• Advertisement

Medicinal Herbs

Post general Indiana topics here

Moderators: roolu, momtomany, natesday

Medicinal Herbs

Postby Trainwreck » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:59 pm

Looking for a book on growing Medicinal Herbs. I need how best to grow it, what the plant is used for, how to use it, and what parts of the plant to use. Possible side effects would be a huge plus. Barnes and Nobles was a strike out on this criteria. Any Suggestions?
A man does what he must – in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures – and that is the basis of all human morality. -Winston Churchill

Das Leben gehört den Lebenden an, und wer lebt, muss auf Wechsel gefasst sein. -Goethe
Trainwreck
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Re: Medicinal Herbs

Postby PeachOnEarth » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:49 pm

"Herbal Properties and Natural Therapies" by Debra St. Claire

This is a pretty good source... I dont own it myself, but ive seen it and its on MY list of must haves!

POE
"Earth Laughs In Flowers" Raph Waldo Emerson

"What we have loved, others will love, and we will teach them how." William Wordsworth

"Growing your own food is like printing your own money." - Ron Finley
PeachOnEarth
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby plbatman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:37 am

I really like this book. Shows what plants are used and what is treated with it and how to make the remedy from the plant. I have the book and read it often.

Indian Herbalogy of North America: The Definitive Guide to Native Medicinal Plants and Their Uses

http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Herbalogy- ... pd_sim_b_3
plbatman

Postby Trainwreck » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:43 am

Many Thanks
A man does what he must – in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures – and that is the basis of all human morality. -Winston Churchill

Das Leben gehört den Lebenden an, und wer lebt, muss auf Wechsel gefasst sein. -Goethe
Trainwreck
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby smokey13 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:16 am

I use a web site called eattheweeds .com
smokey13

Postby cityhomesteader » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:12 pm

sorry I came into this late.. Here is what I found that is Great for me...

The Complete Medicinal Herbal: A Practical Guide to the Healing Properties of Herbs, with More Than 250 Remedies for Common Ailments [Hardcover]

Peterson Field Guide to Medicinal Plants: Eastern and Central North America (Peterson Field Guide Series) [Paperback]

and my new Favorite Plant ID book!!!

Wildflowers in the Field and Forest: A Field Guide to the Northeastern United States (Glassberg Field Guide) [Paperback]

These have not failed me.. I also have others.. But these are the ones I turn to most.. God Bless City
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader
Connecticut State Moderator

Postby Sasha » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:45 pm

I have "Herbal Antibiotics, Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug-Resistant Bacteria." It doesn't say how to grow the herbs, but it tells you have to mix the tinctures, the dosages and the side effects. Good luck in your search. I'm a firm believer that you can't have too many books.
Oh, the book is by Stephen Harrod Buhner.
Unless we change the direction we're going, we'll end up where we're headed.
Sasha

Postby cityhomesteader » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi Sasha, I never seen that one.. LOL.. I think a lot of new books came out since I began my life study of plants.. Someday we will have to get together ..You are a very Interesting poster.. City
Cityhomesteader
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
cityhomesteader

Postby Sasha » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi City!! I have thought the same of you!
I started my love of plants in 1997. It started when my DH said he didn't care what I planted or how much because it would decrease the amount of grass he had to cut. He has since regretted his comment because I have totally landscaped the yard. There is something about just being outside with the birds, the dirt and the new green shoots poking their little heads up in March. Who care if my hands are a mess? I feel close to the Lord out there and I can never cease to marvel at how He puts together colors.

I was looking at the yard today, in all it's dull browns and greys' and trying to remember how wonderful it looks in spring. That's what keeps me going through the winter.

I feel grateful too, for the mindset of people in here and what I've learned in the short time I've started prepping. It just changes your whole perspective on things. I realize how foolish I've been in some of the things that I considered important. Silly, silly people we are at times right? I have to thank YOU for your Christian testimony. It's been very encouraging to me. Maybe I'll actually go back to church sometime.
Unless we change the direction we're going, we'll end up where we're headed.
Sasha

Postby cityhomesteader » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:24 pm

Sasha wrote:Hi City!! I have thought the same of you!
I started my love of plants in 1997. It started when my DH said he didn't care what I planted or how much because it would decrease the amount of grass he had to cut. He has since regretted his comment because I have totally landscaped the yard. There is something about just being outside with the birds, the dirt and the new green shoots poking their little heads up in March. Who care if my hands are a mess? I feel close to the Lord out there and I can never cease to marvel at how He puts together colors.

I was looking at the yard today, in all it's dull browns and greys' and trying to remember how wonderful it looks in spring. That's what keeps me going through the winter.

I feel grateful too, for the mindset of people in here and what I've learned in the short time I've started prepping. It just changes your whole perspective on things. I realize how foolish I've been in some of the things that I considered important. Silly, silly people we are at times right? I have to thank YOU for your Christian testimony. It's been very encouraging to me. Maybe I'll actually go back to church sometime.

If you want a prepper Pastor Faith Living Church in Plantsville CT is a great place to be.. If you go on a Saturday Night ya might even bump into me and mine (c: 6pm service starts (c: Oh BTW look for a old bald guy sitting next to a young bald guy with a beard with a cute Blond Lady snuggled next to the old bald guy (c:
Cityhomesteader
cityhomesteader

Postby JennyBird » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:14 pm

I happened across "The Complete Illustrated Book of Herbs" by Reader's Digest at Lowe's today. It's a rather large book, tons of info, and beautiful pictures. I fully expected the price to be $40 or more... I was pleasantly surprised it was only $19.95! I snatched it up and have been looking through for several hours now. It covers how to grow the herbs, origins, medicinal uses, cooking, health and beauty, household cleaning uses and tons more! So far I'm loving it. Very much worth 20 bucks.
JennyBird

Postby Herb_Prepper » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:22 pm

My favorite one is The Healing Herbs -- The Ultimate Guide to the Curative Power of Nature's Medicines by Michael Castleman. Lots of great info!
Herb_Prepper

Postby garrymethews » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:35 pm

There are many gardening books to grow medicinal herbs, which can help you. You can search online for that.
garrymethews

Postby sageprice » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 pm

I own 17 herbal medicine book and I here to warn you. The terminology of a disease and their symptoms are not to be taken lightly. You can do more damage if you just try to do a quick fix. Herbal medicine is no ONE PILL cure. A fever is not a easy indication of infection. It could even be a indication of an allergy to the very herb you just took or gave to your family. Be prepared to take the time to research and study more than one book or source. While I can set a bone and know some Antibiotic herbs, I am only now getting into antiviral herbs, there are so many viruses out there that even modern day researchers are still discovering new ones. So learn WHAT you are looking at before you try to cure it with an herb. :D :D
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:56 am

Sageprice, THAT is good advice. Let's practice on relieving common cold symptoms or tummy issues from eating that food you know bothers you before tackling cancer and such.
Consider starting with culinary herbs that have medicinal uses. Mints, sage, lemon balm.
Garlic and ginger and elderberry aren't herbs but are useful and easy to use.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready

Return to Indiana Discussion, News and Weather