• Advertisement

SPAM Tragedy!

Discuss general food topics here

Re: SPAM Tragedy!

Postby FussyOldHen » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:39 pm

I have wondered for the past few years if "failed" cans happened to be the newer, rip-top types, as opposed to the older kinds.
FussyOldHen

Postby broden » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:20 pm

so aside from the obvious
like swollen cans or some horrible smell

is there a home botulism test kit out there that can be purchased and used at need by the average joe
broden

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:48 pm

broden wrote:so aside from the obvious

is there a home botulism test kit out there that can be purchased and used at need by the average joe

A cat?

Reb :evil:
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby peekachoo » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:19 pm

We carry Spam singles in our saddle bags on those long days of gathering cattle. I think you could leave it out in the sun for weeks before it would spoil.It keeps us from starving.
peekachoo
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:26 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:

A cat?

Reb :evil:

I want to apologize for suggesting cats as a botulism test candidate. I really have nothing against cats. I'm sure they serve a useful purpose and are good companions. It would be inhumane.

Therefore, I would substitute Hillary supporters as test specimens. They are already brain dead, deaf, and blind. It would be the humane thing to do, don't you think?

Reb
There are soooo many of them. Thin out the sheep herd.
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby popcandave » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:52 am

Reb, Does that go for Obama supporters as well?.. :evil:
popcandave
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:30 am

popcandave wrote:Reb, Does that go for Obama supporters as well?.. :evil:

Absolutely. I am a strong advocate for inclusiveness.
Reb

rebnavy1862

Postby daaswampman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:46 pm

If you have eaten Spam and survived, I doubt botulism is a threat. Just to be safe, it should be thrown out as soon as you open the can! Or just feed your friends and relatives with it. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby broden » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:04 pm

daaswampman wrote:

If you have eaten Spam and survived, I doubt botulism is a threat. Just to be safe, it should be thrown out as soon as you open the can! Or just feed your friends and relatives with it. Swamp

i grew up swimming in the east river

that built up my immunities to everything there is
broden

Postby LetsPrep11 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:06 pm

Thanks for all helpful and interesting responses.

* The cans were stored in a dark room, temps year round range between 58-68 degrees, and humidity controlled.
* No dents, and they are pull-top cans, but I didn't see any damage. Had one other can dated Jan 2015 that spouse ate (no I didn't mention the
swollen cans I threw out. :evil: ) That can tasted fine.
* I can't be that mean to my cat or dog, even though we have been talking about putting the cat down @ $150! She suddenly thinks the whole
house is her litter box! :shock:
* No Fussy, I don't look like that walking horror in the pics but thanks for the thought. 8) I haven't been to the beach since 2004 and rarely
even use our pool. Swimming just isn't my thing.
* Hummm....sending the can to specially selected Democrats. Nice idea but then there was the mention of Hazardous materials through the
mail. Nice thought though. Thanks! :D
* Gee, I wonder what the ISIS guys would think of our Special Edition Spam? :floppytongue:
LetsPrep11

Postby BVILLEBILL » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:48 pm

I've had the same thing happen. Noticed it was only the Low Sodium SPAM, the original, older SPAM was just fine.
When tyranny becomes law, resistance becomes duty-Thomas Jefferson
BVILLEBILL

Postby LetsPrep11 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:18 pm

Now that you mention it, 2 out of the 3 cans were the 'Low Sodium'. Think I'll stick to the 'Bacon' one (has real bacon in it!) from now on. Someone said that the oven roasted turkey flavor is good but haven't tried it yet.
LetsPrep11

Postby broden » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:25 pm

nothing against spam but i always thought it was funny they came out with healthier low sodium low fat versions of spam
broden

Postby LetsPrep11 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:48 pm

There is nothing funny about Spam. Hey, it's 'End of the World' food and that makes it a crying matter! Right? :'(
You eat it now so you're acclimated to crappy meat (meat-like food stuff) No shock for later! Makes sense to me! :smartass:
LetsPrep11

Postby broden » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:12 pm

i don't mind it my wife really likes it

but she grew up in the third world so they got it from soldiers way back and it was and remained a big deal

as did canned corned beef.. which she and i also like but i never make the mistake of confusing it with real corned beef

my wife never even knew of real corned beef till she came to the states and now that she does she really loves it.. though we still both like the canned stuff and have it occasionally cut with rice... where she comes from they sell jumbo cans of the corned beef.. they are really cook wish i could get them here .. they look just like the normal small cans here key opener shape and all but are 4 to 6 times or more larger
broden

PreviousNext

Return to General Food Topics