• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Tried an MRE

Discuss general food topics here

Tried an MRE

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:43 pm

I got some MREs at a gun show I was recently at, and at a really good price too. Anyway, I just tried one out and I must say its not that bad. I heard that MREs don't do much other than fill your belly and they don't taste all that good but the one I had was good and certainly a luxury in some conditions.
Photon Guy

Re: Tried an MRE

Postby Gunns » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:05 am

Well you must not be able to taste anything. LOL

I tried every type of MRE when i had them. They were all awful.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:57 am

I've been in situations where I had to forage for food while in the woods. I was living off milkweed found in the wilderness. An MRE would've been a definite luxury.
Photon Guy

Postby OC357 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:14 pm

MRE's are good for what they are and some are tastier than others. They are what they are....easy to carry, fast to prepare, and plenty of calories to fill you up and better than digging up grubs and such. Everyone's taste is different. Some of them are ok tasting. .... But if you crack them open expecting 5 star cuisine or grandma's home made sunday dinner you will be sadly disappointed and that's not what they are meant to be.

Just my experience.

OC
I got nothing. I am just here for the ride.
OC357

Postby bane5150 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:16 pm

I have had several MRE's and i dont think there that bad at all. Then again if thats all I had to eat for weeks on end it would get old real fast.
Vincit Qui Patitur (He who endures conquers)
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” ― Charles Darwin

P!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
bane5150
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby danthman114 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:12 pm

Be glad you don't have to live on them. I've had so many I can't stand em. I'll eat rice and top ramen before mres
danthman114

Postby peekachoo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:19 pm

They are really good if you are really hungry.
peekachoo
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:45 pm

Emergency Essentials just had a big sale on MREs, so I got about 3 different ones for each of our BOBs. Maybe I should have gotten extra of each to try them. Oh well, if we need them, and we're hungry, they'll taste fine, lol! -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rickdun » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:54 am

I've eaten C-rats and MRE's and it depends on how hungry your are. Some C-rats and some MRE's are terrible but I have eaten some that are very good. MRE pears are delicious.

My grand kids love the MRE's, all of them. I take them camping in the summer and that's all I take and they can't get enough of them. They sit the MRE's in the sun to get them warm and they chow down on them.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Pedro wyoming » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:23 am

MREs have evolved considerably since their introduction in the early 80s. I ate them when i had to and now because i can. I have gone from vienna sausage wieners to smoked salmon. I still stock them for SHTF episodes and give them to the help when they fail to prepare for themselves. i eat the salmon and they eat the spaghetti LOL.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby Blazer2 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:25 am

Photon Guy wrote:I got some MREs at a gun show I was recently at, and at a really good price too. Anyway, I just tried one out and I must say its not that bad. I heard that MREs don't do much other than fill your belly and they don't taste all that good but the one I had was good and certainly a luxury in some conditions.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
And this is what you will be doing in 14 hours :nervous:
They are what they are some kind of food. that even the wild dogs will not eat.
Blazer2

Postby DavethePrepper » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:44 pm

I remember when MRE's first came out and there was no way to know from the outside of the package what you were getting. I had a buddy who was in the Army back then and said all he ever got was ham and chicken loaf for the entrée. The ones I have seen lately actually tell you what's inside.

Are MRE's good for camping/urban or wilderness survival? I ask because I am given to understand that they are very calorie dense and are designed to support someone in combat where there is extreme physical exertion. I don't forsee that kind of physical exertion in my survival prepping plans.
DavethePrepper

Postby Blazer2 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:31 pm

For the price of MRE's you can get better stuff. Yes i have them in my get home bag/BOB. yes they tell you whats in them now.
some are better than others. are they good for you not that much. high in salt and calorie's.
I like the chicken with grill markings I thank it is #13
I also have them for the heater just add water for a warm meal.
Blazer2

Postby Cheyenne rose » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:10 pm

Pedro wyoming wrote:MREs have evolved considerably since their introduction in the early 80s. I ate them when i had to and now because i can. I have gone from vienna sausage wieners to smoked salmon. I still stock them for SHTF episodes and give them to the help when they fail to prepare for themselves. i eat the salmon and they eat the spaghetti LOL.

pW

pW send me all your spaghetti, I like them the best
We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed. 2 Corinthians 4:8-9
Cheyenne rose

Postby IceFire » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:07 pm

DavethePrepper wrote:Are MRE's good for camping/urban or wilderness survival? I ask because I am given to understand that they are very calorie dense and are designed to support someone in combat where there is extreme physical exertion. I don't forsee that kind of physical exertion in my survival prepping plans.

When I go deer hunting, I take MREs with me so I don't have to deal with cooking/cleaning dishes when I'm getting ready to head out, when I'm out in the woods at lunchtime, or when I'm tired from being out all day. I also take them along in my backpack when out hiking, etc, and keep bunch under the back seat in my truck.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to General Food Topics