ForwardPreppers wrote:Also, it would be wise to consult your physician about possible side effects of KI pills before they are needed.

Mrs FP

If you have an allergy to shellfish, it's best to avoid iodine. Also, if you can't tolerate the contrast dye used when undergoing hospital imaging, you may have an allergy to iodine.

I am allergic to iodine so I stock Sea Kelp tablets. Less effective as they are lower dose but a step above nothing and better than anaphylactic shock.

It would be a good idea to see an Allergist to know what you are allergic to and not just assume it is iodine. Swamp

[snip]

Allergic reactions to iodine usually stem from iodine-­based contrast dyes injected to sharpen pictures in medical imaging studies such as x-rays and CT scans. These reactions typically are mild and involve nausea, vomiting, itching, flushing and hives. But in some cases, reactions can be quite severe (anaphylaxis) with swelling of the throat, difficulty breathing, profound low blood pressure, convulsions, and cardiac arrest. If you’ve experienced a severe reaction as a result of the dye used for an imaging study, make sure your physician and the radiologist supervising any future x-rays or scans are fully aware of your history.

Strictly speaking, a reaction to an iodine-based dye is not the same thing as an allergy to iodine because it generally doesn’t stem from the same type of immune-system response as a true allergy.

Having a reaction to an iodine-based contrast dye is also not the same as an allergy to seafood, which may be rich in iodine. If you’re reacting to shellfish, the iodine it contains is unlikely to be responsible. It is more likely due to distinctive allergens found in these foods. Most people who are allergic to shellfish react to certain proteins these foods contain, not to iodine. You can be allergic to all types of shellfish or only to mollusks (clams, mussels, oysters and scallops as well as limpets, periwinkles, snails [escargot], abalone, squid, cuttlefish and octopus) or to crustaceans (crabs, lobster, crayfish, shrimp and prawns). Each of these two general types of shellfish contains different proteins. Andrew Weil, M.D.

https://www.drweil.com/health-wellness/ ... to-iodine/

http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-a ... sh-allergy
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:08 am

I am allergic to oysters only, can eat all other seafood, didn't realize why.

Usually keep Benadryl around most of the time, need to stock up. Not
sure about the iodine, but betadine stains.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:15 am

saw a posting on another prepper site - TX guy had the propane truck in for an early seasonal tank top off - driver said they were busier than an one-handed paper hanger - contributed the early season buziness to the Korean situation ....

if something pops overseas - a sudden rush to get tanked for the season could create another propane shortage in the northern areas again ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby farmer_dude48 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:18 am

DW works at a local drug store and tells me they no longer sell Tincture of Iodine.. If things get to the point that we need the Pills or betadine/ iodine I'm not going to worry about the stain...
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby JayJay » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:06 pm

anita wrote:
somuchtodo wrote:Can you tell me where you got the pills. I need/want to get some but I don't have a clue where to get them.

I got mine from Emergency Essentials. Online. Years ago. I wonder how long they last?

The shelf life of IOSAT 130 mg tablets is 7 years and the shelf life of ThyroSafe 65 mg tablets is 6 years.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby anita » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:16 pm

My son is allergic to shellfish (along with many other things) but he can eat calamari (squid). He says he gets a bit of a tingle from it, but no serious reaction. Fortunately shellfish is usually an easy allergan to avoid.
anita

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:22 pm

We checked our propane tank and we are still at 80% - haven't used much since topping off a few months back (plus it's been so hot, causing expansion).
Also going to refill some gas cans we rotate - were waiting for a pack of replacement caps. As we rotate our stash we refill when we get about 5 emptied so it's time.

Our KI pills haven't arrived yet, I wonder if they're experiencing a high volume of orders right now. I read the articles linked by swamp, what I didn't see is any reference to the pills being a scam. Any reference articles on that claim? What I did get from them is that any form of protection for your thyroid is better than nothing. Here's to praying I never have to use the darn things!

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby anita » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:20 pm

JayJay wrote:
anita wrote:
I got mine from Emergency Essentials. Online. Years ago. I wonder how long they last?

The shelf life of IOSAT 130 mg tablets is 7 years and the shelf life of ThyroSafe 65 mg tablets is 6 years.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to take a look at mine. I imagine 5 years, but time goes by.
anita

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:58 am

I bought tincture of iodine from a locally owned pharmacy, but the small bottle was $11.89.
It was either this year or last so some is out there. But then they also compound prescriptions
so they carry some odd items. I know the pharmacist there has commented on some books
I have read while waiting on scripts so think he is a prepper himself.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:02 am

Appears I have had a heart attack per the cardiologist yesterday. We don't know when and he ordered an
ultrasound to see if the valves were damaged. The big complaint is I'm sooooo tired the last 4 months or
so and not feeling like myself. He also is having my B12 levels checked. If anything turns up on the ultracound
then in for a heart cath, so hope it doesn't. I knew I was feeling bad but this has knocked the socks off me.
Just draggin' tail around here. When I had so much pain I took aspirin, likely saved me, now has me on a
dosage of baby aspirin daily. Like I said getting old is our limitations.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby ajax727 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:39 am

Well heck PS sorry to hear about the heart attack .We don't agree about things but a life is a life .
I spent over 4 hours at the heart doctor aka cardiologist yesterday . They shot me up with dye and took film (3 D) of my heart . Was strange to lay there and watch my heart pump blood and watch all the colors .I know something is wrong but got to wait to hear the results . I have no energy and give out real fast to the point if I sit down I would just fall a sleep . I am all ready on the baby aspirin along with several meds had the heart cath and stints a couple of years ago .
Planting no garden this year I have had to buy my goods from the stores to up our supplies count .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby anita » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:11 am

Sorry to hear that, both of you. Best wishes for good health!

anita
anita

PreviousNext

Return to General California Discussion, News and Weather