• Advertisement

One second after

Recommend books here

Re: One second after

Postby anita » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:47 pm

I was just on Amazon and the Kindle version of One Year After is $2.99 right now. I've been waiting for the price to go down to buy it.
anita

Postby Mountain mama » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:03 pm

On my must read list now. Thanks!
Mountain mama

Postby samberry » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:56 am

huh..... I have to buy this now.
samberry

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:48 am

anita wrote:I posted on another thread here that Alas, Babylon is available as an ebook for $1.99 right now on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Alas-Babylon-Harp ... lon+kindle

It was written in the 90s, and was pretty good, I thought. It's another classic.

I was a weeeee child when Alas, Babylon was a best seller - height of the Cold War - out of date on technology but still very relevant - not wrote in the 1990s ....

it's considered to be the great granddaddy of today's PAW fiction ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby anita » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:06 am

Illini Warrior wrote:
anita wrote:I posted on another thread here that Alas, Babylon is available as an ebook for $1.99 right now on Amazon.

It was written in the 90s, and was pretty good, I thought. It's another classic.

I was a weeeee child when Alas, Babylon was a best seller - height of the Cold War - out of date on technology but still very relevant - not wrote in the 1990s ....

You're right. It was written in '59. I guess I have a reprint. didn't notice.
anita

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:27 pm

anita wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:

You're right. It was written in '59. I guess I have a reprint. didn't notice.

probably saw one of the many many re-print dates .... it's still on many high school lists as recommended reading and term paper topics ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby LetsPrep11 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Must have been a very short sale! One Year After is now $9.99. Ridiculous price for an e-book! I won't pay more than $5.99 and that's only happened once or twice.

Read Alas Babylon after I came back from SE Asia in the early 70's. It scared me so bad that I've kept a well stocked pantry ever since. A year or so ago, kindle offered the book for free or $.99 and I bought. I spent decades trying to remember the name of that book, cause I thought others should read it, and now I'll never forget it. :lol:
LetsPrep11

Postby anita » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:34 pm

E-books have much of the same costs as a print book. The only differences are printing/paper/shipping. The other charges--editing, copyediting, proofing, marketing, publisher, rent, utilities, are still there.

Right now, print books bear a lot of the cost. E-books can be sold cheaply because they add incremental gain. But if/when we go to a much higher percentage of books sold as e-books, they will have to bear their share of the editing, etc. costs.

I think right now publishers are trying to feel their way on pricing so that the various types of books bear their own costs. But we're slowly seeing e-book prices increase, with fewer bargain prices (for traditionally published books--self-published is separate) for e-books as their share of the market increases.
anita

Postby Gunns » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:51 am

LetsPrep11 wrote:Must have been a very short sale! One Year After is now $9.99. Ridiculous price for an e-book! I won't pay more than $5.99 and that's only happened once or twice.

Read Alas Babylon after I came back from SE Asia in the early 70's. It scared me so bad that I've kept a well stocked pantry ever since. A year or so ago, kindle offered the book for free or $.99 and I bought. I spent decades trying to remember the name of that book, cause I thought others should read it, and now I'll never forget it. :lol:

Save your money.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Murby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Funny story...
The wife and I have been prepping for the past two months.. we're doing good.. have about 1000 lbs of food saved for the two of us + child.. The wife is kind of ho-hum about the whole thing... she goes along with it but its more of a "I support you" type of thing and she has this attitude of "well, we're going to use it anyhow eventually so go ahead and buy it".. of course this is about food storage stuff..
Then I gave her the book to read.. she got to the big gun fight.. comes into the room and says "We need more ammo.. more guns.. I need one of those assault rifles!" LOL Ya..we're getting there...
Murby

Previous

Return to Books