• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

Starving Masses Will Turn Into Real Life Zombies

Post General Washington Topics here

Moderator: MrDanB

Re: Starving Masses Will Turn Into Real Life Zombies

Postby Matt117 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:04 pm

I've been invited to join a group thats out past Wenatchee, but with my luck the passes will be closed because of snow or something else. I plan to bugin on a couple of acres that I have near Gig Harbor than take a chance of not being able to get past the Seattle - Tacoma area if the SHTF. There is land for sale near my place and we can help each other out when things do get bad if anyone is interested.
Matt117

Postby How » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Strive to be the best you and your can be. Ie learn what it would take to survive,then go out and hone your skills to the point it becomes second nature.
While honing skills, gather supplies.
Make plans A B C and D some may or may not include others then your family,and for gods sake don't run your mouth about them.
So when shtf does happen take it as it comes remain flexible and use your head.
How

Postby oldasrocks » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:50 pm

There is no way to bug out from our location. Roads will be blocked within a short period of time. Cross country is impossible unless you are a goat. The roads will look like Katrina and filled with hungry crazy people.

We plan to stay here and live or die. Besides I'm too old to hike very far.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby SEWashington » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:27 am

I believe it really depends on the nature of the event. Most can be weathered out. There are few that actually would force a whole town or city to leave or a whole region. It really will come down to our judgement wether we should stay or leave and for most staying is the best since few have a place to go.
SEWashington

Postby daaswampman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:28 pm

oldasrocks wrote:There is no way to bug out from our location. Roads will be blocked within a short period of time. Cross country is impossible unless you are a goat. The roads will look like Katrina and filled with hungry crazy people.

We plan to stay here and live or die. Besides I'm too old to hike very far.

I hope you consider more than one plan. It is very unlikely that there will be no warning of most events. I had a house full days before Katrina and another before Rita. They were the smart ones and did not wait until they knew for sure and had zero problems on the highway. If your retired then you have a huge advantage in time. You don't have to wait until you get home from work. Just a few more years and I will have that advantage!!! A false run is just good practice for the real event. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Graywolf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:37 am

I think we are staying put but have started a bug out plan to daughters house which is a water community with one way (road) in and out. We live about 15 miles from a major city where the food will run out quickly. Have good plans to make it hard to get into the house but it will never be impossible and fire is a big problem. I wish I knew if there were more like minded foks in the area.
Graywolf

Postby Alaska Rose » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:28 am

Where I live, there are very few neighbors but a few can be as bad as many in some situations. Most of the problem here will depend on what time of year it is as to what can be done and where can a person go. Weather will be the main deciding factor. There is only one road.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866

Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and my autobiography all in one.

Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Christy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:26 am

You plan your options and work from there, we will be staying put, there is no other option, water is a huge concern, 70 miles in any direction to a lake, you can't carry enough water,everyone else would be there too, no streams, no rivers, water only from you, from what you bring up from underground, so staying put, defending your property and praying for the best, that is our plan. Bug out would be great, but where would we go? You die out here in this part of the USA without water with you, so stay put. The starving masses will come, deal with it or die.
Christy
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Postby Pedro wyoming » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:15 am

SE Wa makes some good points, However the options listed below have a few details that need managed to make them work. Green text is my observations and experience.

SEWashington wrote:There are options. Some might work well for others while some will not.
1. You can cache supplies out in the middle of nowhere. This will take some time and planning with no guarantee of security.
Very true, the problem is public land vs private land. Refuge in the state park gets crowded when everyone with this idea finally gets there. A cache on private land in the middle of nowhere may be viewed as trespass and vigorously repelled.

2. You can volunteer for an organization that has the livestock, land and basic setup. Get to know the people and see if it is a good fit for you. Most ranches do not have the ability to become self sufficient due to day to day maintenance costs. The cost is tremendous for a wind/solar power setup. Most do not have a backup power supply for their well pump either. With enough help from the right individuals , who have a desire, this could be accomplished with the same amout of money you would have to invest in your own land. The plus sides is you would not be responsible for managing the ranch or day to day maintenance expenses. This could be a downside too in the wrong hands. I know of two ranches right now who take volunteers. One is in the blue mountains above umatilla. The other is in SE washington along the snake river. There is one place up in the cascade range on the eastern side as well.
I am sure that there are complex livestock operations that require significant outside support to continue. I live between and among several ranches. These folks are very self sufficient of necessity with day to day operations. They DO have the means to protect their livestock from predation regardless if the predators have four legs or two. If you plan to co-op with them, do it now. Volunteer your time (yes...for free) to help them with fences, round ups, and branding. Otherwise, WSHTF, you will be standing in a line at their gate with everybody else that has the same idea. The results do not favor the unfamiliar city folks that are in trouble.
The last option is one I would like to avoid as well.
3.Try to get by on the move with limited supplies with no place to go . I believe this would be the last option for most.

Dead last and lethal for most. This makes you a refugee at the mercy of many other people. If this is your best option, skills will always trump stuff.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby SEWashington » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:05 am

I would suggest you all be wise and plan ahead before you end up in a predicament. We all have limitations and we should plan for them. Whether its our limited ability to move large amounts of supplies or due to health reasons we need to have plans in place to circumvent any issues that may pop their ugly little head into our lives especially in a SHTF situation. People who did not prepare could easily decide to turn on preppers. This could take on different facets, even legal ones such as anti- hoarding laws.
SEWashington

Postby mr bill » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:35 am

I agree with SEWashington, Planning ahead is what prepping is about. Have your main plan, develop several contingencies, and remain as flexible as possible.
Leader zone 5, Clarke County
P!
mr bill

Postby namwal » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:32 am

SEWashington wrote:Lets take a look at the illogical viewpoints that some preppers have. The number one being they will not have to leave their home in a major catastrophic event. Some go as far as to turn their house into a bunker. I believe this mindset of being sold on the investment could be detramental to their safety. When the masses come to get what you have it could be a very bad situation especially if you decided to shelter in place.
I know some have families and this seems best since carrying all the supplies you would need would require a semi-truck. It is hard being a prepper but if you do prep it is hard to keep it a secret. People find out and the majority will turn on others to get by. Wouldn't it be wise to have a backup plan in case you had to leave with your family? You cannot carry all that you would need even with a trailer.

You can not generalize for every one. Few people, even preppers can just up and live off the land. Becoming a refugee will put you at the mercy of the elements and others. Having a well stocked BOL that you can't get to, or that will be raided or occupied before you get there is wasteful. Everyone's situation differs. For me I bought acrage in the country and now live with my crew year round in my BOL. Short of a well organized military assault against my property, some sort of radiation contamination or something like that, it would make little sense to leave my preps, live stock, tools, arms, nieghbors, land, shelter, and water source to roam the country side in 100 degree weather with only what we can carry. We do plan for that if need be, but it is a final option.

I think that city and suburban people will need to leave at some point. But it might make sense to hold out as long as possible. After all where would tens or hundreds of thousands of people all go at the same time? If there is wide spread looting, killing and general chaos, it may be best to hunker down and let the storm pass. The longer one can hold out, the less people will be left living to pose a threat or compete for resourses. Of course many of those remaining might be some bad characters. Once remaining thugs become organized into raiding parties, staying put might be less desirable in more populated settings.

Its all left to your best guess. As mentioned, every situation and scenario will vary, so one's tactics for dealing with it will also. Preparing means not holding to only one option, bug in or bug out. The event, your skills, location, numbers, and resources will dictate what course of action is best. Forging into the unknown should not be taken lightly either...
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby mr bill » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:24 am

You are right in that every situation may differ. However we as preppers should not need a weather man to know which way the wind blows. Better to have situational awareness and do what you need to do before the choice is no longer yours. Sometimes in those kind of events, you just have to rely on the facts at hand and a healthy dose of gut feelings. You, of course would have to make up your own mind but I don't know if I would want to wait around until there were not any options left.
Leader zone 5, Clarke County
P!
mr bill

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:50 pm

I think its going to be more a financial catastrophe and possibly food shortages from droughts. I don't see other scenarios really or not at this time. We are in the process of moving from the outskirts of a major southern city back home to where we came from 30 years ago.

The house we bought and paid cash for however may be a problem. Its a tiny town but we bought the newest biggest house here on 4 acres and getting ready to build a big garage. It has a full, dry 1700 sq ft basement also. I'm thinking the neighbors will figure if anyone has anything to steal it will be us. But hubby grew up with many of these folks so heres' hoping. It's a big farming area and not near the people there used to be about 14 people per sq mile they say now.

I have 2 small freezers I'm going to move up but freezing isn't the way to go. I have a lot of home canned food to move and other items, need additional jars for the frozen items. To me its just many people are getting poorer. Jobs have been outsourced and I think anyone who has anything is going to be vulnerable. There is a lot of theft here now but there is most anyplace anymore.

However, we went from a house with 2 wells to one with community water, I asked hubby about drilling and he thinks its pretty far down, have to see how that goes. Also this is all electric and our other house had propane hot water and range which was good. We also had a big generator but it wouldn't run this house. I'm wanting a wholehouse genny with autoturn on and a 500 gallon tank of propane, its much cheaper up here for propane. We will change to a gas stove as I'm a poor cook on electric but won't happen tomorrow.

I'm thinking its just going to be a long slow decline in wages for people if they continue pulling out jobs, its strange how the rich politicos who are making all the money from this example, romney never mention their part in it.

We will stay here, don't know where else we would go anyway, probably as safe here as anywhere.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby SEWashington » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:45 am

I am sure if you have invested a couple grand in a food supply you would not leave it out in the open at a BOL? That would be asking for abuse. Yes it is best to live at your BOL but for some that is not an option. Some people have more cashflow rhan they do time , although that number is degrading day by day. The fact is that the majority of the public is not prepared and at the mercy and whims of nature. If you live in a city your planning might entail a BOL that is well hidden and supplied. If you have not thought about how you would deal with the possibility of undesireables camping on your BOL you should. As for living off the land you will have competition and the lifestyle is not one of comfort. Very few can do it long term.

You can not generalize for every one. Few people, even preppers can just up and live off the land. Becoming a refugee will put you at the mercy of the elements and others. Having a well stocked BOL that you can't get to, or that will be raided or occupied before you get there is wasteful. Everyone's situation differs. For me I bought acrage in the country and now live with my crew year round in my BOL. Short of a well organized military assault against my property, some sort of radiation contamination or something like that, it would make little sense to leave my preps, live stock, tools, arms, nieghbors, land, shelter, and water source to roam the country side in 100 degree weather with only what we can carry. We do plan for that if need be, but it is a final option.

I think that city and suburban people will need to leave at some point. But it might make sense to hold out as long as possible. After all where would tens or hundreds of thousands of people all go at the same time? If there is wide spread looting, killing and general chaos, it may be best to hunker down and let the storm pass. The longer one can hold out, the less people will be left living to pose a threat or compete for resourses. Of course many of those remaining might be some bad characters. Once remaining thugs become organized into raiding parties, staying put might be less desirable in more populated settings.

Its all left to your best guess. As mentioned, every situation and scenario will vary, so one's tactics for dealing with it will also. Preparing means not holding to only one option, bug in or bug out. The event, your skills, location, numbers, and resources will dictate what course of action is best. Forging into the unknown should not be taken lightly either...[/quote]
SEWashington

Previous

Return to General Washington Discussions