• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

Square Foot Gardening

Post General Iowa related topics here

Moderator: IowaPatriot

Square Foot Gardening

Postby GaiusFlavius » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Anyone ever try it? I posted the book on my other post on websites. I've read it about 4 times now and will be building 2 of the raised beds that are 4X4 each. They grow more than straight row gardening and easier to pick for those that have problems bending down a lot. These will provide me with enough fresh veggies and fruit for the year. Also will be putting tomato plants in 5 gallon buckets again this year. Friend of mine that has a greenhouse taught me this. Get a 5 gallon bucket from Menards, Lowes, etc--they are cheap. drill about 8 holes in the bottom about 1/4 inch in diameter. Put about 3 inches of small gravel in the bottom and fill with potting soil and plant a tomato plant. This works really well and you can move the plant into the sun. I got more out of 1 plant than I did 3 last year.
GaiusFlavius
Iowa Preppers Network
Iowa Preppers Network

Re: Square Foot Gardening

Postby RedHorse_Ronin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:45 pm

I use raised bed here in suburbia. I have the book and my brother-in-law tried square foot gardening. He went so far as to doing the soil mixtures. Frankly, I got as good or better of a harvest with compost and regular clay based soil. I think that the book has some good points but to use it as a blueprint did not work for me. I did adapt some of the trellising to my cukes and had some success.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves" William Pitt the younger

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good .45acp at your side, kid.

Winston, Julia, or O'Brien? How about none of the above?

It's got electrolytes!
RedHorse_Ronin
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Lynda » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:48 pm

Most of my garden consists of raised beds with a few squared off sections for different things I like to try. I seem to have better luck and pathways, that I cover with straw, are easier to navigate and pretty much weed free.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby RedHorse_Ronin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:11 pm

I am gonna to experiment with pine needle mulch for my strawberries this year. My daughter gathered up a trash bag of them for me. I hope to get some use out of my own compost pile this year and not have to solely rely upon the fee stuff from the county landfill. I was just out a few minutes ago in the soggy yard looking at the mess as I loaded up old firewood for a friend's bonfire tomorrow. Me gots bunches of work ahead of me, lol.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves" William Pitt the younger

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good .45acp at your side, kid.

It's got electrolytes!
RedHorse_Ronin

Postby Lynda » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:22 pm

RedHorse_Ronin wrote:I am gonna to experiment with pine needle mulch for my strawberries this year. My daughter gathered up a trash bag of them for me. I hope to get some use out of my own compost pile this year and not have to solely rely upon the fee stuff from the county landfill. I was just out a few minutes ago in the soggy yard looking at the mess as I loaded up old firewood for a friend's bonfire tomorrow. Me gots bunches of work ahead of me, lol.

The only thing I see in my yard right now is snow. :( But, I am going to get those seedlings started tomorrow in the basement with the grow lamp. Now, let's not take this comment anywhere. ;)

Lynda

Postby RedHorse_Ronin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:36 pm

lol, its for your glaucoma though lol

It's got electrolytes!
RedHorse_Ronin

Postby Lynda » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:47 pm

RedHorse_Ronin wrote:lol, its for your glaucoma though lol

Is this why I can't see so well? :D

Lynda

Postby Whisper » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:55 pm

I did three raised beds with square foot garden combined with lasagna gardening last year. My tomato plants drove me crazy. They grew around ten feet tall, Right through my bird netting. I couldn't get to some of the tomato and there was a war for every square foot. This year I can't make them so close together. The lasagna gardening was a real boost. I forgot to mention that I had several six foot dog kennel fens around them to keep out the coons. The netting was over that. I couldn't find stakes tall enough so they turned back down and spread across the netting.
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby RedHorse_Ronin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:31 pm

Whisper, sure you didn't raise MY maters too? lol. Last year, I had 8 foot tall maters that wouldnt fruit very well because they vined out so much. My peppers took off like wildfire and the critters got to my beans and greens. the taters did okay and so did the strawberries. My squash drowned from the wet spring. It was a bland year lol.

It's got electrolytes!
RedHorse_Ronin

Postby Whisper » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:44 pm

RedHorse_Ronin wrote:Whisper, sure you didn't raise MY maters too? lol. Last year, I had 8 foot tall maters that wouldnt fruit very well because they vined out so much. My peppers took off like wildfire and the critters got to my beans and greens. the taters did okay and so did the strawberries. My squash drowned from the wet spring. It was a bland year lol.

I also had a 6x4 concrete block sweet potato raised bed.I think got about 5 or six blocks high. I was excited. When I started digging them out..... them.... :'( there were all kind of little bast :cursing: ds that ate them all!!!!!

I grew up on a farm. To me this is common knowledge, but some people look at me like I'm nuts, but it works. The first part you may know. When growing, say tomatoes, after they grow a couple of new arms, pinch off or cut the bottom ones off. Continue this for a while. I cut most of what doesn't have fruit growing on it. The pant will put more effort and nutrients into the fruit or vegetable. When I was a kid, my Dad won some state awards for growing tomatoes bigger than my head in the garden state of NJ.

The birds got to my strawberries before I could get that net up. Again :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby RedHorse_Ronin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:48 pm

I usually pinch off the suckers but the late cold snap, wet spring, work and a death in the family conspired against me. C'est la vie. I have some medicine for that damnable groundhog this year though (evil chuckle)

It's got electrolytes!
RedHorse_Ronin

Postby Whisper » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:53 pm

Critters, blah! That's why put in the chain link fence. If you have moles, home depot/lowes sells these smoke grenades. They work great as long as you cover up the other wholes. It's more satisfying than the hose. :evil:
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby RedHorse_Ronin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:59 pm

The pellet gun is even more satisfying. I wanted my spinach and salad greens dangit!

It's got electrolytes!
RedHorse_Ronin

Postby Whisper » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:33 pm

Agreed!
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to General Iowa Discussions