• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

How To Long Term Store...Tobacco?

Miscellaneous food preserving topics

How To Long Term Store...Tobacco?

Postby DesertDweller » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:32 pm

I'm wondering if there is a way to long term store tobacco? Can it be frozen? Mylar sealed? Anyone know?
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire" ~Charles Bukowski~
DesertDweller
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Re: How To Long Term Store...Tobacco?

Postby WyoDutch » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Good question.

I'm guessing vacuum packed and kept cool.

I'll be watching this thread. I quit smoking years ago, but if I can find a way to store a few cartons of Marlboros long-term, I'll be doing it.
You know times are bad in America when GW Bush's presidency starts looking good..
WyoDutch
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby mmpaints » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:09 pm

I grow tobacco here and while it doesnt end up smoking exactly like store bought, it's decent. Better than tree bark for the person with a nicotine habit ;) If kept in a can (handy for smoking) it tends to dry out. A quick mist with a spray bottle moistens it up and takes the harsh out of it. Dry tobacco is hard to roll too. I keep mine vac sealed in around a half gallon size per bundle so I don't have a large amount drying out at a time. I have yet to grow enough to cover the hubsters smoking habit from harvest to new growth tho ;)

Store bought smokes I keep in the freezer which wont be an option here once the grid goes down...
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby High Hopes » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:28 pm

I keep my pipe tobacco in half gallon ball jars sealed with a vaccuum sealer and the approriate attachment. Mylar is good too, but with the jars you can reseal them even with a hand vaccuum pump. Pull out a few days worth, and reseal!
High Hopes

Postby timortiz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:29 pm

I'm a committed smoker who has given much thought to tobacco storage. The conclusion I have reached is that for long term storage ( 5+ years) pipe tobacco is the way to go. In sealed tins or mason jars it may actually improve with age. I've heard of examples nearing almost 20 years in storage under the right conditions.
timortiz
Illinois Preppers Network
Illinois Preppers Network

Postby UncleJoe » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:40 pm

DesertDweller wrote:I'm wondering if there is a way to long term store tobacco? Can it be frozen? Mylar sealed? Anyone know?

When I bought cigs, I used to keep them in the freezer but it was never more than a month so I don't know how long they would keep in that way.

What I do now is make my own. Back in '08 when I first heard about the coming tax on cig tobacco, I started buying as many 1# bags as I could. By April of '09 when the tax went into effect, I had nearly 40# stashed away in totes. Each tote holds 20#. When one is emptied a new one is pulled to the front and the empty is slowly refilled. It was stored in the original sealed bags in the cellar. That lasted 2 of us until June '10. We didn't notice any difference in quality.

Right after I started putting it away I decided to break one open and vacuum seal it with a food saver. About a year later, I opened it and discovered that it had dried out and was a bit stale tasting which really caught me off guard. :? The only thing I could figure was that pulling the air out also pulled out a lot of moisture so it just stays in the original bag now.

Cig tobacco went up to $44.00 a lb after the tax went into effect so I now buy and store pipe tobacco. It's still, for now, only $11.00 a pound. I'm up to about 35# so far and want to get it up to about 90# but I've shifted our focus to finishing off our arsenal. That 90# will give us a three year reserve.
And To The Republic For Which It Used To Stand

[b]The powers that be are telling us there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

What they’re not telling us is that it’s an oncoming train.[/b]
UncleJoe

Postby thelastpatriot65 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:05 pm

I used to smoke, when I quit about a year ago I had about 2 cartons left. I vacuum sealed them with silica beads and oxygen absorbers, When I did this I was thinking of bartering with them. A month or so ago my buddy saw them and asked if he could have them, I told him yes. He told me they were a little dry, but gave him what he wanted. I plan on doing this again (could be more valuable than Gold)!
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." -Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"There are Two Types of Pain in this World: The Temporary Pain of Discipline, or the Permanent Pain of Regret" -- anonymous
thelastpatriot65
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Postby goodoleboy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:29 pm

I know that RJR stores thier tobacco in climate controled cold storage almost like a humidor. These work very well because most of the tobacco is harvested this time of year then stored until processed thru out the year. I know that temp and himidity is critical but I didnt pay enough attention to see what that might have been. I have done work in some of the warehouses as well as the processing and production plant.
goodoleboy
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby DesertDweller » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:44 pm

I was thinking of vac sealing them, but removing the oxygen would not be good. Maybe put them in the fridge for now. What rolling machine is the easiest/quickest to roll with? I like ultra light menthol, and my dude likes Winston...yech! lol!
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire" ~Charles Bukowski~
DesertDweller
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby High Hopes » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:26 pm

The whole moisture loss thing is nonsense. Remove the oxygen from your tobacco, because the oxygen deteriorates the substance. It is no different than remoning the oxygen from your stored egg noodles or almonds, it is a must for long term.

Put it this way, wet a paper towel and place it inside a ball jar and suck out the o2. Is the paper towel still wet, yesser.

If someone got dry tobbacco from a mylar bag, then it had a hole in it; if it became dry inside a ball jar, they are simply...
High Hopes

Postby UncleJoe » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:49 pm

DesertDweller wrote:What rolling machine is the easiest/quickest to roll with?

I've tried several over the last couple years. This is the one I feel works the best. It's all metal and made to last. Avoid the ones with a lot of plastic parts. They wear out quickly.

http://www.ryotobacco.com/page/ryot/PRO ... h/rymtop07
And To The Republic For Which It Used To Stand

[b]The powers that be are telling us there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

What they’re not telling us is that it’s an oncoming train.[/b]
UncleJoe

Postby mr bill » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Perique Tobacco is a unique variety grown only in Saint James Parish Louisiana. The name refers to the way the tobacco is cured and stored for long term use. Most old timers wrapped the tobacco in hemp rope bindings and allowed it to ferment. The longer the tobacco is bound the mellower it becomes and the more expensive it becomes. Some tobacco has been wrapped and stored for more than twenty years and has become a sought after delight to the connoisseur's of fine smoke. It turns a deep, dark brown or black when fully processed and the aroma is a treat unto itself.
I grow Perique here in Georgia and have no idea how it compares with the original grown in St. James. I do not go the traditional route of wrapping the tobacco as I no longer smoke and mostly grow it for friends and LTS/SHTF situations. I have found that curing the leaf and allowing a little fermentation to take place seems to help preserve the smell, texture and moisture levels of the tobacco. As far as the taste, I get quite a few friends asking for re-fills. Most people like to smoke it in a pipe. I store the "baccy" packed tight in 2 gallon food grade buckets. After curing and fermenting the leaf is allowed to dry to just the right amount so as not to crumble into powder and not to pack like a snowball. (it takes a bit of practice and patience). Then I place it loose in a food grade plastic bag, put the bag in the bucket and add a 1/2" plywood circle cut-out to the top of the bag. This is then weighed down with a couple of bricks and left to compress at room temp. for 2 or 3 weeks. After that the top is put on the bucket and the bucket is stored in a year round 68 degree basement. So far so good. I have not had any problems with the stuff molding or drying out. It actually smells great when the bucket is opened.
If you are a smoker or just someone who enjoys growing things I would suggest trying to propagate tobacco. It is not too hard to grow and may vary well turn out to be a valuable prep in the future.
Leader zone 5, Clarke County
P!
mr bill

Postby MrDanB » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:46 pm

You can buy bags of tobacco online, at local smoke shops or some grocery stores. Here, a large bag will make up approximately 2 cartons and costs 27 bucks. Buy a case of "tubes" (basically a cigarette without the tobacco in it) and an injector. You can ryo (roll your own) for a dollar a pack if you are frugal! Look on ebay at injectors. They run about 5 bucks and up. Since the bags are sealed from the factory they should last quite a while. There are discs you can buy that you soak in water overnight, then place in the bag once you open it. It will keep your tobacco moist, but not damp or wet. I have tried flavored tobacco mixed with regular cut ryo and it is all natural. Took me a bit to get used to it, but if you have to smoke, it's way better than chemical sprayed store bought stuff. (just my .02 as usual) :)
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby kilroyjc » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:14 am

I like these for my cigars, which I keep in glass snap-lid jars:

http://www.drymistat.com/

MADE IN USA :clap:
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury refilled, public debt reduced, the arrogance of officialdom tempered, and assistance to foreign lands curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

Cicero 55 BC
kilroyjc
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby mark44146 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:23 pm

I do not see a bookmark button, so I'll leave a reply. Thanks for the topic.
mark44146

Next

Return to Other Food Preserving