• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Beef Jerky

Discuss general food topics here

Beef Jerky

Postby Y2KNOWAY » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:41 pm

I like it - in small amounts, especially the terriaki beef jerky.

But as I am new at all this, I was wondering if there was a better source for beef jerky than typical grocery stores.

I guess I am looking for the most jerky per $$.

Also, has anyone heard of pounding (cutting/chopping) jerky and then adding it to soups? If meat is scarce I was trying to think of ways to make it stretch. Would it 're-hydrate' like dried fruit does?
Fear allows or makes people do stupid things. They don’t make good decisions. Well, if there’s a crisis that they have not prepared you for, you will be fearful. Glen Beck, 11/8/2010
Y2KNOWAY
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Re: Beef Jerky

Postby mmpaints » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Well, from what I've read, native American indians did that, made jerky to preserve their meat and added to their soups etc.

I steer away hard from the store bought anything because the chemicals in it makes me sick. MSG mainly. I make my own jerky all the time, both beef and deer. The important part of it is to make sure all the fat is gone because it goes rancid. The meat doesnt fare too well when that happens.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Homemade beef jerky is the best to use, and you know how well the fat is removed which is very important to prevent the meat from going rancid as MM said...
You know what your putting into it, the quality of your chosen meats, how well it has been processed, what spices and such you have used..
We use on traditional cut flank steak for our jerkys... It is great having a husband who who was a specialty cajun butcher for many years, he will clean up the meats so well....

Using Meat jerky is great to have on hand to use as add ons to soups and casseroles.. You can season homemade jerky for specific recipes, seal the amount you need in small mylar bags and tape them to premade made dehyadrated soup mixes...
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby IceFire » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:08 pm

Have to agree with the others...homemade jerky is THE BEST! You can use exactly the herbs, spices, and flavorings that YOU prefer, and in the proportions that taste best to you. For example, the storebought teryaki jerky is usually WAY too strong on the teryaki...when you make your own, you can tone it down to a level that you prefer)

Beef, venison, whatever....there just isn't any comparison.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:32 am

:)
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby TheLight » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:01 pm

Once again, Alto Brown has a great jerky recipe. Haven't made it in ages, but man is it good.
Oh, he also has one heck of a smart way to make it without a traditional dehydrator. He also talks about how to make your own liquid smoke. Here's the episode.

"Where did I leave that clue-by-four?" -Me
"TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once." -Rush2112
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." ~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Tinga » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Thanks for that link. I watched that a while ago and was trying to find it for my husband to watch.
I wonder if you would reverse the fan so it blows DOWN, and use a lil bit of dry ice to cool it down??
He did say cold and dry works
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
-Thomas Jefferson

[url]https://www.facebook.com/RockHillRabbitry[/url]
Tinga
Oregon Preppers Network
Oregon Preppers Network

Postby Y2KNOWAY » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Good info. Thanks guys! 8)
Fear allows or makes people do stupid things. They don’t make good decisions. Well, if there’s a crisis that they have not prepared you for, you will be fearful. Glen Beck, 11/8/2010
Y2KNOWAY

Postby paladin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:09 pm

thank you Light for posting these videos.... I learn soooo much from this BB- I appreciate all the postings and forums....
never thought about re-=hydrating the jerky - might be lots easier to store jerky than to pressure can meats.... :glare:
MNB
Daniel 12:1
[ The End Times ] “At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will be delivered.
paladin

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:35 pm

TheLight wrote:Once again, Alto Brown has a great jerky recipe. Haven't made it in ages, but man is it good.
Oh, he also has one heck of a smart way to make it without a traditional dehydrator. He also talks about how to make your own liquid smoke. Here's the episode.

He ate the meat RAW! I thought you couldn't eat RAW meat! So, the meat is dehydrated UNCOOKED?? -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:43 pm

I just watched this ... household filters and a fan????

:offtopic: (slightly) -- for just a min, please. Oke, he says how warm air 'cooks' food. I've often wondered about that, when using my dehydrator. So ... can you use this method to dehydrate other foods?? Can you imagine how much food you can dehydrate using those filters! Say you're dehydrating a LOT of veggies. Couldn't you use those filters several times to dry peas and then switch to new filters for another veggie? -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby TheLight » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:23 am

ReadyMom wrote:
TheLight wrote:Once again, Alto Brown has a great jerky recipe. Haven't made it in ages, but man is it good.

He ate the meat RAW! I thought you couldn't eat RAW meat! So, the meat is dehydrated UNCOOKED?? -k

Yep. Steak Tartare is one of many dishes where you eat meat raw. In fact, most cured meats designed for long-term storage are uncooked. Even smoking has to be done carefully and at low temperature to avoid cooking the meat. You cook it, you need to refrigerate it. Look at salami, prosciutto, and most other fermented sausages. These use raw meat as well.

ReadyMom wrote:I just watched this ... household filters and a fan????

:offtopic: (slightly) -- for just a min, please. Oke, he says how warm air 'cooks' food. I've often wondered about that, when using my dehydrator. So ... can you use this method to dehydrate other foods?? Can you imagine how much food you can dehydrate using those filters! Say you're dehydrating a LOT of veggies. Couldn't you use those filters several times to dry peas and then switch to new filters for another veggie? -k

This is why I love Alton Brown. He turns on lightbulbs in people's heads. :smartass: Yes, you can use the filter setup to dry out most anything. You can't stack them too high because they slow down airflow. The reason your dehydrator raises the temperature (usually) is so that it can pull more water into the air quicker. Higher temps hold more moisture. Regarding re-using filters, if you've got things like veggies, I see no reason why you couldn't reuse them once they've had a chance to dry out a bit.

Also, you should see his smoker. He made it out of a hot plate, small cast iron skillet, and a cardboard box. The man is a genius.
"Where did I leave that clue-by-four?" -Me
"TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once." -Rush2112
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." ~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:07 am

Thank you! Well ... this puts a whole new spin on the idea of dehydrating! Volume! :D -k
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to General Food Topics