• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

what is a good preppers weapon

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderators: roolu, momtomany, natesday

Postby weigle25 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:04 am

I am new to this site but post on many others. I have been a prepper for several years now and have a pretty extensive knowledge of the trade. I am a hobbyist gun smith and lately alot of people have been debating at the range about what the best firearm is to carry in a bug out bag. I watch doomsday preppers like most people do here i'm sure, but the one thing that bothers me is all the guns. Why do you have a safe full of guns? you can't possibly carry all of them and all you are doing is arming everyone around you. Think about it you have 30 guns and can realistically carry two............when u bug out and your house gets raided now all the morons are armed...........awesome. Anyways through my own research I have found that hi-point makes possibly the best weapons for preppers. yes they are ugly as sin, i know but they are built almost as rugged as an ak-47 with half the weight and smaller easier to find ammo. I own a ,45acp carbine modified to feed colt 1911 hi cap mags and their .40 s&w. both shoot accurate as hell and are reliable. feel free to google other reviews if you want. but hands down the one weapon i think is the best would have to be .............drum roll please.......... the Henry U.S. air force survival rifle. God was smiling on preppers when this gun was made. At 2 lbs this gun is extremely light, plus it breaks down into the butt stock which makes it a perfect weapon for a bug out bag. While only in a .22 caliber this gun makes up for its lack of hard hitting power with versitility. For around 180 bucks this gun is a steal. The barrel and receiver assembly unscrew and fit into the buttstock which is also waterproof and it floats. No tools are required to assemble it or disassemble and it can be done in the dark. also it has a scope mount and can easily be fitted with a silencer if need be. The other added bonus is ammo. 500 rounds weighs about 4 lbs. i keep 150 in my bag and between the rifle and ammo adds roughly 3 lbs. a .must have for any prepper
"I came into this world kicking, screaming and covered in someone elses blood, and i don't mind having to leave it that way."
weigle25

Re: what is a good preppers weapon

Postby grouster » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:34 pm

Any weapon that you choose and are proficient with is the right choice. I like the Henry 22, but here is no perfect weapon, because we are all so different, and we all prep for different reasons.

Why do you have a safe full of guns?
I have collected firearms since the late 80's, after I got out of the service. I enjoy gunsmithing. I have done it since the 80's as a hobby and finally decided to get certified only about five years ago. I've only been a prepper for around two years now. It sounds like you plan to bug out like many others do, while I plan to bug in and I have others bugging out to here (i live several miles outside a very small town). I can arm my group as needed. Weapons are nothing more than tools. Why people freak over seeing a group of them in one place I will never know....
grouster
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby jensen1717 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:09 pm

As a long time firearms instructor I would say for most people it's better to be master of "One" than master of "None". I understand that those who shoot frequently can be marksman. For the average shooter it would be better for them to master one pistol, one rifle and one shotgun and leave it at that. Just my 2 cents
jensen1717
California Preppers Network
California Preppers Network

Postby weigle25 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:04 am

i cant say i completely disagree with you jensen. though i would say most peopl should choose to carry either the rifle or the shotgun. both would be too cumbersome and ammo would weigh you down. I am a firm believer that bug out bags need to be built with the idea that your supplies should be considered down to the ounce. you never know when you will be on foot.
"I came into this world kicking, screaming and covered in someone elses blood, and i don't mind having to leave it that way."
weigle25

Postby weigle25 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:14 am

maybe this all just came out wrong grouster, im not saying for your plan and others that having a cache of weapons is not important. all that i was getting at is lets say your fortress is comprimised for some reason and you are forced to bug out. Lets also consider that in this event you lose members of your group. if you are forced to leave weapons behind all i'm saying is that they may fall into the wrong hands. While my plan is indeed to bug out to a safe house,do to the fact i live in a city, i am just saying people should be careful what they leave behind. Its not that i freak out just that i dont wnat to have to face down more idiots with guns than i have too.
weigle25

Postby thebosshoss » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:24 am

If leaving weapons behind is an issue why don't you just remove the bolts or firing pins and bury them in the yard or hide them in some other way. If someone undesirable does come into possession of the weapons they will be inoperable.
MOLON LABE
thebosshoss

Postby Happy Prepper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:28 am

For those who have a Plan A of becoming a refugee, well, that's a 'technique'.
We can do great things.

Let's start now!
Happy Prepper

Postby weigle25 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:18 am

thebosshoss i have to say i feel like a complete idiot for not thinking of that myself. Its ideas like that why i love this community. (i am not being sarcastic)
weigle25

Postby thebosshoss » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:05 am

I always store all of my firearms other than my carry pistol with the bolt or firing pins removed. So even in the unlikely event that they're stolen they will be useless.
MOLON LABE
thebosshoss

Postby hunter480 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:09 am

weigle25 wrote:. but hands down the one weapon i think is the best would have to be .............drum roll please.......... the Henry U.S. air force survival rifle. God was smiling on preppers when this gun was made. At 2 lbs this gun is extremely light, plus it breaks down into the butt stock which makes it a perfect weapon for a bug out bag. While only in a .22 caliber this gun makes up for its lack of hard hitting power with versitility. For around 180 bucks this gun is a steal. The barrel and receiver assembly unscrew and fit into the buttstock which is also waterproof and it floats. No tools are required to assemble it or disassemble and it can be done in the dark. also it has a scope mount and can easily be fitted with a silencer if need be. The other added bonus is ammo. 500 rounds weighs about 4 lbs. i keep 150 in my bag and between the rifle and ammo adds roughly 3 lbs. a .must have for any prepper

I have no experience personally with the Henry rifle you`re talking about, but there`s a reason for that. A co-worker, a guy who is as avid a hunter as I am, bought one, and disliked it intensly. He said it felt awful in his hands, poor balance and such, and he said the thing was not accurate in the least. He got rid of the one he had. Based on his review of the weapon, 180 bucks was money thrown away.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other”
John Adams

“It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.”
Daniel Webster
hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:13 am

I guess I just find it kinda strange that someone is so worried about someone elses gun safe and what might happen to their weapons. I always try to worry about myself, as I`ve found that if I worry only about myself, my plans, how I should be saving/planning, I`m way too busy to even consider what anyone else is doing.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other”
John Adams

“It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.”
Daniel Webster
hunter480

Postby weigle25 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:00 am

my rifle shoots pretty well. maybe not as spot on as my marlin but it will get the job done. all i was getting at with the gun safe thing is having fifty guns around your house is a bit of a waste because if you have to leave u will more than likely not be able to carry very many, and someone will eventually stumble upon them. the only thing i was getting at is that the zombies IE non-preppers are now going to be armed much better than they would have been.
weigle25

Postby Lynda » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:08 am

hunter480 wrote:I guess I just find it kinda strange that someone is so worried about someone elses gun safe and what might happen to their weapons. I always try to worry about myself, as I`ve found that if I worry only about myself, my plans, how I should be saving/planning, I`m way too busy to even consider what anyone else is doing.

I agree. Perhaps the best weapons we possess, aside from firearms, are our minds. The ability to separate fact from fiction, what's real and what is not, the ability to analyze a problem and find solutions that best suit our needs. The ability to look ahead and consider short term and long term consequences of our actions.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Return to Check In Here Indiana Preppers