• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

Tang, Kool-aid, Gatoraid, or Vitaman C Tablets?

Discuss general food topics here

Tang, Kool-aid, Gatoraid, or Vitaman C Tablets?

Postby dogboy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:26 pm

My basic principle for food stocking is that I would only prep foods that my family will eat during the next year. But we presently get our Vitaman C primarily through fresh foods and refrigerated juices, so if we need to suddenly rely on my prep foods alone, we will be short on Vitaman C.

So I'm looking for an inexpensive solution that will store well, since whatever I put into stores will not be rotated out in the normal way.

It looks like Tang has 100% daily vitaman C per serving while Kool-aid has only 10%. Vitaman C tablets are relatively expensive. Kool-aid normally takes sugar, but there's the nutrasweet sweetned variety that stores in very little space.

I'm tending toward Koolaid only because it's cheap and the sugar can be used and rotated each year. What solutions would you recommend?
dogboy

Re: Tang, Kool-aid, Gatoraid, or Vitaman C Tablets?

Postby mmpaints » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:30 pm

rose hips. Natural form of C, loaded with it actually.

As for the gatoraid, I store it because farm work makes ya sweat, a lot. Those bags of powdered mix are easy to store and we drink it all summer long. Plus, gatoraid will fix a tied up(heat stroked) horse so fast it'll make your head spin.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby peachsncream » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:45 pm

mmpaints wrote:rose hips. Natural form of C, loaded with it actually.

As for the gatoraid, I store it because farm work makes ya sweat, a lot. Those bags of powdered mix are easy to store and we drink it all summer long. Plus, gatoraid will fix a tied up(heat stroked) horse so fast it'll make your head spin.

Gatoraid for horses - cool! How did you ever come about that? Never in my wildest imagination would I have thought to use Gatoraid to bring a horse around. Other animals?
Dawson County, Georgia
Region 2
peachsncream
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby UncleJoe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:23 pm

WE have Tang, powdered gatoraid and and powdered lemonade.
And To The Republic For Which It Used To Stand

[b]The powers that be are telling us there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

What they’re not telling us is that it’s an oncoming train.[/b]
UncleJoe

Postby JayJay » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:25 pm

I have Tang, instant tea, mixed drink, vitamin C, and multi-vitamins.
I stocked Tang for the C, but also a site suggested IF you use pool shock and other purifiers, it will take out some of that yucky smell and taste.
'God charts our paths; it is we who must take it'
JayJay

Postby PeachOnEarth » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:29 pm

dandylions are extremely high in vitimin C as well! They grow ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE!!!
"Earth Laughs In Flowers" Raph Waldo Emerson

"What we have loved, others will love, and we will teach them how." William Wordsworth

"Growing your own food is like printing your own money." - Ron Finley
PeachOnEarth
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Lilredmg » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:35 pm

I stock up on Tang for vitamin C. Also just found canned Mandarin oranges so I'm stocking up on those too. I'm also stocking up on NIDO, powedered whole milk, for Vitamin D and Calcium. Just opened a can that expired in March of 2010. Still good. You can find it in the Hispanic section of most large grocery stores.
Matthew 25:42 "for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave me no drink."

Matthew 25:45 "Then He will answer them, saying, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me."
Lilredmg
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby MrDanB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:49 pm

dogboy, I was thinking the same thing a year ago. I decided to do some research on vitamin c. Since vitamin c is ascorbic acid, I started looking to buy ascorbic acid online. I found a retailer on ebay who met my needs. I got a 2.2lb bag of food grade ascorbic acid shipped to my door for under 40 bucks. This should be a 2+ year supply at my current rate of consumption :) Another way to stock up would be chewable c tabs at the health food shop, Walmart etc. The ascorbic acid is a bit tart, but in juice or water, it's palettable... :)
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby Bubba J » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:12 am

As far as I know, gatorade doesn't contain any vitamin c. If it does then it's a very small amount. Instead, what you might want to look into is vitaminwater which contains 100% of vitamin c along with other vitamins depending on the flavor. I use plenty of both and go through an average of 1 case of each per week. As for the rest, I'd go the Tang route. It's tasty and almost everybody loves an orange drink. Kool-aid is okay, but I haven't stocked up on any of those. They would be great for kids though and I might do that for my boy, but he leans more toward apple juice and sometimes lemonade, so I might look into UncleJoe's suggestion for powdered lemonade. As for the pills, yeah those definitely come in handy. You might want to go for the regualr pills instead of chewables. I could be wrong but I think the chewables have a much shorter shelf life than the standard pills.
“Men go to far greater lengths to avoid what they fear than to obtain what they desire.”
― Dan Brown, The Da Vinci Code
Bubba J
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby kr105 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:34 pm

Crystal Light SUNRISE Orange has 100% of recommended vit. c. -- another option for you (It must be the sunrise one, the lemonaide does not have it.)
kr105
Pennsylvania State Moderator
Pennsylvania State Moderator

Postby TaffyJ » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Grow some rose bushes (the wild, weedy kind that don't need pampering), and let weeds grow in your lawn. Having vitamin C can be as easy as NOT doing something you were previously doing. Lots of lawn and garden weeds contain vitamin C, if you'll just let them grow some and get a book to know what's what.

If you don't have a place to grow stuff, then, yeah, stock up. We love tang, anyway! Its really not a hardship to have some extra around. Oh, and some of the cheaper vitamins have a lot of vitamin C, too. You don't have to get the most expensive, pure C ones.
Shrug
TaffyJ
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby mmpaints » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Peach-The gatoraid has the minerals etc your body loses in extremes, heavy workout, sweating etc. Those same minerals are lost when you work a horse to extremes (race horses). We had a race horse that tied up from the stupidity of a barn hand. The vet was 2 hours away and suggested pedialite (sp?) but we did not have any so I called my sister (dietician) and asked her what I could use instead of the pedialite(not telling her it was for a horse of course) and she said use gatoraid so we did, it worked. Took 2 quarts and around 10 minutes, the horse jumped right up.

I seriously don't think I'd make it thru these awful hot and humid summers (plus old age etc)getting all the work I gotta do done, sweating like i do without the gatoraid. There's more to being dehydrated than just water....

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Carborendum » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:41 pm

The Gatorade I've got doesn't have any Vitamin C. Does yours?

We just have powdered vitamin C (just vitamin C, no fillers or buffers). The price per daily dose is the cheapest I've seen.

Also, the liver of virtually any animal is loaded with it. I can't stand liver myself. But the wife can't get enough of it.
The measure of a man's character is what he chooses to do when he has the freedom to treat others poorly.
"When the world ends, everybody's dead for the rest of their lives." A very bright 4 y.o.
Carborendum
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby peachsncream » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks paints for the reply... appreciate the sharing of knowledge.
Dawson County, Georgia
Region 2
peachsncream
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby mmpaints » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 am

Carb, my Mom used to make us eat liver, i thought it was for the iron content? Who'd of thunk there was C in that nasty thing too, yuk. I'll find a piece of fruit to eat before I chew on shoe leather, I mean liver.

mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to General Food Topics