• Advertisement

Safety of house on Vacation

Talk about non-lethal self defense, personal safety, and home security.

Moderators: mmpaints, BATTLEBOY SURPLUS

Safety of house on Vacation

Postby SamSandez » Fri May 19, 2017 1:40 am

It has been long since we have gone for a family trip. Although my kids used to ask always to take them for a trip, due to my busy schedule, I never used to get time. But this year during their summer vacation, I have promised them that I will take them for a 5-day trip. They are really thrilled and waiting for that day.

I thought that my parents would be there at home when we go for the trip. As they are afraid to stay alone at home, they are planning to stay at my brother's house. So no one will be there at home when we go. The chance of burglar attack is more if there is no one at home. I think there is no other way to secure the house when you are away from other than a home alarm system. I would like to know what are the other precautions to be taken while going for a family trip. My kids are very excited about the trip. They have already started the preparations.

I won't be at peace to leave my house unless I ensure its security and safety. That is one of the main reasons that I have posted in this forum, hoping that I would get the suggestions.
SamSandez

Re: Safety of house on Vacation

Postby handyman777 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:39 am

You can always let your local law enforcement (police dept.) know your going on vacation.

I live "semi rural" if that is what you want you want to call it any more; but our local law enforcement will do a drive by and check on your home and look for anything suspicious for you, if your comfortable with that and trusting of them.

That is not a 24/7 guarantee but it may help.

You can always set lights on timers, set for different times so it looks like someone is home, 5, 10, 15 minutes in different rooms.

Leave a car in your drive.
Stop your mail and local paper.
Do this a couple of days in advance so you know its working.
Good Luck
Enjoy your Vaca....
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby handyman777 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:49 am

One other thing, DON"T make it obvious when you leave and packing up...

Years ago a friend of mine was going on vacation, had a pizza delivered just before they left, well you know where i'm going with this....they where broke into....but the crook was eventually caught---pizza guy.
handyman777

Postby dmwalsh568 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:50 am

handyman777 wrote:One other thing, DON"T make it obvious when you leave and packing up...

Years ago a friend of mine was going on vacation, had a pizza delivered just before they left, well you know where i'm going with this....they where broke into....but the crook was eventually caught---pizza guy.

And while it's harder with kids...don't post your plans on social media and don't check into locations when you're in another state. Wait until you're back to post any pictures of your trip....

All too often my wife will run across posts from her FaceBook "friends" that they're heading to Florida, Cancun, etc.

Oh another thing. While it seems smart to tell the post office to hold your mail, when I was growing up it was a regular occurrence to hear about a family who had their mail held only to come back to a house that was broken into. Maybe the USPS has gotten better about security, but it used to leak like a sieve.
dmwalsh568

Postby Gunns » Fri May 19, 2017 9:40 am

I use Frontpoint home security. Its cheap, efficient and gives me a good piece of mind when I take a trip.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Fri May 19, 2017 4:33 pm

We are blessed because we have good neighbors who keep an eye on our place. In fact, several neighbors do. One time, we forgot to tell one of the neighbors we were leaving for a few days, she wrote down the license plate and the make of the car that came and stayed at our house for too long. It was the other neighbor, in her new car, checking on our cats.

I agree with not allowing the kids to post to social media about any trips. If anyone asks, they can simply say they're out with someone else.

We've never put a timer on our lights, because the neighbors who keep an eye out simply turn on different lights when they leave.

We also have a big dog who attacks the door when someone walks up - apparently, the neighbor watching the house came up one time, and he said the dog lunged so hard and fast, that even though he was on the other side of the door, he took a step back. (Now he just goes in the back door, while the dog is distracted at the front, no one said the dog was smart...) :lol:

In rural areas, we tend to keep an eye out for each other in a neighborly way. It pays to make friends with your neighbors, if they are reliable, honest people.

Also, it might be a good idea to lock all the valuables in a bolted-to-the-floor safe. Other than some electronics, about all a thief will find here is food, old furniture, some old sewing machines, and plenty of sewing material (if I'm driving, the important papers briefcase, the laptop, the external hard drive with all our photos, and the good sewing machine generally goes with me).
Cin

Postby Stahlrosen » Sat May 20, 2017 6:33 am

Definitely lock up all the valuables you can. When we did travel, we always had someone come check on the place at least once a day. We do have a security system too, and have lights on timers, even though you can't see the house from the road. My neighbor leaves a radio on in her bunkhouse (don't ask me why, they are 4x further off the road than we are). Might be a good idea if you have people close though. And we don't tell people we are leaving, except DH's work and people watching the house. It does amaze me how many people I hear about posting their plans on facebook.
Stahlrosen

Postby anita » Sat May 20, 2017 11:05 am

I tell my neighbors, so they can keep an eye out for suspicious activity.

I have timers on several lights so that they go on and off automatically at various times.

And, leaving a car in the drive, stopping the mail and papers, etc, as others have mentioned.

I have an a motion detector floodlight, which I normally keep off due to it coming on all the time due to the trees etc., but turn it on when I'm away. Now you can get them with a camera that connects to your smart phone. You might have seen a commercial for them. They are called Ring. My neighbor got one after something was stolen from her house. She really likes it. It's a little too big brother for me, although if you just set it up when you were gone, it might be a good idea. She said they are inexpensive.

I also have a solar motion detector light that is a stake in the ground. I've never used it, but that might be a good thing to pull out and put by the front door, back door, etc.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Location, location, location.

When I lived in the city, Norfolk, each and every vehicle I ever owned was either broken into or outright stolen. Several, multiple times.
Any piece of equipment left unsecured overnight would not be there in the morning. This included mowers, boat motors, hand tools, etc.
There were two attempts to break into my house while l was at home, irregardless of a burglar alarm.
I lived in a very upscale beach neighborhood.

My business was robbed (armed robbery), shoplifting was was an all day event, and during a hurricane I had to fight off looters for three days and nights. Urban combat.

I left and moved to rural Virginia. In spite of the fact that now I don't lock anything up, I have never had anything stolen in the eight years I have been here. We often forget to lock the door when we go away for the day. No problems.
When we bought the farm, we asked the agent to recommend a good alarm company. He burst out laughing and asked why in the world did we think we needed a security system.

In rural Virginia everybody is well armed.. It would be suicide to break in a home. Late one night, a female friend called the sherriff to report a peeping tom. He said it was too late for him to come out that night. She was instructed to go ahead and shoot the intruder. He would send out a deputy first thing in the morning to bag the body. The sherriff was serious. She fired over the man's head to scare him away. Problem solved.

Reb
Location, location, location.
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby SamSandez » Thu May 25, 2017 12:49 am

Thank you, friends, for all your suggestions.
SamSandez

Postby Fyrediver » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:18 pm

Some of the simple things:

Stop mail and papers, have a neighbor/friend swing by to remove flyers and notices from the door (burglar flags), when same people stop by have them open/close blinds, lights, etc.

You can set the TV or radio on a timer to turn on periodically or lights on a random timer. I have digital timers that can be set for 6 different on/off cycles or even random.

Have good insurance. Just in case, right? There is only so much you can do.

The neighbor thing is the best. I live in a culdesac and everyone knows the others, we all share keys, and we watch out for one another. Cultivate good relationships with neighbors.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” Charles Darwin
Fyrediver
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Postby alex_mercer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:20 am

Burglars aren't the only unwelcome visitors. There are racoons, skunks and rabbits. While rabbits may appear cute and funny, the other two shouldn't be taken lightly. If you have kids or pets at home, make sure you have devised a strategy in case something goes wrong. Always contact and make provisions for notifying the animal removing services in your locality. I've had some personal experience in Toronto.

Security cameras are a must but try to let your neighbours know when you're away on vacation. They can hear sounds that your cameras are incapable of monitoring.

And PLEASE take your pet on vacation with you if possible. I've lost a dog and felt really pathetic with my selfish attitude.
Regards,
Alex
alex_mercer

Return to Personal Safety and Home Security