• Advertisement

Are rural Kansans a target in a SHTF scenario ?

Post general Kansas related topics here

Moderators: Lionheart1972, Elona

Are rural Kansans a target in a SHTF scenario ?

Postby Bullfrog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:48 am

A friend and I were having a discussion the other day. He doesnt really "get it" in reference to my prepping activities. Now, I live in a very secluded area of the state, Just a short drive from a town of around 700. Anyhow, back to my story.
He was kidding me about needing to buy a BOL, but I replied that I was already bugged out, any further out and I would be on the moon. He brought up an interesting point that made me think. He said being that secluded and still functioning during a societal breakdown would actually make me a target to all of the city dwellers looking for refuge in the boonies.
He made me think. Now, rest assured, I don't throw up any red flags, and my place is not what one would call "manicured". With that said, I have been thinking about it alot since then and am looking for a few thoughts or insight from others.

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. Before anyone says anything, I plan on defending my property, but being a realist, I couldnt hold off 40 desperate thugs determined to take my crap.
Bullfrog
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Re: Are rural Kansans a target in a SHTF scenario ?

Postby Elona » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:10 am

I think anyone who is living will be a target for those wanting to get anything someone might have. I don't see the spoiled "I want" folks treking off into the country huge distances at first. Maybe later on but not at first. I think NW KS has a benefit in that its pretty sparsely populated anyway and quite a ways from large cities.

What I think you will get a lot of is people from your area looking for a hand pump well, and tools to garden or otherwise use. If you have a well you can get water out of you are up for a lot of bartering as well.
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here It takes a person two years to learn to talk and the rest of their life to learn not to. (my father's saying)
Elona
Kansas State Moderator
Kansas State Moderator

Postby Crusis » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:07 pm

The problem with being remote without a small group to provide security is that you are vulnerable. One guy with a high powered rifle can take you out while you're outside, then come in and take what he wants including the family.

Security will be in numbers. Otherwise you're a sitting duck.
-- Home Prepping --

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

-- Grandpappy --
Crusis
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby rush_60 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:17 pm

I think it depends on how public you are with your prepping. You say you're not putting out any red flags, but your friend knows. So when he's hungry you can bet he'll show up at your door asking for a handout, and if you turn him away then he might come back with some more "friends."
rush_60
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Postby vonu » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:52 pm

Yet another good reason to make your resource information only. They'll have to gather their own. ofthefield.com
vonu

Return to Kansas Discussion, News and Weather