• Advertisement

BUGOUT WEEKEND

Post general topics here

Moderators: cherokeenut, Crusis

Re: BUGOUT WEEKEND

Postby Atreus » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:28 pm

Not a bad idea but right now I feel more like bugging out to the Honolulu Hilton. :D
There won't be a declared "SHTF" day so be prepared.
Atreus
Michigan State Moderator
Michigan State Moderator

Postby mmszbi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:12 pm

I wonder how DOW would feel about an out of season deer season at the same time??
Politically Correct simply means you can pick up a TURD by the clean end!
mmszbi
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby founderant » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:43 pm

There's nothing like a good snow storm to test your skills and humble you. Fireant and myself went hiking on top of White Top mountain in West Virgina, did not check the weather, and got caught in a snow storm just as we cross the top. The cold wind cut through us at 60 miles an hour and forced us back over in a quick retreat. We set up our tent behind a boulder and hunkered down for the next 15 hours. The tent poles finally snapped and we woke up covered in snow.

The morning was beautiful as we hiked back down in knee deep snow, where we found a ranger waiting on us. He asked us if we knew the storm was coming? We said no, and he said, "thought so, sense your names were the only ones in the permit box."

Lesson Learned!

Here is a video I found on YouTube that shows the area.
Americans Networking To Survive
http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
founderant
A.N.T.S. Founder
A.N.T.S. Founder

Postby cherokeenut » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:43 pm

I does sound like a good idea. We designed our preps to me mobile, it has grown so large that we now need to decide what tubs and buckets go and which stay if we have to leave in a hurry. I think rather than just grabbing a bag and heading for the mountains, each family needs to get serious about their plan. This time of year could be deadly if you just up and left for the hills, you all know this to be true here in CO. I think the top priority is for those of us who are farther along to help those who are new and lost or not quite up to speed yet. We seem to have a huge amount of lurkers here in the CO forum, you all really need to start posting and getting involved. Take the approach that you can be a help to others rather than just what this forum can give to you. Crusis, have an opinion?"
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby mmszbi » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:12 pm

We might could work it to where we could be a safety net

Those of us in Colorado are spread out to pretty much all four corners of the state. I see this as a good thing, not a negative. Should an incident happen that does not effect us all, or our indiviual area becomes untenable due to distaster, conflict, disease, whatever, you could have a statewide support network. Cohesion among us can mean a much better chance of survival. Regardless if you have a BOL, you could a have at least another option. Who would argue that having options is a good thing?
How to go about it? That is the question. We all want to be assured of our security. At the least, a simple name and email or contact phone number list among us with a general area?
Thoughts? To get the ball rolling, send a PM to someone you are comfortable with here in Colorado. Open the line of communication.
mmszbi

Postby Crusis » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:21 pm

I think it's a good idea. We could learn to set snares together, talk about fire and fire safety, share a few tips on other things as well. I have a tent for a family so I might bring that if you guys want to bunk up in one, or I could bring something smaller if need be. Or we can practice our Les Stroud shelter building. Personally the thought of this makes my toes cold already, but it would be a reality check.

We'd need warm clothes, food for a few days extra than the plan, someone to check the weather to make sure we don't get stranded, and probably whatever each person wanted to bring that they wanted to practice their skills. I am personally interested in snares and traps, but also would like to look into placement of shelter, maximizing solar exposure, primitive cooking, personal comfort, avoiding exposure, and what I could do to make it better for my kids. I am not bringing my kids, of course, as they'll do nothing but complain. Same for the wife. She's ready to do it if she has too, but until then she is good with letting me figure it all out.

You can pretty much camp anywhere in the national forests, I know a good spot we use when we go. But if anyone has any suggestions I'm open. I can take a weekend, let the wife and kids bond at home, and meet you guys. Oh, I want to learn to fly fish too. They don't do that commonly in Indiana where I'm from. Anyone up for that? I have a noob setup, and... need to get some waders. Glad I thought of that. Hole in preps.

Peekachoo, I'm good with coming that far West, it won't matter to me. I am good with trying goat, too, I've never had it. I'll bring a few things from the stores to share with you for the kindness of feeding me if we come to you.
-- Home Prepping --

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

-- Grandpappy --
Crusis
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby mmszbi » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:30 pm

Peekachoo, the mention of having a goat cookin'....could we get in on that? I have a couple kids could use a reality check.

Do any of you that have a spouse or child that needs firearm instruction, but won't take it from you? Anyone here a firearms instructor besides me? Trade ya some classroom and range time for lessons in butching, food storage, etc? Anyone have specialty skill they want to share for something else, and area you may be lacking? This bugout weekend idea has great potential.
mmszbi

Postby Crusis » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:55 pm

I'm a jack of all trades. My real skill is in brainstorming, creative solutions, and working around issues with what is on hand. I did that for the FAA for a number of years, although it's a different setting than SHTF of course. That mindset has helped greatly in preparing for what's coming, however. I am really starting to feel like I'm filling the holes and finally getting somewhere.

Now all I need to do is add to the skillsets. Trapping and snaring. Fly fishing. Gill netting. Tracking. Butchering. Gardening.

I'd probably be a good shelter guy. I have a pretty good grasp of basic engineering, and if anything over engineer things. I built my own Jeep from the ground up with the help of a friend. That sort of thing requires materials, however, which might not be around if SHTF. That's where improvising comes in. I've never build a log cabin, but have reasonable confidence that I could do it without too much difficulty except possibly breathing at altitude.

I also have a knack of getting people to listen to me in a situation. Day to day I stay out of other peoples business, but believe me, if you can get a bunch of egotistic airline pilots to listen to your ideas, you can certainly get people with their feet on the ground to work together.

I really think, after my US Army preparing for economic collapse post, that's it's time for the state networks to really be just that. A network. I think we in Colorado can start setting an example of that, and possibly others will be inspired. There are numerous states that are already working on it. A good idea for all of us is to pick out people in our communities that we might want to include in a SHTF scenario. Doctors, perhaps. Architects. Construction workers. Nurses. Park Rangers. Firearms instructors. :) Botanists. A teacher. A mechanic. A brewer to make fuel. Other preppers with sense about themselves. Pick carefully, you might have to live with the results of your choices for a while. Unfortunately the people I know in Colorado Springs, except for one couple, are clueless sheeple.

If you're going to form a state network, you might want to coordinate that. "I will bring a teacher." "I know a Doctor who might want to help after SHTF" "I have a friend who is an engineer." That sort of thing.
-- Home Prepping --

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

-- Grandpappy --
Crusis
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby cherokeenut » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Don't think I'm silent on gthe subject, I'm thinking.
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby cherokeenut » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:05 pm

peekachoo wrote:Dont you have my email?

I sure do, I emailed you about 3 or 4 days ago.
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby cherokeenut » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Sorry about that, I pm'd you back instead of emailing, did you get my pm?
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby Crusis » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:22 pm

You guys are making me laugh. I found a 5 acre parcel near Florrisant that I'm looking at hard. It already has a well and is heavily treed. Driveway is cut into the property. I talked to my wife about it heavily today, we think we could afford it inside of two months, maybe three if we cut household expense to a minimum. I don't do credit except from my parents (despire Dave Ramsey's advice. :) ) but if I have to borrow a few grand they'll help out in a heartbeat.

I'll be just West of the front Range, right on Pike National Forest. I've got to get up there to see what it looks like in person, but the photos are awesome. It's not 35 acres, so it's a household well, but that's the most ignored law in CO so not too big of a deal.
-- Home Prepping --

-- Grandpappy --
Crusis
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby wolfwurxtattoo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:19 pm

hey folks..... chiming in from s.e. colo...... a bug out weekend sounds good, but I have my grandaughters on the weekend most times.... I could help on firearms instruction, NRA cert. on pistol, shotgun, rifle, and precision rifle.... among other things as man tracking, self defense, first aid, cpr ................... I like the idea of developing a network to provide options..... be glad to listen to any ideas that people have........
wolfwurxtattoo

Postby cherokeenut » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:07 am

Ok here are my thoughts on a bug out weekend, and mind you these are just thoughts. I can definitly see the advatanges of learning from those of you like peek about all things farm/ranch related, these are skills long lost to most of us unfortunately. I'm not sure we all need to camp in the middle of the winter however, since it may not be what everyone has planned for a BO. Our plan involves meeting at my parents house in the mountains, they have a bit of land and have a well. If we need to go further into the mountains then there are two other back up locations, both industrial and a great place to hide from seekers. I maintain that first off everyone needs to have a plan to bug in before they bug out, but in doing so plan on making your preps mobile as we have. I see so many pics and vids of people's pantries all stocked with food and supplies, that's great but what if you have 15 minutes to get out of the house, will you leave it all or will you grab it and go? As peek and his wife have done takes a lifetime to learn and grow into, I'm so glad they are part of the group because they are part of a small few these days that know those long lost skills. Crusis, I wish I had your resources to purchase land, my wife and I didn't make those smart decisions early on and although we don't have any debt we do have a $1800 house payment, ouch. That isn't to say though that we are not looking, we as a bigger family (under my mom and dad) are considering land as a family purchase for a BO location. What we seem to agree on is that a meeting needs to happen where trust can be established, contact information swapped. It has been suggested that a Feb meeting in Castlerock be a good start for the east side, I suggest those of you on the west side do the same. It sounds like some of you will be able to cross over back and forth too, that is a good thing. The important thing here is that we remain a strong growing support group, I'm tired and rambling so I'll let you all get back in here and share more ideas.
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby Crusis » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:21 am

cherokeenut, I'll be building a couple of 'outbuildings' on my property when I do get it. These will be emergency shelters for those who are on 'the list'. It won't be the Hilton, but I will do my part to be a good member of the network.

I have a feeling we will, unless choice is taken away, spend about 3 years building on any land we get, so it won't be available anytime soon, that's for sure.

I'll tell you the story about those 'resources', cherokeenut. It's no secret, I already posted it here once and I don't want to repeat myself (stock some precious metals) too much (buy some silver as part of your preps) so that you guys think (you'll need real money at some point) I'm some sort of single minded automation. (Gold isn't as flexible, get some silver).

I probably think I'm a lot funnier than you guys do. I know I'm funnier than my wife thinks I am.

Regardless, it took us some time to rebuild from a family disaster, and now it's finally paying off, although the wife does have student loan debt. That's all we have now, along with rent and utilities. Very liberating.

Back to the topic: I agree, I certainly don't have to camp out in Winter. It's not on my want to do list. But if you guys are going to do it, or something similar, I'll be in unless something really can't be scheduled around it.

Two firearms instructors, on opposite sides of the state, is a very good thing. I taught my wife to shoot, but I'm sure I left something out. My kids will probably listen to an instructor much better than me. That's how kids are. No amount of grounding, standing in the corner, ear pulling or dishwashing will change that.

Right now, cherokeenut, we don't even have a bug out spot unless you count Indiana. I'm not happy about that at all.
-- Home Prepping --

-- Grandpappy --
Crusis
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Next

Return to General Colorado Discussion, News and Weather