• Advertisement

Survival in Maine

Post general topics here

Survival in Maine

Postby abraham » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:12 pm

We have it a little different from any other states here in Maine. The main thing is, you are going to only Maine when you enter because there are no other states that border us when you leave N,H..

We have a rockie coast with limited use.

That said we have wild life, fish and plenty of wood to keep you warm. Survival skills here are a must if you go into the woods. I mean that as any time you do go into the woods. They are not forgiving to the ones that have no savvy of how to get back out. Sure we have rescue teams. Can you live off your items you carry on you? Say one day? Two days?

Before you come here or are a person who has lived here for awhile. carry items to keep you alive for a few days.

I will post later what I feel you need with you. Others if you know what to carry, Please post it here in this thread
abraham

Re: Survival in Maine

Postby Emtuition » Tue May 10, 2011 4:18 pm

Would love to hear what you think we'd need Abraham.
Emtuition

Postby cityhomesteader » Tue May 10, 2011 4:34 pm

abraham wrote:We have it a little different from any other states here in Maine. The main thing is, you are going to only Maine when you enter because there are no other states that border us when you leave N,H..

We have a rockie coast with limited use.

That said we have wild life, fish and plenty of wood to keep you warm. Survival skills here are a must if you go into the woods. I mean that as any time you do go into the woods. They are not forgiving to the ones that have no savvy of how to get back out. Sure we have rescue teams. Can you live off your items you carry on you? Say one day? Two days?

Before you come here or are a person who has lived here for awhile. carry items to keep you alive for a few days.

I will post later what I feel you need with you. Others if you know what to carry, Please post it here in this thread

Got my ears on.. Hope to read this list.. CT has about the same Topography..
Our coast is more usable and our winters are as bad.. But......... I would love to see a list of stuff.. for our climates..
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader
Connecticut State Moderator

Postby bbryder » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:03 pm

hello everybody. i have been on here aot for the past 2 days and i still cant fine a chat room to talk with ppl about prepping i also may never fine this page again because not very good on a computer lol so if u thing u can help me with any ideas plaese let me know at bbryder659659@yahoo.com i really need some HELP at trying to become a prepper .. thank you lisa..... outside of bangor maine
bbryder

Postby Snowbird Bev 9 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:16 pm

Abraham....you posted in 2010....where is the list?
Snowbird Bev 9

Postby Patriot Preacher » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:09 am

Here's a 72hr list, was not my own but modified to my taste which when modified to your particular needs/tastes will be quite useful:

1 – Backpack (Highest quality affordable)
1 – First Aid Kit(many lists online of basic kit contents but "must-haves" are pain relief, anti-diarreals, antacids)
1 – Body Powder(opt)
2 – Flashlights w/Extra Batteries
3 – Glowsticks(per person)
1 – Wind and Waterproof Matches Pack
1 – Magnesium Block(fire starter)
2 – Sandwich Bags Full of FiredUp! (Or any other fire starter/kindling kit of your choice)
1 – Map of Local Area
1 – Compass with Measure (Learn to orienteer if you haven’t yet)
1 – Leatherman Pocket Knife(or similar QUALITY multi-tool)
1 - "E-tool"(entrenching tool or other sturdy collapsible shovel)
1 - Machete(opt)
1 – Hand Saw
1 – Hatchet
1 – Compact Fishing Kit
1 – Cooking Sets(steel better than aluminum but affordable in your budget the key)
1 – Hunting Knife
1 – Stove and Fuel(many styles and costs
12 – Packaged Meals(that YOU will eat)
1 – Body Wipes Package
1 – Toilet Paper Rolls (Remove cardboard roll in the center so it can be easily compressed in your pack)
1 – Trowel(planter sized for digging small holes for waste)
1 – Container of Corn Starch(opt) (Great for use as dry shampoo, burn treatment and insect bites)
1 – Soap / Sanitizer
1 – Sewing Kit
1 – Pocket Radio w/ Extra Batteries(I have a hand-crank type)
1 – Two Way Radio
1 - Disposable cellphone w/charger(whole grid may not be down)
1 – Foam Pads
1 – Sleeping Bags
1 – Pair of Binoculars
2 – Hankies
4 – Plastic Bags(various sizes - large 45 gal doubles as rain poncho/moisture barrier on the ground)
1 – Waterproof Watch
1 – Pairs of Sunglasses
1 – Small Pad of Paper and Pencils(2 carpenter type as they're sturdy)
1 – Bug Repellant
1 – Lip Balm
1 – Sun Block
1 – Aloe Vera(opt)
1 – Mirror
2 – Storm Whistles
1 – 3 L Water Bladder
1 – Water Filter (I prefer Sawyer but also carry homemade filters)
1 - Partial roll of duct tape
1 – Spool of Rope/550 paracord (100+ Feet)
6 – Rubber Bands
6 – Safety Pins
1 – Tent
1 – Tarp (light weight)
1 – Firearms: small caliber rifle and/or Handgun w/Concealed Carry Holsters, with ammo

Extra Seasonal Clothing (Wool Socks, Jacket and Layered Clothing)
Necessary Prescriptions
Copy of Important Legal Documents in Water Proof Pouch
Address Book
Cash – $200 Worth
Coins – $10 Worth

other possible "stuff" - hiking boots, wool socks, thermal underwear, 1 long sleeve shirt, 1 jeans, 1 hoodie, beanies and 2 pairs of gloves.

Bear in mind that appropriate items would be duplicated for each person in your family/group capable of carrying their own b.o.b. common sense SHOULD dictate what not to include in a child's bag...

add to/replace/remove at your own discretion the idea being: be prepared
Pray for the best while prepping for the worst.
Patriot Preacher
Maine Preppers Network
Maine Preppers Network

Postby uglydog » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Here's another...close to home.

www.maine.gov/ifw/education/pdfs/aloneinmainewoods.pdf

I live in CT and pretty much planning to get out of that hole if things start looking bad. Maine/NH will definitely be the place to be, the people are tremendously tight with eachother and will fight to the end.
Connecticut, the zombies are everywhere and reproducing, People in Maine don't know how good you have it regarding survival potential, the woods, fresh water, game, plus, just 20 miles inland and it's like going back to the 1960's. I found my haven up north, the old Connecticut is gone.
uglydog

Postby cityhomesteader » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:52 am

uglydog wrote:Here's another...close to home.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/education/pdfs ... ewoods.pdf

I live in CT and pretty much planning to get out of that hole if things start looking bad. Maine/NH will definitely be the place to be, the people are tremendously tight with eachother and will fight to the end.
Connecticut, the zombies are everywhere and reproducing, People in Maine don't know how good you have it regarding survival potential, the woods, fresh water, game, plus, just 20 miles inland and it's like going back to the 1960's. I found my haven up north, the old Connecticut is gone.

ayup,
LOL My Dad's Family are all up there. we had a small cottage on coffee pond in cosco as a child. Aunts, uncles and cousins all over in Maine.. Smith, White, and Bell all related
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader

Postby Anarchy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Ive been living up here for 49 years and have seen 90% of Maine camped out in every corner of it from time to time for weeks at a time..Wouldnt trade it for any patch of land on this planet You can survive up here if you know what your doing (And i do know what im doing it seems ) Patriot Preacher that bag is nice but a bit heavy That electronic poo poo will FAIL you everytime up here Map & Compass & Topo Map better have it in your kit....As i see you added it to yours.... Maine is a great place to disapear from society if the crap hits the fan... If you''ve got a small to medium Caliber firearm and you know how to hunt you can survive up here for a long time (yeah with a licence game tag , Fish licence) Anyway Welcome to Maine Pilgrim and Remember You carry in You Carry Out....One mans Trash isnt alway's another mans Treasure....
Anarchy

Postby UnemployedinMaine » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:03 am

Anyone ever go hunting and never see anything and come home empty handed.hunting and surviving are two differant things.ATM comming home empty handed is fine you got out there and go home to a nice meal.Surviving come home empty handed means comming home to nothing. You better know how to use snares n trot lines. nets etc. these work while you rest.Something else to think about its wild here because population is sparce in a wtf situation every fool on the east coast from every major city is gonna come thru that choke point right into Maine.Do you really think thats in our best interest ? IMO I cant allow that to happen, my family has military vets demolitionist and marine recon and army rangers.You wanna be in Maine before SHTF because after the only way your comming in is on foot.One other thing Southern Maine and Northern Maine are to very differant places. With very differant temperatures.Ive seen -50 in my door yard for 3 solid weeks before.Not much can kill you here, but weather is a definate killer here if your left exposed.If you have children in tow PLEASE use your head.
UnemployedinMaine

Postby ET2[SW]Moose87 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:03 pm

UnemployedinMaine wrote:Anyone ever go hunting and never see anything and come home empty handed.hunting and surviving are two differant things.ATM comming home empty handed is fine you got out there and go home to a nice meal.Surviving come home empty handed means comming home to nothing. You better know how to use snares n trot lines. nets etc. these work while you rest.Something else to think about its wild here because population is sparce in a wtf situation every fool on the east coast from every major city is gonna come thru that choke point right into Maine.Do you really think thats in our best interest ? IMO I cant allow that to happen, my family has military vets demolitionist and marine recon and army rangers.You wanna be in Maine before SHTF because after the only way your comming in is on foot.One other thing Southern Maine and Northern Maine are to very differant places. With very differant temperatures.Ive seen -50 in my door yard for 3 solid weeks before.Not much can kill you here, but weather is a definate killer here if your left exposed.If you have children in tow PLEASE use your head.

Im a Maine guy currently stationed in CT my current plan is to bug out to Maine. But if i were the Governor i would place the Maine National guard on the 95 bridge at the Maine/NH border and either blow it or only let through Maine residents. which is why ive mapped out a quite a few back ways into the state and to my family.
ET2[SW]Moose87
Connecticut Preppers Network
Connecticut Preppers Network

Return to Maine Discussion, News and Weather