• Advertisement

That ONE Must-Have Book?

Recommend books here

That ONE Must-Have Book?

Postby msdeltamom » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:10 pm

I am looking for a great non-fiction prepping/survivalist book that I can have a physical copy of. Is there one book that really covers a multitude of topics that you just couldn't do without in your library?
msdeltamom

Re: That ONE Must-Have Book?

Postby Blazer2 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:27 am

There is not just one book. The SAS survival hand book is a good one to have. lot's of good info. and the Special force field manual as well. just to much info out there to put in one book.
Blazer2

Postby msdeltamom » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:32 am

Blazer2 wrote:just to much info out there to put in one book.

I figured. :D Thank you for these suggestions. I will definitely put these on my list. It just occurs to me that I have too much information on the computer and not enough physical copies of info that will be helpful.
msdeltamom

Postby Blazer2 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:48 am

Blazer2

Postby angie_nrs » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:37 am

I agree - there's not ONE book. If there were, we'd all have it. :D Some will say the bible, some will say a medical guide, some will say an overall preparedness manual, some will say a gardening book, some will say a food prep book, and on and on..... Personally, I absolutely LOVE books and have my own personal library. I have all kinds of books so it's most certainly not all prep related......more of a hoarder related issue with books and me. :'( I can't help it....my idea of heaven would be an endless amount of time spent in a library with a wide array of books to suit whatever mood I'm in. Did I mention the fact that I love books??? :help:

Here are some links to threads where this topic has been discussed. Hope it helps.

viewtopic.php?f=414&t=22342&hilit=books

viewtopic.php?f=137&t=34153&hilit=books

viewtopic.php?f=262&t=3212&hilit=books

ETA - here's a couple more...

viewtopic.php?f=262&t=8136&hilit=books

viewtopic.php?f=384&t=6403&hilit=books&start=15

Plus, here's the book forum where you can spend lots of time going through all the posts about books

viewtopic.php?f=384&t=6403&hilit=books&start=15

Happy reading!
angie_nrs

Postby mullertravolta » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:13 am

The books like SAS survival is a great example for you.
mullertravolta

Postby angie_nrs » Tue May 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Reviving this thread to add another book....

The Doomsday Book of Medicine by Ralph LaGuardia. It's a bit pricey at around $40 on Amazon but so far I think it's well worth it. It's huge! It weighs over 2.5 pounds and has around 900 pages! Considering what college text books are going for these days, this is a steal. Thus far I have only gotten through the first 100 pages but I really like it so far. Just when you start getting bored with a particular topic he switches it up. Plus, you can always jump to whatever topic you need immediate info on.....I just prefer to read as written. It's written in laymans terms and he also injects a few little stories here and there to keep things fresh. Although, if you are a liberal or left leaning in any way, be prepared to get a poke here and there. :p I just grin and keep reading but he probably could have written this without offending the lefties out there.....not that many of them will read it. To each his own and I actually find it quite amusing. :evil:

I'm just starting to get interested in researching essential oils, tinctures, and plants/herb uses and he does touch on these subjects. He also covers natural foods and remedies since it is a "Doomsday" book after all, where we could be left with just our knowledge and mother earth. He gives suggestions on stock piling useful supplies but also offers ideas on alternatives when the stock eventually runs out.

I probably shouldn't be raving about this book until I have read more of it, but I can already tell that this was worth the money for me. It's probably going to take me a while to get through this whole book (especially at this busy time of year) but I'm glad I have it in my library.
angie_nrs

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue May 23, 2017 1:07 pm

angie_nrs wrote:Reviving this thread to add another book....

The Doomsday Book of Medicine by Ralph LaGuardia. It's a bit pricey at around $40 on Amazon but so far I think it's well worth it. It's huge! It weighs over 2.5 pounds and has around 900 pages! Considering what college text books are going for these days, this is a steal. Thus far I have only gotten through the first 100 pages but I really like it so far. Just when you start getting bored with a particular topic he switches it up. Plus, you can always jump to whatever topic you need immediate info on.....I just prefer to read as written. It's written in laymans terms and he also injects a few little stories here and there to keep things fresh. Although, if you are a liberal or left leaning in any way, be prepared to get a poke here and there. :p I just grin and keep reading but he probably could have written this without offending the lefties out there.....not that many of them will read it. To each his own and I actually find it quite amusing. :evil:

I'm just starting to get interested in researching essential oils, tinctures, and plants/herb uses and he does touch on these subjects. He also covers natural foods and remedies since it is a "Doomsday" book after all, where we could be left with just our knowledge and mother earth. He gives suggestions on stock piling useful supplies but also offers ideas on alternatives when the stock eventually runs out.

I probably shouldn't be raving about this book until I have read more of it, but I can already tell that this was worth the money for me. It's probably going to take me a while to get through this whole book (especially at this busy time of year) but I'm glad I have it in my library.

https://www.amazon.com/Doomsday-Book-Me ... f+Medicine
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Return to Books