• Advertisement

Wildlife Recon

Post general SC topics here

Moderators: MouseToes, ForwardPreppers, HCPrepper

Wildlife Recon

Postby Earthbound » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:55 pm

With all the reports coming in of animal die offs and all the unbelievable explanations we're being fed by the folks in authority, not to mention all the varied opinions of us ordinary Joes on the internet, I decided to get away from the internet for awhile today and go back to nature. To do a little reconnaissance of my own. So I went to one of the remotest, most isolated areas I know of near my home. I headed out to the waterfowl management area next to a river that I canoe often.

It was quiet; no one around for miles as far as I could tell. On the way I passed through lots of upland forests and fields. No sign of anything unusual. No dead birds, not even the ordinary road kill. The river and large stream were both clear (relatively speaking), with no sign of any dead fish, nothing amiss.

[image removed]

The waterfowl impoundment (shown in the photo) was quiet and peaceful. No ducks, not even wood ducks, to be seen, but then there is not a lot of food there for them this time of year so it would not be surprising. I did see a gaggle of Canada geese fly away as I walked around the impoundment. Although the cattail section would make good red-winged blackbird habitat in spring, there were none around now. Only a few songbirds were present, mostly sparrows in the brush at the edge. Nothing looked unusual at the impoundment, along the river or anywhere else.

I have been seeing a lot of vultures and crows flying over my house. This morning they were all headed northwest. Sometimes they just circle, but I can't spot anything unusual that might attract them. The songbirds were missing when I first ventured out this morning but they returned after I refilled my bird feeder.

So, everything seems OK around home for now, except with so little wildlife to be seen, I was thinking that if I had to depend on hunting for survival, I'd probably starve.
Earthbound
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

Re: Wildlife Recon

Postby itsadisaster » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:48 pm

Come to 'zona EB..! We've got chubby quail, dove and sometimes big ol' pigeon hanging around in our yard all the time (well, except for when the hawk is hiding stealthily in our citrus trees. We feed little birds which then attracts the bigger ones and predators. Nice river shot! Sure wish we had water like that nearby... that's our biggest concern out here. Hope to have water on new property once we move.
Be Aware... Be Prepared... and Have a Plan! Download a free mini ebook portion of IT'S A DISASTER! ...and what are YOU gonna do about it?
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Return to South Carolina Discussion, News and Weather