• Advertisement

New History Channel Series

Post links to videos here.

New History Channel Series

Postby Lynda » Wed May 30, 2012 1:38 pm

While watching the Hatfields and McCoys on the History Channel I learned that a new series will be debuting May 31 called Mountain Men. It looks pretty interesting and a couple is featured who've truly been able to live off grid for years(although they have running water and electricity now), in their log cabin. You can look up and learn about this series. I think it will hold my interest.

BTW, the "feud" is pretty interesting, too. :)
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Re: New History Channel Series

Postby AlabamaPoleCat » Wed May 30, 2012 4:01 pm

LO yeah it is... so far it looks like the McCoys are coming out on the short end of the stick. ;)
Revelations: " Good guys win Bad guys lose"

"One of the penalties of not participating in politics is that you will be governed by your inferiors." Plato
Sheep Dogs Unite!

Your god with his hammer loses the final battle. My God wins the final battle. Any questions?
AlabamaPoleCat
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Postby Lynda » Wed May 30, 2012 4:41 pm

AlabamaPoleCat wrote:LO yeah it is... so far it looks like the McCoys are coming out on the short end of the stick. ;)

It sure does, 'Bama. My goodness, everyone shooting everyone else and carrying on. :o Be sure to catch Mountain Men. I'm taping it.

Lynda

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed May 30, 2012 4:54 pm

We will have to watch that - we have been watching the mini series as well. I find it so interesting that they kill others so easily but I guess that may be how it was back then?
SC District 5

When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Lynda » Wed May 30, 2012 5:43 pm

ForwardPreppers wrote:We will have to watch that - we have been watching the mini series as well. I find it so interesting that they kill others so easily but I guess that may be how it was back then?

I think it's kind of like that now but in a different way, no?

Lynda

Postby OC357 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:11 pm

I have been watching the show myself. There is no winner in a fued. Both sides are losing family members one after the other in the fued. But seeing as it is a hollywood production I wonder how true to life the show is and how much is made up/dramatized for tv? Also, the fued wasn't really that long ago in history and I wonder what the Hatfield/McCoy decendants of today think about the fued and the show?

Anyway, that Mountain Man series that is coming on sounds interesting also so I will have to watch that one.

OC
I got nothing. I am just here for the ride.
OC357

Postby Lynda » Wed May 30, 2012 6:41 pm

OC357 wrote:I have been watching the show myself. There is no winner in a fued. Both sides are losing family members one after the other in the fued. But seeing as it is a hollywood production I wonder how true to life the show is and how much is made up/dramatized for tv? Also, the fued wasn't really that long ago in history and I wonder what the Hatfield/McCoy decendants of today think about the fued and the show?

Anyway, that Mountain Man series that is coming on sounds interesting also so I will have to watch that one.

OC

Great historical stuff if the facts are portrayed. Glad you're going to tune in to the new series. From the brief preview I saw and the little bit I read it should be worthwhile.

Lynda

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed May 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Lynda - I guess I agree that there is still senseless killing in today's society. It just seems different somehow when it involves a small community like that. Like, I understand some of the revenge stuff but I don't quite understand how those boys thought it alright to stab then shoot that one guy that then caused them to be tied to trees and shot. So then you're mad cause your boys were shot to death for killing a man? Then in turn they are hunted for killing the boys who killed your kin....goodness, I don't know how they kept it all straight! I guess you have good and bad in every family and how sad it was that so many had to die.
SC District 5

When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby Lynda » Thu May 31, 2012 4:48 am

ForwardPreppers wrote:Lynda - I guess I agree that there is still senseless killing in today's society. It just seems different somehow when it involves a small community like that. Like, I understand some of the revenge stuff but I don't quite understand how those boys thought it alright to stab then shoot that one guy that then caused them to be tied to trees and shot. So then you're mad cause your boys were shot to death for killing a man? Then in turn they are hunted for killing the boys who killed your kin....goodness, I don't know how they kept it all straight! I guess you have good and bad in every family and how sad it was that so many had to die.

I know, I couldn't keep it straight either. Family loyalty superseded everything else. Isn't this how urban gangs behave?

Lynda

Postby AlabamaPoleCat » Thu May 31, 2012 3:31 pm

Lynda wrote:
ForwardPreppers wrote:Lynda - I guess I agree that there is still senseless killing in today's society. It just seems different somehow when it involves a small community like that. Like, I understand some of the revenge stuff but I don't quite understand how those boys thought it alright to stab then shoot that one guy that then caused them to be tied to trees and shot. So then you're mad cause your boys were shot to death for killing a man? Then in turn they are hunted for killing the boys who killed your kin....goodness, I don't know how they kept it all straight! I guess you have good and bad in every family and how sad it was that so many had to die.

I know, I couldn't keep it straight either. Family loyalty superseded everything else. Isn't this how urban gangs behave?

LOL the more things change the more they stay the same. ;)
Revelations: " Good guys win Bad guys lose"

"One of the penalties of not participating in politics is that you will be governed by your inferiors." Plato
Sheep Dogs Unite!

Your god with his hammer loses the final battle. My God wins the final battle. Any questions?
AlabamaPoleCat
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Postby OC357 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Lynda wrote:
OC357 wrote:I have been watching the show myself. There is no winner in a fued. Both sides are losing family members one after the other in the fued. But seeing as it is a hollywood production I wonder how true to life the show is and how much is made up/dramatized for tv? Also, the fued wasn't really that long ago in history and I wonder what the Hatfield/McCoy decendants of today think about the fued and the show?

OC

Great historical stuff if the facts are portrayed. Glad you're going to tune in to the new series. From the brief preview I saw and the little bit I read it should be worthwhile.

"mountain Men" is on the History channel tonight at 9pm and I will watch it. Should be good. Maybe I will learn something....haha

OC
OC357

Postby Lynda » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:22 pm

OC, how did you like it? I finally got a chance to sit down and watch my recording and I thought it was as interesting as Doomsday Preppers, if not more. Amazing that people choose to live like this. Makes me feel spoiled and privileged. Good show. I find it inspiring.

Lynda

Postby namwal » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:24 pm

ForwardPreppers wrote:We will have to watch that - we have been watching the mini series as well. I find it so interesting that they kill others so easily but I guess that may be how it was back then?

Well that's how it was for those two families, but it was not that common, that's why it made national news then and scored a mini series today. After the civil war a great number of battle hardened soldiers were milling about armed with weapons and infantry skills. While they would be among the rowdy sometimes violent bunch that settled the west, the level of violence that these two families engaged in would not be seen again until today's modern gang warfare in LA or Chicago.  
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby OC357 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:05 pm

Lynda wrote:OC, how did you like it? I finally got a chance to sit down and watch my recording and I thought it was as interesting as Doomsday Preppers, if not more. Amazing that people choose to live like this. Makes me feel spoiled and privileged. Good show. I find it inspiring.

Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier Linda.

I thought "Mountain Men" was pretty good. More interesting than "Doomsday Preppers" to me also. Those people that are living off the grid mostly are "real preppers" with the skills to survive like our forefathers did. ......mostly anyway except the guy in Alaska that needed the bush plane to get to his trap line camp. If shtf he might not be able to get enough gas for the plane and snomobile, etc. Overall I thought it was a good show.

OC
OC357

Postby Lynda » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:12 pm

OC357 wrote:
Lynda wrote:OC, how did you like it? I finally got a chance to sit down and watch my recording and I thought it was as interesting as Doomsday Preppers, if not more. Amazing that people choose to live like this. Makes me feel spoiled and privileged. Good show. I find it inspiring.

Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier Linda.

I thought "Mountain Men" was pretty good. More interesting than "Doomsday Preppers" to me also. Those people that are living off the grid mostly are "real preppers" with the skills to survive like our forefathers did. ......mostly anyway except the guy in Alaska that needed the bush plane to get to his trap line camp. If shtf he might not be able to get enough gas for the plane and snomobile, etc. Overall I thought it was a good show.

OC

I feel exactly the same way. The guy in Alaska...very dangerous way of life, but the others were fascinating to watch and their skills fantastic. However, the Montana couple rely almost totally on hunting to see them through the winter. I'm assuming that the grocery store(100 miles away) would furnish their basic necessities. I read about this couple and they had no power or water for a number of years. No medical insurance or house insurance either. Still, they're tough.
I'm glad you liked the show.

Lynda

Next

Return to Videos, Movies, and TV shows