• Advertisement

Connecticut Preppers Roll Call 12/17

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderator: cityhomesteader

Connecticut Preppers Roll Call 12/17

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:49 am

Connecticut Preppers, Check in and let us know what you've been doing lately to prep.
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Connecticut Preppers Roll Call 11/27

Postby cityhomesteader » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:12 pm

North Idaho Patriot wrote:Connecticut Preppers, Check in and let us know what you've been doing lately to prep.

I am here... Been working on our food pantry system and running out of room.. I will be building another shelving unit over in our stain glass workshop area to get some of our Stain glass off my pantry shelf and into an area of its own..
When and If I finally have complete access to the shelving for food and pantry Items I will concentrate on a small Basement root cellar project I have had in my head for a couple of years. Which entails insulating a section of my shelving area and placing a up vent and a down went to grab cooler air from our small crawl space area.
Next project I have is to build a back yard smoke house and smoke sausage and meats for storage. We have a ready supply of apple wood chips and I can get hickory very easily.
I will escalate my fishing and foraging too!
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader
Connecticut State Moderator

Postby jryan06 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:19 pm

I am here as well...new member. Every day is a new challenge to make sure that I am adequately prepared for anything that might happen
jryan06

Postby cityhomesteader » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:21 pm

jryan06

Welcome! Glad to see a new person..
Cityhomesteader
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
cityhomesteader

Postby tsparks2626 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:57 am

Over the past few weeks I have stored 120 lbs of rice and 120 lbs of assorted dried beans. I have also taken advantage of sales that take place during this time of the yr like yams, stuffings, gravies etc. I am spending a little extra this month due to Xmas is around the corner

I hope all in CT are doing well and enjoy the Holidays.
tsparks2626
Connecticut Preppers Network

Postby connecticut yankee » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi all.
I'm new to the forum, from SW CT.
Trying like crazy to find funds to stock up on food supplies, etc.

I look forward to learning a great deal here.
[color=#BF0000]P+[/color]
connecticut yankee

Postby cityhomesteader » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:49 pm

connecticut yankee wrote:Hi all.
I'm new to the forum, from SW CT.
Trying like crazy to find funds to stock up on food supplies, etc.

I look forward to learning a great deal here.

Welcome CT Yankee!! We are in the same boat! We are going slow and steady and getting there one piece of the elephant at a time!!
Cityhomesteader
cityhomesteader

Re: Connecticut Preppers Roll Call 12/24

Postby cityhomesteader » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:46 pm

Merry Christmas everyone!!
Cityhomesteader
cityhomesteader

Re: Connecticut Preppers Roll Call 12/17

Postby CToldCorps » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:30 pm

New here as well, still finding stuff on this massive site.

Located Central South. Family working on the basics of education and planning now. We've managed to put away maybe a few weeks worth of resources so far, luckily we've a lot of camping gear already plus my surplus kit from the Corps. Like me it might be older but still serviceable :)

I think we would be relying more on bugging out than staying and sheltering from my research and our personal options with family out of state. Of course plans never survive initial contact unchanged, so we need to do our best to be ready for the eventuality of holing up.

My wife suffers through my 'hobby' and can see the logic in our discussions but she is not fully invested as of yet. This is better than many people on these forums but it does make for some issues since money is tight.

It should be noted that attempting tactical movement with kids is interesting and adds a new level of stress to the situation...
------------------------------------------------------------
"Never give up. Never surrender." - Jason Nesmith
288109:198103:349127:136229
CToldCorps
New York Preppers Network

Postby cityhomesteader » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Welcome !!

My wife suffers through my 'hobby' and can see the logic in our discussions but she is not fully invested as of yet. This is better than many people on these forums but it does make for some issues since money is tight.

we have the exact same problem here :) ..slightly different in some regards. The wife is the bread winner due to my health going prematurely early. But we are Blessed and have found that I make a better Mr Mom than a Common laborer anyway.

I want to Bug out to a nice Hideaway hole some where too. More than likely that will never happen so we are getting set to hunker down as best as we can and do what we can within our power to make that happen. The Kids are adults my Daughter Just graduated Southern CT U with 2 Bachelor Degrees One in English one in Early Childhood ed.. My Son is disabled right now do to severe knee injury that made him have to give up His career as a chef. But hopes to Look into Going back to school if he can get the funding.. So we are supporting him and the daughter until they get on their feet. We believe that is what Parents do and also that is why God gave us our children.

I am a Herbalist, naturalist, and neophyte Permaculturalist. I hope to get people in our group involved in teaching each other their skills and making meet-ups to build a community of like minded folks in CT..
Cityhomesteader
cityhomesteader

Postby CToldCorps » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:26 pm

I agree on all points, well said about being parents, it never is simple is it? lol Our daughter has celiacs disease which makes the food portion of the deal a bit more complicated (no wheat/barley/anything with gluten basically..) on our part. Kids are a good test of your strength to be sure :)

Whether we get mobile obviously depends greatly upon what is going on. A slow collapse due to gas hitting $10+ a gallon would be approached differently than natural disaster, which is different than biological which is different than nuclear/EMP which is different than zombies... hey it could happen.. it's Planned Response G1 through G3.2 .. :/ I'm going to need a bigger binder.

In all seriousness I'd love to be able to stay put as long as food and security were not in great jeopardy. One of my biggest shortcomings in my knowledge base is growing my own food or foraging. I've read multiple books on both subjects and I know there is plenty to be had growing naturally around here (assuming the environment is still suitable) but for the life of me when I go out in the woods and fields I can't identify any of them, save dandelions at cat-tails. I think we would get sick of those pretty fast.

I have some gun-smithing skills, military based marksmanship and tactical training, structure hardening and defense and a smorgasbord (sp?) of other more mundane skills. I've done a lot of research on the region (at least I think it is a lot) so I hope I have something to contribute of value.
------------------------------------------------------------
"Never give up. Never surrender." - Jason Nesmith
288109:198103:349127:136229
CToldCorps

Postby cityhomesteader » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:37 pm

CToldCorps wrote: In all seriousness I'd love to be able to stay put as long as food and security were not in great jeopardy. One of my biggest shortcomings in my knowledge base is growing my own food or foraging. I've read multiple books on both subjects and I know there is plenty to be had growing naturally around here (assuming the environment is still suitable) but for the life of me when I go out in the woods and fields I can't identify any of them, save dandelions at cat-tails. I think we would get sick of those pretty fast.

I have some gun-smithing skills, military based marksmanship and tactical training, structure hardening and defense and a smorgasbord (sp?) of other more mundane skills. I've done a lot of research on the region (at least I think it is a lot) so I hope I have something to contribute of value.

I would love to teach my skills to someone else in exchange for forging friendship and community for the times ahead.
I sorely lack in the weaponry area, due to a lot of personal issues on firearms in general. I see a Need for at least a 12 gage shot gun in the house, but the wife is so against it that I would rather keep the wife and not a Shotgun.
But I am very good at gardening and foraging AKA Wildcrafting and could feed quite a few people out of the woods from Early Spring through the heart of winter as well as make medicines and beverages.

I'm learning to start a fire with a Bow and drill as soon as I can hook up with Rod, and have Swedish steel right now and a knowledge of which woods burn the best and how to make a fire in the cold wet. I can Build a Brush wigwam that is tight and snug and warm. Rod also is going to help me learn Cordage from natural fibers if he stays around.. LOL
building a fire with a Swedish firesteel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBKyB89YCys
Cityhomesteader
cityhomesteader

Re: Connecticut Preppers Roll Call 1/8/11

Postby cityhomesteader » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Another Year!!
whats up CT preppers!! Has the Snow got to you yet? :lol:
I started Getting me seeds already.. Got a nice new shelf Built in my Food Storage area!
Started Saving 3 liter soda Bottles my kids buy and filling them with H20!
Got the furnace being worked on and Got a price for a wood stove installation!
Will be going to Shoprite and stocking my new shelves with Can Goods from the Can Can sale!
Hoping to make some more Sausage with my new Cuisinart food center..
little by little I'm getting there.. What are you all doing??
Cityhomesteader
cityhomesteader

Postby IRo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:19 am

I'm baaaaaaack. Been pretty sick since after Christmas and havn't felt up to checking in on the forums. I even got to spend some time at that nice teaching hospital down in New Haven. What a culture shock being away from my little insulated world here in my little town!!

I see everyone has been busy arrangeing meetups and group buys. Way to go Connecticut preppers :clap:

Spring is coming, seed catalogs are arriving and another storm is knocking on our door. You gotta love New Englad.

IRo
I don't have hobbies.........I'm developing post apocolyptic skill sets
IRo

Postby cityhomesteader » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:28 am

IRo wrote:I'm baaaaaaack. Been pretty sick since after Christmas and havn't felt up to checking in on the forums. I even got to spend some time at that nice teaching hospital down in New Haven. What a culture shock being away from my little insulated world here in my little town!!

I see everyone has been busy arrangeing meetups and group buys. Way to go Connecticut preppers :clap:

Spring is coming, seed catalogs are arriving and another storm is knocking on our door. You gotta love New Englad.

IRo

Sorry to hear you've been sick.. We have all had a very nasty upper respiratory here. My Son can not shake it.
LOL yale new haven heck New haven is a jolt even from my little bit of earth just up the road from there.
I hope you feel better soon IRo missed ya.. Hey I think we are Growing in Connecticut forums! Answer to prayers and all the hard work of CT folks to make it happen..
Once we get over being shy and begin to get to know one another we just might make it!
Hoping to get involved in group buys here. Finally got the wife on board the prepper train..
Cityhomesteader
cityhomesteader

Next

Return to Check In Here Connecticut Preppers