• Advertisement

Colorado Preppers Roll Call 11/27

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderators: cherokeenut, Crusis

Colorado Preppers Roll Call 11/27

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:50 am

Colorado Preppers, Check in and let us know what you've been doing lately to prep.
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Colorado Preppers Roll Call 11/27

Postby GHerrmann » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:30 pm

Shelves went up in basement last week end. bought some extra canned goods. trying to make more room in basement for 55gal drums for water storage.

My son shot up about 600rnds of my ammo, so he needs to replace it :x that may take awhile. I try to stay away from the stores this time of year. I hate crowds plus I'm disabled and have to walk with a cane, I'm always afraid someone will knock me down cause their not looking where they are going.
GHerrmann

Postby cherokeenut » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:24 pm

Well aside from playing around with my model RC airplanes (spy planes don't you know!) today, I'm getting ready to sit down and pack some food for storage. I have 150 #'s of rice, 75 #'s of pinto beans, 3 more boxes of dry milk and 4 more boxes of dry potatoes. Also have some Quaker oats and Hidden Valley ranch powdered mix to pack, I have a lot to do tonight!
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby Crusis » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:01 pm

GHermann, just a mention that if you're going to buy the new 55 gallon water storage containers from EE or some other place, Wal-Mart has 6 gallon containers for $10. I did a bit of price comparing, and those large containers are generally $70-80, and you pay another $15-30 for hand pumps, etc.

If you have water safe 55 gallon barrels already or can get them cheap, ignore this of course. But for the price of the 55 gallon setup (not including shipping which I'm sure if expensive) you can get 60 gallons of containers that are much more portable.

Floor space is a consideration too, but just go to Lowe's and buy some 2x4s and cheap floorboards and build some shelves that will allow you to stack the 6G containers. By the time you buy the wood, that would probably still be cheaper than shipping drums.

Just a thought, your situation might be best with barrels. But in my case the 6 gallon jugs seemed to make more sense with capacity, being able to buy water storage in smaller chunks, and portability.
-- Home Prepping --

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

-- Grandpappy --
Crusis
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby ramack » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi,

I'm answering the roll-call and combining it with my first post to the group.

Rich
Centennial
ramack

Postby mmszbi » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:54 pm

Western Slope POC checking in. Looks like oldest daughter is going to get married! Boyfriend took us to dinner last night and asked my blessing. I kinda figured he was gonna, so of course had to have a little fun. He's a smart kid, first asked me if I would take him shooting, told him after I got him a T-shirt from Target (get it?) and I would give him a 100 yard head start. :evil:
Unfortunately did not get much accomplished this month, but this week will be getting another 100# of rice and 100# of pintos. Wife is shopping for supplies to make a huge batch of gumbo so we can get it canned up.
Installed some motion detector lighting around the house and installed large truck bed toolbox in truck. Had to cancel my whitetail deer hunt to Eastern CO, I am seriously bummed. Would have very much liked to get a few deer canned up. Oh, and purchasing my first dehydrator next week! Woohoo! :clap:
Politically Correct simply means you can pick up a TURD by the clean end!
mmszbi
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby cherokeenut » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:52 pm

Crusis wrote:GHermann, just a mention that if you're going to buy the new 55 gallon water storage containers from EE or some other place, Wal-Mart has 6 gallon containers for $10. I did a bit of price comparing, and those large containers are generally $70-80, and you pay another $15-30 for hand pumps, etc.

If you have water safe 55 gallon barrels already or can get them cheap, ignore this of course. But for the price of the 55 gallon setup (not including shipping which I'm sure if expensive) you can get 60 gallons of containers that are much more portable.

Floor space is a consideration too, but just go to Lowe's and buy some 2x4s and cheap floorboards and build some shelves that will allow you to stack the 6G containers. By the time you buy the wood, that would probably still be cheaper than shipping drums.

Just a thought, your situation might be best with barrels. But in my case the 6 gallon jugs seemed to make more sense with capacity, being able to buy water storage in smaller chunks, and portability.

I agree, the wallyworld 6 gallons are a good way to go. They are stackable and are more easy to move, we designed our preps to be mobile so it fits with our plan. I had a bit more food than I thought, I have 8 buckets in the back room now from today and need to go get 4 more lids for the other 4 buckets. I need to get more popcorn from Sam's (for corn meal) and I need to get a source for more affordable dry milk than $13.50 per box at King Soopers (Kroger).
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby wolfwurxtattoo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:38 pm

new to the site....in s.e. colo. life is good......
as far as prepping goes....
training... cpr first aid instructor, NRA certified firearms instructor in handgun, shotgun, patrol and precision rifle, self defense instructor, tactical tracking, hunter education instructor
continuously building a pantry, and increasing necessary inventories, have a couple friends local that are like minded, things can always be better, but life is good....
god bless and take care
wolfwurxtattoo

Postby Crusis » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:31 pm

Welcome, wolf. You're lucky to have those local friends. I have one here, but a nice group of a dozen would be even better. ;)
-- Home Prepping --

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

-- Grandpappy --
Crusis
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby cherokeenut » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:23 pm

Welcome to CO! I'm the state moderator, crusis is the guy you'll want to hook up with as he's running the show in SE CO. Looks like you have a lot to offer the group, check out our search in the upper right and investigate anything you can think of. Post often, looking forward to meeting you!
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby wolfwurxtattoo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:30 pm

Hey Crusis, thanx for the welcome.... found this site out of the blue...trying to figure it out..... usually over at survivalblog.com.... checking out the new blogs, and reviewing the older ones.... nice to see some other folks out there local to colo... personally, a friend of mine handed me a copy of the book "patriots" by James Rawles.... I credit that book as my alarm clock, it woke me up..thats for sure and for certain....we have been "prepping" since. take care...and God bless.....
wolfwurxtattoo

Postby cherokeenut » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:34 pm

wolfwurxtattoo wrote:Hey Crusis, thanx for the welcome.... found this site out of the blue...trying to figure it out..... usually over at survivalblog.com.... checking out the new blogs, and reviewing the older ones.... nice to see some other folks out there local to colo... personally, a friend of mine handed me a copy of the book "patriots" by James Rawles.... I credit that book as my alarm clock, it woke me up..thats for sure and for certain....we have been "prepping" since. take care...and God bless.....

As a note we are looking towards May or June for a meetup in Golden, see the post under the state forum, oh and be sure to join it too.
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby Crusis » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:59 pm

What? Running the show? Huh... I didn't even realize there was a show. :)

Seriously, though, make that state meeting in May or June, wolf. I believe that is going to be a landmark for our group here making the contacts and creating the trust we need to be a real statewide network. If people live in Colorado and they don't turn out for that, it's noogie time. If you don't know what a noogie is, you're in for a very special surprise.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=noogie
-- Home Prepping --

-- Grandpappy --
Crusis
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby wolfwurxtattoo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:26 pm

may or june is a long way off,,,,, we'll see whats going on come april / may..... not real sure if handing out noogies is a good idea..... as far as a state meeting, just off the top, maybe a gun show, or ?????? vendors / sponsors..... like minded people surrounded by the tools of the "trade" something to think about...... and I think it will serve as a draw for bringing Colo preppers together...... just a thought,
wolfwurxtattoo

Postby cherokeenut » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:43 pm

Well the reason why we settled on the Golden carshow/cruise is that it's a very relaxed (and descrete) way for us all to meet. As I said in the other post, there are litteraly thousands of cars of any type there, the Jeffco Sheriff allows cruising till about 6 or so. I usually park my car at the Sonic and walk around most of the afternoon, I figured meeting at the sonic would be good, what's better than greasy burgers and good talk? After we've met and exchanged info then we can move on to a more formal type of getting together. We are a big state and it seems that with the exception of myself most don't live close to anyone else, so planing it out this far lets people put it on the calendar and be there. The othee reason for meeting there is it allows a certain amount of anonymity that we preppers like to have, you never know who is actually serious and who might be a mole. Even if you are not into old cars it's just plain a good time.
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Next

Return to Check In Here Colorado Preppers