• Advertisement

Kansas Preppers

Post general Kansas related topics here

Moderators: Elona, Lionheart1972

Kansas Preppers

Postby Lionheart1972 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:39 am

Hello and welcome to all the new Kansas Forum members. This summer we have the privlege of welcoming several new preppers. I am very encouraged by all the sincere interest in meeting, and the desire to get together.

Please take note of all the different threads on our Forum. Many of the topics have overlapping conversations and this sometimes causes confusion to the newer members. I just wanted to help you navigate a little easier. Please note the date before you post, some of the threads are nearly 2 years old and may or may not be relevant. I for one enjoy responding to everyone interested in prepping, however if you are posting on an old thread your comment could easly be missed or accidently overlooked.

So with all that said, we have two events currently being planned. Each event has a thread that is pertinent to that event. The thead for the fall event has 6 pages of information, so I will summerize here and hopefully if you are interested you will comment on the relevant thread.

1. NE Kansas Picnic. Saturday, August 20th, at Clinton Lake
2. Fall Meet-up and camping. October 1 & 2, at Ottowa State Lake

I look forward to meeting everyone and it looks like Kansas Preppers are moving in a positive direction. Happy Prepping.
Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants and debt is the money of slaves.
Lionheart1972
Kansas State Moderator
Kansas State Moderator

Re: Kansas Preppers

Postby iwannaretirealready » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:58 pm

I am keeping the Oct. meet up date in mind. We "camp" in a motor home, lol, would we be allowed in? Wanted to mention that my daughter-in-law and I took a road trip to the LDS cannery in KC today and got a load of storage food and made an appointment to go back and can some later this month. Real nice folks over there.
iwannaretirealready

Postby Kanman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:05 pm

iwannaretirealready wrote:I am keeping the Oct. meet up date in mind. We "camp" in a motor home, lol, would we be allowed in? Wanted to mention that my daughter-in-law and I took a road trip to the LDS cannery in KC today and got a load of storage food and made an appointment to go back and can some later this month. Real nice folks over there.

It won't matter what you camp in. It will be nice to see and meet everyone.
Kanman
Oregon Preppers Network
Oregon Preppers Network

Postby Blaik » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:24 am

iwannaretirealready wrote:I am keeping the Oct. meet up date in mind. We "camp" in a motor home, lol, would we be allowed in? Wanted to mention that my daughter-in-law and I took a road trip to the LDS cannery in KC today and got a load of storage food and made an appointment to go back and can some later this month. Real nice folks over there.

Are you an LDS member? When I was living in KC(over a year ago), I called them to ask about whether a non-member could use their facilities and I was told that this was strictly forbidden, even though I offered to leave if members showed up, offered to pay for my time, anything I could think of to get them to change their mind. I explained to them that I believed in the same principles of living debt-free with ample food storage. I even asked if I found an LDS member to 'sponsor' me could I use the facility and was told that LDS members were not supposed to do that kind of thing. This seems to be at odds with most facilities I've heard about. I'm not sure if I said something wrong, or what it was that I did that made the woman that answered so vehemently against letting me use their facilities. :shakeno:
Blaik

Postby lallen8029 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:31 am

I live around Wichita. I have called the one in Oklahoma City (it's closer to me) and they were very nice to me and said I could certainly come down even tho I was not LDS.
lallen8029

Postby KSprepper » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:29 pm

The LDS has opened the cannery to the public without being a memeber....awesome place to get long term storage foods...this is the address and phone #

Phone (816) 453-2398
Address 3601 NE Kimball Drive
Kansas City, Missouri 64161
KSprepper
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Postby Blaik » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:34 pm

Lionheart1972 wrote:Hello and welcome to all the new Kansas Forum members. This summer we have the privlege of welcoming several new preppers. I am very encouraged by all the sincere interest in meeting, and the desire to get together.

Please take note of all the different threads on our Forum. Many of the topics have overlapping conversations and this sometimes causes confusion to the newer members. I just wanted to help you navigate a little easier. Please note the date before you post, some of the threads are nearly 2 years old and may or may not be relevant. I for one enjoy responding to everyone interested in prepping, however if you are posting on an old thread your comment could easly be missed or accidently overlooked.

So with all that said, we have two events currently being planned. Each event has a thread that is pertinent to that event. The thead for the fall event has 6 pages of information, so I will summerize here and hopefully if you are interested you will comment on the relevant thread.

1. NE Kansas Picnic. Saturday, August 20th, at Clinton Lake
2. Fall Meet-up and camping. October 1 & 2, at Ottowa State Lake

I look forward to meeting everyone and it looks like Kansas Preppers are moving in a positive direction. Happy Prepping.

I would love to make it to either event, but the August one is a bit too soon, and my wife's not fully committed to prepping (tolerant and in semi-agreement, but not to the point 'I' would like her to be), so I don't think she'd be really into meeting up. I'm still working on her, but I screwed up when first bringing the topic up to her. I went gung-ho "we need to plan for the worst case scenario" and used benefits like "if I get laid off we won't have to worry about using severance/unemployment for food" and had shared links to over-the-top "live the good life underground" type opulent living bunkers. I went extreme, and she responded, as most anyone blindsided by all that would, by pushing to opposite end, being un-supportive and derisive, and trying to prevent me from doing any kind of prepping. That was 2-3 yrs ago, and I'm happy to say that she has slowly come around, understanding that having preps and homesteading (again not to the degree I would like, but I'm not complaining). The events in the last year or so seem to have really opened her eyes, especially the troubles in Japan, and the increasing failure of our gov't to be honest or fiscally responsible.

So, one of these days we'll bring the family out, just probably not to either of these events.
Blaik

Postby Blaik » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:35 pm

KSprepper wrote:The LDS has opened the cannery to the public without being a memeber....awesome place to get long term storage foods...this is the address and phone #

Phone (816) 453-2398
Address 3601 NE Kimball Drive
Kansas City, Missouri 64161

thanks for the update. That's the one I called previously. Glad they've changed their policy!
Blaik

Postby iwannaretirealready » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:28 am

When my daughter in law and I (non members) went to the cannery they were most helpful, offered to tour us the whole facility and it is most impressive. They were loading a truck of food to take to Springfield/Joplin, they had already taken truck loads before. They have canners you can take home, but you must be a member to do this. My d i l has a sister that is a member, I told the lady this, she immediately said that would be fine then. When you can there at the cannery, you can only can what they sell there. At home you could can your dehydrated food or whatever. They loan it to you for a week.
iwannaretirealready

Postby Blaik » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Wow, the more I hear about it, the more I wonder if I just happened to catch them on an off day or got hold of someone that didn't know policy.
Blaik

Return to General Kansas Discussions