• Advertisement

Extreme Couponing

Post general Mississippi discussions here

Extreme Couponing

Postby Belle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:39 am

I saw a program the other night on TLC called "Extreme Couponing". It showed the stories of 4 different people who use massive amounts of coupons and say between 95-98% on their groceries every month. (All of the values that are given are approximate. I was too busy with my jaw dropped to write down the figures).This one lady have over $900 worth of groceries and with all her coupons only paid like $2 and change. This other man ordered 22 cases of total cereal and with his coupons and double coupons and in store sale, the cereal came out to be free. He said that he was going to donate all of that to his church food pantry. I saw these peoples garages and all of the shelving stocked with everything imaginable from food, detergent, TP and personal products- everything that you could need for years and all I could do was sit there and dream of how I would like something like that for myself and my family. Mind you, I do not think that I have that kind of time to put into that for those massive amounts of products, nor do I think that I could store all of that food for a family of three and actually use it before it expired. But if I learn to do this and save at least half of the money I spend ever month, I could use that money for other prepper things that I would not have coupons for; like that Honda generator that I have been eyeing. My Husband told me about a website called "The Grocery Game". It is a subscription service and they match the coupons from your paper and those you get in the ole mailbox and match them to the sales in the store. A real time saver. Starting this weekend, I am going to browse that site and see how it all works and them I am going to try my hand at this. I will keep you posted and after my first trip to the store doing this, I may just post the actual receipt. If you read this and you know about this from actual practice, any tips would be great. After I saw that show, all I could say was "Who Knew?" :D
Belle

Re: Extreme Couponing

Postby Crusis » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:50 am

I saw that too! I want in on that fricking deal, but I'm too disorganized I think. But who knows.. Where do they get all these coupons?
-- Home Prepping --

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

-- Grandpappy --
Crusis
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby Belle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:16 am

You can get the coupons from the Sunday paper. Also, at least here in Desoto Co, you get them in the mailbox on Wednesday and sometime on Thursday too. I know that I am going to ask my neighbors for theirs since they probably chuck them anyway. I think that there are some sites that you can d/l coupons but be careful of the spyware/adware and cookies.
Belle

Postby WornOut » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:22 am

I haven't seen this yet but I have heard all about it. When is it on? I use a seperate email for coupons to go to because once you sign up for the sites you will be hit with spam. Years ago I was pretty good at keeping track of sales flyers and coupons but since I have moved to less processed food it doesn't benefit me as much. I do still do it for cleaning, laundry, paper and toiletry supplies and of course pet food. Let us know how it works out Belle, I'm rooting for you! :D
WornOut
Mississippi Preppers Network
Mississippi Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:24 am

Here's the website they referred to:CouponMom.com
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:37 am

Good coupon Forum/website:

WeUseCoupons.com

I like this page:
Virtual Class #5 - Where do I find Coupons?

Great tips there!
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Lynda » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:49 pm

I use coupons, but only for the things I usually use. I did pick up a book yesterday to help in my ongoing effort to be even more frugal(I've got a long way to go) and because I'm appalled at the prices for everything. It's a paperback called Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy. In it is a ton of information including stuff that I should have known but didn't. I highly recommend this book. Someone else here had recommended a book called I Can't Believe It's Food Storage and that's on order from Amazon. Thank you to whoever posted this.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby Shelli » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:25 pm

I am one of those "Extreme Couponers" (not one on the show - but a couponer none-the-less). A few things they didn't tell you on the show:

1. Managers will NOT let you use that many coupons in one order - EVER. it was put on for the show.
2. Most managers will NOT special order for you for a sale - it was put on for the show.
3. Most couponers (even extreme ones) still pay for milk, bread, eggs, meat and produce on a regular basis.
4. It took 40 hours to shoot the hour long show (one of the couponers on the show is an email friend of mine, and she told me her segment alone took around 10 hours or so.)
5. It took coupon ordering services to get all the coupons required. My email friend spent somewhere in the area of $70 for the coupons she used. They didn't mention that in the show.

On any given week, I get $100 to $150 worth of groceries for around $50. Please feel free to ask me any questions you have on coupons! :)
Yes, I'm wordy. No, I can't change. ;)
Please visit my blog at http://www.OneChristianMom.blogspot.com
Shelli

Postby cityhomesteader » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:40 pm

Did you ever Notice the Crap that they send you coupons for in the Papers? All highly processed foods and stuff I know I never use.. I make everything from Scratch. Once in awhile they do have something I can use but it just doesn't seem worth going to the trouble of clipping , sorting and storing all those coupons and then remembering to bring them with you?
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader
Connecticut State Moderator

Postby Shelli » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:05 pm

We hit a point in life where if we were paying for it, we couldnt afford it. Aside from some meat and produce, we were using coupons for everything. I had a basic stockpile, but we needed the foods the coupons afforded us. It's also great food for a storage pantry. I know in an emergency, at first I would be working on SHTF rather than food, so I would be glad to have canned stuff, you know? Now that we can afford more stuff, we try to make as much from scratch as we can. However sometimes you will see coupons for sugar, flour, stevia, yeast, not to mention soaps and other hba stuff. we still save over half our grocery bill with coupons, and make most from scratch :)
Shelli

Postby Lynda » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:15 pm

Shelli, do you have a large family? There's just DH and me so I usually use coupons for things like cleaning materials, personal hygiene items such as soap and toothepaste...., yogurt and cheese. Canned items for storage. I'm trying to wean myself away from so much meat and processed foods as well as trying to make my own cleaning materials.

Lynda

Postby Shelli » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Well, myself, my mom, my three kids, and when he's not on the road, my husband. So I consider us a large family, although some people consider us medium ;) We recently made a commitment to cut out fast food completely, and try to curb our refined foods. We I can make detergent, but we can buy it for cheaper. Same for soap. I clean most things with vinegar, but keep other cleaning products on hand for stuff that vinegar just can't cut.
Shelli

Postby Lynda » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Sheli, same here with the fast food. Price comparisons can take hours although I'm trying. Much easier when DH doesn't come with me. :lol:

Lynda

Postby cityhomesteader » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Shelli wrote:We hit a point in life where if we were paying for it, we couldnt afford it. Aside from some meat and produce, we were using coupons for everything. I had a basic stockpile, but we needed the foods the coupons afforded us. It's also great food for a storage pantry. I know in an emergency, at first I would be working on SHTF rather than food, so I would be glad to have canned stuff, you know? Now that we can afford more stuff, we try to make as much from scratch as we can. However sometimes you will see coupons for sugar, flour, stevia, yeast, not to mention soaps and other hba stuff. we still save over half our grocery bill with coupons, and make most from scratch :)

Hey Don't get me wrong shelli, I have seen people come out of the stores with amazing stuff.. I just personally can eat it do to me crappy health.. God bless you and Help you as you do your best to get by and do well. Been there when our kids were tiny. I was Mr mom and know how to take a 18 pound turkey and get 2 weeks worth of meals or more out of it!
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader

Postby Shelli » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:09 pm

City, you got that right! Thank you for the sentiment as well. My husband says I can make lincoln (on the penny) cry! :)

Detentus, As far as price comparison - I bring a notebook to the store with me, with things I want to price written down. That way each time I go to the store, I have a reference point for other stores as to whether I should stock up on something or not. ;)
Shelli

Next

Return to Mississippi Discussion, News and Weather