• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Comparing dried food companies

Discuss general food topics here

Comparing dried food companies

Postby eochief66 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:53 pm

A good article on the different dried food companies.

https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/top-5- ... iesbrands/
eochief66
New York Preppers Network

Re: Comparing dried food companies

Postby Matte » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:54 pm

I've heard a lot of good about Mountain House, and lots of bad about Wise. Never tried either. I can vouch for Honeyville products, we don't buy a lot of storage food in #10 cans but when we do it's from them and never been disappointed on the product or the service.

Don't forget to read Gaye's disclaimer @ the backdoorsurvival site either:

MATERIAL CONNECTION DISCLOSURE: You should assume that this website has an affiliate relationship and/or another material connection to the persons or businesses mentioned in or linked to within and may receive commissions from purchases you make on subsequent web sites. You should not rely solely on information contained in this site to evaluate the product or service being endorsed. Always exercise due diligence before purchasing any product or service. This website contains advertisements.
Matte

Postby eochief66 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:42 am

Thanks for the tip on disclosure!
Just about all my dried food is from Mountain House. I will check out Honeyville.
eochief66

Postby Stahlrosen » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:34 am

I had some Mtn. House wild rice the other day, pouch, that "expired" in 2013. It was still great tasting. Have never tried Honeyville. But everything Mtn. House I have tried I have been pleased with.
Stahlrosen

Postby John Galt 1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:24 pm

Mountain House for the tastiest yummy (for freeze dried stuff) but expensive. Great for a few weeks but expensive to buy a years worth. Legacy for longer term prepared meals, a bit less expensive than Mountain House and great shelf life. For the super long term and inexpensive to give you the calories I like Honeyville. There are others out there that we haven't tried.

We keep about 10 days worth of Mountain House food (try the Apple Crisp and Beef Stroganoff) , Another 6 weeks worth of Legacy Foods. After that it's Homerville. For all I'd strongly suggest a lot of spices.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:17 am

Matte wrote:I've heard a lot of good about Mountain House, and lots of bad about Wise. Never tried either. I can vouch for Honeyville products, we don't buy a lot of storage food in #10 cans but when we do it's from them and never been disappointed on the product or the service.

Don't forget to read Gaye's disclaimer @ the backdoorsurvival site either:

MATERIAL CONNECTION DISCLOSURE: You should assume that this website has an affiliate relationship and/or another material connection to the persons or businesses mentioned in or linked to within and may receive commissions from purchases you make on subsequent web sites. You should not rely solely on information contained in this site to evaluate the product or service being endorsed. Always exercise due diligence before purchasing any product or service. This website contains advertisements.

Opinions will vary of course...I've tried a LOT of different brands before stocking up.....They'll all basically send you free samples if you contact them in the interest of gaining a client.

Mountain house taste great in general, but a few items are just bad. Again, individual palettes vary but I've found if you find a specific meal not very good most will agree with you on it. Mountain house is REALLY expensive if being used for prepping.....Hiking or quick desert trip? I'd take them every time...Cooking in the pouch is REALLY convenient....Cost though is just too expensive IMHO for real prep unless doing #10 cans and I personally hate those for prepping...And I'm not short of cash...Again, this is just my opinion but I have tried A LOT of different manufactures.

That's all that really needs to be said on MH...They're really good but too expensive.

LDS... The refried beans are untouchable...Best out there and easy to make....again though, only #10 cans...deal breaker for me but they're a good outfit looking out for the well being of others so I supplement with them to support them a bit and their stuff is generally OK....I like their flour as well for breads.

Augusta Farms.....Not too impressed here...Honestly I haven't had a LOT of their stuff so not a complete, logical opinion formed here, but after cost per serving and so far taste is involved, not sure I'm going to.

Wise....My go to......I have a smaller family. The serving sizes are the best packaging out there with all the different companies if you want cost/quality/taste combo IMHO. A big factor in my decision process...(Why be forced to cook a 10-12 person serving, have to do math with measuring cups if choosing not to cook a full serving, or waste food in a SHTF sit. with a family of 2.5???....
Taste is great considering its freeze-dried(You'll never get gourmet, lets be real here)...better than mountain House in some limited instances, but in general, same as or just below it(barely)...

Meats are great...buckets make it very convenient for cataloging your own menu build out/quantity of servings.
Meal buckets without the drinks are a no brainer.
Veggie buckets are perfect.
Dried fruits adds an easy healthier alternative..They're tasty...like a desert. :shakeyes:

****3 things on Wise.....
*No pouch cooking...You need to have cookware's of some type...No big deal but deserves mention.

*Don't buy the old Wise formula unless you get a price you consider worth it vs. the new formula...Sodium was thru the roof in the old formulas. You'd need to consider the extra water needed vs. daily salt values taking in on the meals.

*Don't buy the meal buckets with the drinks of any type in general---They consider portions "Servings" in the over-all serving size count of the bucket making you think its a great deal. Stick to the basic kits and build your own menu for the days meals prepping for.

*****This goes for all long-term dried food purchases in my opinion but I look at --------- what's in the bucket counted as a serving first, how many calories as a serving next, then divide total cost buy actual serving supply to see the bang for the buck.....Using this formula WISE is a no-brainer for me...taste was a bonus(Again, grading on a curve considering freeze dried)

Don't forget to look at calories/nutrition value per serving....WATCH THE SODIUM!....Sodium is the #1 bad thing across the board with all dried food makers I've found(It's what they rely on to make it palatable)

I establish a relationship with the supplier of my choice and buy in bulk when the REALLY big deals hit(Generally 40-50% off)
If anyone's interested I have a relationship established with a guy at wise that I've found reliable and honest...Good follow up/cust. service from him.....If you want more info PM me....I don't get anything from it as a referral, but I'll make sure you know how to get the best bang for your buck from him...(Bigger orders or Monthly setup during a "Big" sale time(Only once or twice a year)....water storage deals too. :)...

The way I negotiate often needs a managers approval but that what I love about working direct with wise...They'll think outside of the box and work with you where Mountain House says "take-it-or-leave-it".

One other one I will mention hear out of the many tried....Valley food storage..........

I only tried their meats and their really good....re-sealable packets so once you break it open it's good until you finish it.(respectively)....Here's my rub with them though. I bought a variety meat bucket with the intention of trying their quality...The description of what came in the bucket was off....They had substituted a lesser meat vs the 3 "BEEF" packets that were supposed to be in there.(One extra each of the other three meats was in there to make the quantity count correct)

Upon contacting them they stated that they usually notify the client if there is a shortage of one being substituted out, but this didn't happen and it wasn't marked on the bucket either....They made up for it by sending me the 3 BEEF packets for no additional charge so that was good.

---BUT---- This opened my eyes to a bigger issue..... HOW OFTEN IS THIS HAPPENING???......Not with just them, but any supplier???

That little seal on the bucket?....It's not going to effect your long term storage....Its sunlight/temp/and the Mylar bad that is the real deal.

CRACK open those buckets when you get them as long as the meals are individually packaged in Mylar....Check what is hidden in there....You might be surprised if you don't one day if you go to open a bucket of "such and such" and find its really "so and so"....That will matter if it really ever does go to a SHTF scenario!

~D

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Rowan-The-Red » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:27 am

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:
Augusta Farms.....Not too impressed here...Honestly I haven't had a LOT of their stuff so not a complete, logical opinion formed here, but after cost per serving and so far taste is involved, not sure I'm going to.

CRACK open those buckets when you get them as long as the meals are individually packaged in Mylar....Check what is hidden in there....You might be surprised if you don't one day if you go to open a bucket of "such and such" and find its really "so and so"....That will matter if it really ever does go to a SHTF scenario!

~D

great information. and great idea about cracking open the buckets.

One question though, did you mean Auguson Farms instead of Augusta Farms? I haven't heard of Augusta Farms and when I looked them up online I get Auguson Farms.
Rowan-The-Red

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:21 am

Rowan-The-Red wrote:
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:

~D

great information. and great idea about cracking open the buckets.

One question though, did you mean Auguson Farms instead of Augusta Farms? I haven't heard of Augusta Farms and when I looked them up online I get Auguson Farms.

Yes...You are correct...lol...I always get their name wrong for some reason.

Thanks for the catch and clearing it up for anyone. :thumbsup:

Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Rowan-The-Red » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:32 pm

@ DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE no problem. I just thought that there might be another company that I had never heard of. But either way I am glad you gave a review on that one as well because Sam's Club has a pretty decent savings on them right now but we have never tried ANY of the prepared food buckets from ANY company and have been hesitant to get any because we weren't sure if we would end up liking them. Yes, any food is better than NO FOOD, but if I am going to make that sort of investment I would much prefer to make it in a company's product that gives more bang for the buck - taste included.
Rowan-The-Red

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Rowan-The-Red wrote:@ DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE no problem. I just thought that there might be another company that I had never heard of. But either way I am glad you gave a review on that one as well because Sam's Club has a pretty decent savings on them right now but we have never tried ANY of the prepared food buckets from ANY company and have been hesitant to get any because we weren't sure if we would end up liking them. Yes, any food is better than NO FOOD, but if I am going to make that sort of investment I would much prefer to make it in a company's product that gives more bang for the buck - taste included.

Ya. I feel ya...It was the same with me.

Like i said, I strongly suggest calling at least 3 manufactures you are considering to get the free samples to try.....Save them and cook all at one time after all arrive and do a side-by-side comparison to fit your personal taste.

You can just Google any company's contact page for their #....I find better results happen when calling vs online.

Here's a few I found quickly...

Mountain House---https://www.mountainhouse.com/m/CTUS.html---Phone: 1-800-547-0244 Hours: M-F, 8 am - 5 pm PST

Wise----CUSTOMER SERVICE: 800-393-2570

Augason Farms---Request a FREE Sample 800-878-0099

Valley Food Storage1020 W 600 S STE 400 Lindon, UT 84042 Call us at: 800.403.8182
E-mail: info@valleyfoodstorage.com

Good luck and happy hunting!

~D

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Rowan-The-Red » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:39 pm

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:
Rowan-The-Red wrote:@ DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE no problem. I just thought that there might be another company that I had never heard of. But either way I am glad you gave a review on that one as well because Sam's Club has a pretty decent savings on them right now but we have never tried ANY of the prepared food buckets from ANY company and have been hesitant to get any because we weren't sure if we would end up liking them. Yes, any food is better than NO FOOD, but if I am going to make that sort of investment I would much prefer to make it in a company's product that gives more bang for the buck - taste included.

Ya. I feel ya...It was the same with me.

Like i said, I strongly suggest calling at least 3 manufactures you are considering to get the free samples to try.....Save them and cook all at one time after all arrive and do a side-by-side comparison to fit your personal taste.

You can just Google any company's contact page for their #....I find better results happen when calling vs online.

Here's a few I found quickly...

Mountain House---https://www.mountainhouse.com/m/CTUS.html---Phone: 1-800-547-0244 Hours: M-F, 8 am - 5 pm PST

Wise----CUSTOMER SERVICE: 800-393-2570

Augason Farms---Request a FREE Sample 800-878-0099

Valley Food Storage1020 W 600 S STE 400 Lindon, UT 84042 Call us at: 800.403.8182
E-mail: info@valleyfoodstorage.com

Good luck and happy hunting!

~D

great, thanks so much. We shall definitely do that!
Rowan-The-Red

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:47 pm

We purchased most of our dried food from Emergency Essentials. We normally buy what I label "meal components" but do have some add water entrees - all of those are Mountain House purchased on sale. We have never purchased food that wasn't on sale really.

Another company to look at is Thrive. Their quality is very good. I had a friend who was a consultant when we lived in SC. She attended our group meetings and campouts and allowed folks to sample the foods - freeze dried corn is like candy! I was never disappointed with any of their stuff. They have a wide variety of products, different sizes and monthly sales.

We haven't purchased anything in a few years but there's a lot of options and variety out there.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby apache235 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:51 am

Take a look at Cosco, I believe their freeze dried stuff is made by Mtn house, but it's a lot cheaper.
apache235

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:47 am

apache235 wrote:Take a look at Cosco, I believe their freeze dried stuff is made by Mtn house, but it's a lot cheaper.

If you're talking about Nutristore, that's Thrive.(and Shelf Reliance before Thrive)
http://topfoodstoragereviews.com/foodstorage-com-shelf-relaince

Was that it or is there another Costco brand I'm missing??? easy prep, daily bread, ....There's so many now....lol!

Maybe I should start one. :rofl:

Always good to learn more though....

Here's a great article about buying from Costco also....http://topfoodstoragereviews.com/costco-emergency-food-storage-review

~D

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby NJMike » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:11 am

Good discussion.

I'm not married to any one dried food company and typically buy on deep discounted sales. Given I'm able to can, ferment, or dehydrate food myself, it's really only the price that sells me, or a need to fill a gap in stored SHTF ingredients.

That said, in my primary long term storage there are #10 cans that are a mix of freeze dried, dehydrated and/or dry goods mostly from Augason Farms, Mountain House, Emergency Essentials, Honeyville, and a local LDS Storage Center. I've had a packing quality issue with mail order from Augason, however they made good on it.

For the long term options, I don't typically buy meal packaging. Instead my #10 cans are focused around pantry staples. Because of an ingredients approach, I do also buy direct or wholesale items vs. the "Prepper Suppliers" we're talking about when discussing dried food companies. That could be a mix of storable items dry or not, such as salt, sugar, honey, maple syrup, vinegar, and spices.

For ready to eat, I have some Mountain House and MREs (which we know aren't truly as long term). But I'll happily eat dried fruits, seeds and nuts too, which can have a good calorie to dollar ratio.

I'm always reading the ingredients first in selection of meals. I avoid textured vegetable proteins (TVPs) that are common in the meat* dishes as the *meat flavored substitute. TVPs, High Sodium, and MSG are usually dis-qualifiers for me. I wasn't aware that Wise had changed their recipe(s) to have less sodium. I'd previously written off Wise due to the high sodium, but still have to read ingredients .Things like the Chili Mac use TVP instead of real meat.

I can't contribute much on flavor of the dried food companies. My strategy to date has been rotating through short and midterm expiration date items (e.g.- things that expire in <3years like general canned goods). Most of the dried stuff that is 10, 15, 25+ year expiration isn't currently in my short term plans to rotate. If things are bad and I'm hungry and it's food, I'll be eating it regardless, with lots of honey or spices thrown in.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Next

Return to General Food Topics