• Advertisement

Six year-old powdered milk!

Discuss general food topics here

Six year-old powdered milk!

Postby Kilo_11 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:08 pm

Just wanted to share for all: I put up powdered milk in quart-size Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers in May 2011, eight quart bags to a home depot bucket... its been nagging at me for a few years now, since I read that dry milk would only keep 2 years or so in that fashion. I finally took the plunge this week when we ran out of milk and I cracked the seal. We've been drinking it all week and its fantastic... in fact the kids (5 and 8 year old girls) think its great fun that we are drinking "end of the world milk" as my wife calls it. Just goes to show that high-quality food will keep for very long periods of time when carefully preserved. The dry milk we put up is the Sanalac brand, which tastes WAAAY better than your average wal-mart junk. I am retired military, so we bought it at the Commissary on Fort Drum. I am going online to buy several more cases to store. I highly recommend it. Just FYI for any who are interested.
Kilo_11

Re: Six year-old powdered milk!

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:18 am

:thumbup:
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:16 am

I believe we get mis-information from a variety of sources on food storage.
Many articles/manufacturer specs talk about storage being good up to 2 years but as you just witnessed the milk was fine. So what is the issue? Just like on our regular shelf food with "best by" dates the food doesn't magically go rancid at midnight. It is simply a date that the manufacture uses to guarantee (in most cases) taste. The other issue with food storage is the nutritional value, so perhaps the milk didn't provide you family with 100% of the USDA recommended vitimin D perhaps you only got 95%. Is that really an issue? Not for me and probably not for 99.9999% of the people on here (including you Kilo).

I remember as a kid playing in my great grand parents basement and looking at all the canned food that Great Grandma had worked so hard canning. Rusted bands and congealed fat made me think "I wouldn't eat that!" But I did, best darn beef tips and noodles I ever had!!
3ADScout

Postby oldasrocks » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:31 am

We found some powdered milk that we packed away 15 yrs ago, not knowing any better, in the original box. It was still fine.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby anita » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm putting on my Food Science hat again. Sorry.

Just because you think it tastes fine doesn't mean it is good for you. The fats and proteins degrade over time, and while it might not taste bad, it doesn't mean there aren't free radicals, rancid fats, etc in it.

I'm moving in a couple of weeks, and have been opening expired canned food and so forth and feeding to the dog, cats, and chickens, as appropriate. I don't feel badly giving it to the pets, but that doesn't mean I am willing to ingest it myself.

Having said that, the expiration date on foods is only an estimate, and more of a date to identify when the can was processed than a real "not good after" date. I've been eating cans of salmon that expired a year ago, but have recently given it up and started giving it to the pets. It looks/seems fine, but it's getting too old for me to want to eat myself. (All the pets loved it though! The chickens found it particularly tasty. )

My guess--and it's an educated guess, but just a guess--is that there have been some changes in the dehydrated milk that may make it not the best for you. If it looked/tasted fine in an emergency situation, I'd eat it as necessary, but I wouldn't do it if it weren't necessary. But that's just me.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby daaswampman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:56 pm

While there is mountains of anecdotal evidence and a great deal of hype concerning free radicals, there are no clinical studies that proves long term effects. It is further clouded by the legions of health peddlers with something to sell!

Google it and notice the almost complete absence of clinical research from academic experts that are not selling something!

If you believed all the diet and health advice available, you might wonder why anyone dies! Free radicals MAY HAVE a long tern effect on cell health - that is what we KNOW!

Or you could visit a commercial dairy and processing plant! A few free radical will be the least of your concerns and you will never drink commercial milk again! Swamp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Alimentarius

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Alimentarius
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:50 pm

One thing about that "best by" date to keep in mind. When the companies submit their product to the FDA for testing (they ALL have to do it for ALL products), oftentimes the date is arrived at because the FDA doesn't test out any farther than that! (I learned this when I was helping a friend with his sauce business) The food may well be perfectly fine beyond this date, but it's not tested out any farther than that, so they really don't know. 2 years from packing date is pretty much the standard that they've come up with.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby anita » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:41 pm

There is no question that food products degrade over time. It doesn't matter if it's fresh, frozen, dried, or canned. If you don't believe in free radicals, perhaps you'll at least admit that the vitamins in the food diminish or the fats turn rancid.

If you doubt me, buy a can of the same food product, same manufacturer, every year, for 4 or 5 years. Open them all at the same time. Compare them. Will there be a difference? In all likelihood--yes. I can't guarantee that it discernible for each and every item you might buy, but they degrade over time. I've noticed the difference in mushrooms, in beets, in carrots, in green beans, in canned soups. And that's just a visual difference. Once I see it doesn't look like a fresher product, I don't taste it.

Eat them if you want, but there is no question that they won't be as nutritious as a fresher product.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby daaswampman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:10 pm

There is no doubt that food degrades over time, but this site is about being prepared and what you can do with what you have!

If I thought the world was all safe and secure, I would not mess with this Preparedness Crap! A condo on the beach with room service comes to mind! Swamp

The exhausted swimmer, struggling to reach shore, isn't worried about starving to death.
daaswampman

Postby anita » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:09 am

Swamp, you love to pick a fight.

I said that if it were all I had available, I'd drink the milk, eat the food, whatever, as long as it wasn't obviously bad.

But that's not what is going on here. This is about using up expired 5 (or so) year-old product, rather than feeding it to the chickens or dog or tossing it. My educated opinion is that it is penny-wise and pound foolish, but that's just me. But I tend to be cautious about what I put in my body.

anita

Postby daaswampman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 pm

When I read silliness I will point it out! People need the facts, so they can make their own decisions! Swamp
daaswampman

Postby Kilo_11 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:33 pm

So to update: we're on our third week of delicious 6-year old powdered milk and I couldn't be happier with my preps. We're drinking it normally, going through about 2-3 quarts a day which is the standard amount of milk my family drinks.

A few bullet points:
- I stored eight quart-sized bags to a bucket and I just opened the 4th bag tonight. That's at least 6 weeks to a Home Depot bucket under normal intake. Good to know.
- The bags were packed with oxygen absorbers, two to a bag, and the bags come out rock-hard until you break the seal... as if they had been vacuum-packed
- So far we haven't been poisoned by free radicals or had any ill effects. If nothing else my daughters drink more milk since the novelty hasn't worn off.

So my answer to some of the debate on this thread is this: Yes it's scientific fact that food degrades over time. I think the smell and taste test are reasonable to root out whether its fit for consumption. Though I like my food fresh, I'm not prepping so that I can feed hundreds of dollars of preps, not to mention storage time and effort, to chickens and dogs because I'm picky. I said for 21 years as a Paratrooper in the US Army, you train like you fight. Periodically rotating your preps out is never a bad idea. I'm a little later than I planned with the milk but this is valuable information and a satisfying test of our preparations.
Kilo_11

Postby JayJay » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:21 am

I just baked a cake best by date april, 2013 and same for icing.
It wasn't the best cake ever, but we're still eating it!!

I opened a can of sirloin burger veg. soup best by oct, 2012 and husband wouldn't eat it!! Wait, he is recovering from brain surgery, so factor that in.
I tasted it, and like most here, if I was really hungry, it would be fine--also, it was one of those flip top cans for campers that I have learned to not ever buy for long term storage. We live, we learn.

About that best by date---did you know that the best by date is printed on the can only when it is being shipped??
Yep--that can may have been in the warehouse the amount of time the best by date of the same product/can that has a different best by date of 2 years earlier!!!
Told by someone working in a warehouse.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Return to General Food Topics