• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

prepping YOUR elderly

Post general Virginia topics here

Moderator: simpleman

prepping YOUR elderly

Postby artwork5 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:05 pm

I am seeing some elderly people - 75 or so that their families are doing nothing towards prepping them. Am not necessarily interested in discussing the food angle, but the other things. Some elderly in my neighborhood are visited a lot by their families but one lady who has a good family is not getting the suport she needs in her home. A dirty home if the electric goes off is a breeding ground for sickness. Tons of spiders and webs. Her eyeglasses have not been updated for years. Her dog - a little thing, pees inside constantly - I can't breathe in there so I never go in anymore. The ammonia ! She has digestion trouble - probably due to all the bugs and dirty counters that she cannot see. I suspect that her son and daughter - though in their 50's are somewhat afraid of her "imperialness". I would and do not have any trouble pointing out things to my parents who are in their 90's. Would you - anyone - please chime in on what things should be paid attention to for "prepping" your elderly?? A.
artwork5

Re: prepping YOUR elderly

Postby Lynda » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:39 pm

artwork5 wrote:I am seeing some elderly people - 75 or so that their families are doing nothing towards prepping them. Am not necessarily interested in discussing the food angle, but the other things. Some elderly in my neighborhood are visited a lot by their families but one lady who has a good family is not getting the suport she needs in her home. A dirty home if the electric goes off is a breeding ground for sickness. Tons of spiders and webs. Her eyeglasses have not been updated for years. Her dog - a little thing, pees inside constantly - I can't breathe in there so I never go in anymore. The ammonia ! She has digestion trouble - probably due to all the bugs and dirty counters that she cannot see. I suspect that her son and daughter - though in their 50's are somewhat afraid of her "imperialness". I would and do not have any trouble pointing out things to my parents who are in their 90's. Would you - anyone - please chime in on what things should be paid attention to for "prepping" your elderly?? A.

My husband's parents suffered from dementia in varying degrees and eventually were incapable of good decision making; inability to drive, maintenance of vehicle, proper medical care even though they lived in assisted living. My husband had to get really firm, while still allowing them their dignity(this is so hard) and encouraged Dad to go with him to an elder affairs attorney who set up a trust, will, POA and health care proxy. Had Dad refused my husband would have gotten a court order to ensure his mother received the care she needed as an Alzheimers sufferer. They are both deceased now but we do have neighbors in their seventies who are doing really well and have a supportive family. Plus we're here to lend a hand whenever they need us.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:41 pm

It is not always easy dealing with the elderly. When I took my fathers car away (a cancer patient on large doses of pain medication every four hours - does not need to drive) it was a living hell for weeks. I loved my father, he was dying, and just as bull headed as me. God got me through it and kept me from killing him with the poo poo he pulled. Do the best you can and pray. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Lynda » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:50 pm

daaswampman wrote:It is not always easy dealing with the elderly. When I took my fathers car away (a cancer patient on large doses of pain medication every four hours - does not need to drive) it was a living hell for weeks. I loved my father, he was dying, and just a bull headed as me. God got me through it and kept me from killing him with the poo poo he pulled. Do the best you can and pray. Swamp

Swamp, that was the hardest thing to do. Got a phone call from the police station because Dad took his van(after we pulled the plates and a few days before a scheduled pick up for charity) because he went out at night, got lost, asked a cop for directions. 'Course the cop noticed he didn't have plates. I thought my husband WAS going to kill him then. He has alot of patience but he did have to make a 100 mile round trip that night. I felt bad for both of them.

Lynda

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:53 pm

It's hell, I went through it off and on for 10 years with my mom. Sometimes you just can't do anything about it. I would bet she is one of them if you went in and cleaned and threw anything away she would throw a fit.

On the other hand my MIL now lives 3 miles from us, that's one among many reasons we moved back, the slower pace of life is pretty durn nice too. But she is 84 and still mowing an acre or more, walking a mile each morning My husband even showed her how to change the oil on her mower!! Something I don't even do, yet! She is slipping a bit mentally but now someone will at least be around to see she gets the care she needs. She was treated so badly by her husband for so many years and my husband was so good about helping me with my mom its the least I can do. I do not want her living with us but I will help her more when the time comes.

Now I'm no spring chicken, I will be 67 taking care of a 41 year old daughter. Don't know how I will live in later years, but who does.

It will just vary from family to family as to whether they will get help. If we drop all the social help then maybe poor farms will reopen, that's what were done with people way back when and the county took care of them. It was a very sad, very extremely poor life for the indigent as the county could afford little.

I'm talking about taking care of elderly and we are almost there :oops: But my moms family lived into the 80's and my dads made it into the 90s and 100s without alzenheimers or dementia so maybe I have hope. However, hubbies family not so good, his maternal grandmothers had alzenheimers or dementia and his mom is slipping so may have issues with him, and he knows it.

So far so good! I intend to age really well!! :'(
PatrioticStabilist

Postby sandlapper3 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:29 pm

Turn this question around-- I AM the "elderly "person prepping for the "youngerly"!!!!! :glare: Seems as if all the younger ones in our crowd have their heads "where the sun don't shine!" :blink:
Suggestions haven't worked---done about all I can do. Spent physically and financially. Only one helper (and she is physically not well). All I can say is I'd better not see girlfriends dragged up to my door!!!!!! I'm tired and ready to chew somebody out!!!!!!! : :angry: Not asking for advice,sympathy,or suggestions---just VENTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :caution:
sandlapper3
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:59 pm

I understand, I was checking out at the local Walmart the other day. I had 2 or 3 or more of everything. I told the checker, well stuff is raising so high so fast decided to stock up. Her response oh really? I mean where could you live and work, especially there and not see it. I would bet she was lucky to have 2 cans of food in her pantry. But then considering what Walmart pays that could be another reason, it was like she was in zombie land. Yes, I think it will be bad if the financial system or any systems get interrupted for a few weeks or months, so at this point all I'm worrying about is feeding us.

I told hubby last night when he called I want to partition the end of the basement beyond the stairwell for our canned goods, household paper and cleaning products and other things. He said he will. I don't think he will get it done quickly enough though to hide all I'm bringing up and what I plan to add to our stash. It will take care of the 3 of us and MIL, probably end up with her sister too, so now we are talking 5. Guess we will learn to eat lightly
PatrioticStabilist

Postby artwork5 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:03 am

I got on my parents - in their 90's - about prepping food and my father actually moved cans and made a fake impressive display in a cabinet over the laundry room door. Next time I went, it was gone, and one time in between, a sister checked and there was no food storage. We have taken to bringing goods, maybe two or three at a time and when they are not looking, add them in behind the goods on the pantry space they make look full. I think the only way to really prep elderly, including neighbors is to really encourage them and do what you can. I will sneak in some edibles in cans this time around and take a gallon or two containers and fill with water and put in garage. He thinks he has plenty of water - in the hot water tank. He can't even get down and back up anymore to drain water. This fierce "independant" attitude the elderly have is daunting. a
artwork5

Postby Rabid » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:28 am

Amenda wrote:I think we all need to think about providing some old age homes to our elders, as they really need some speciall facilities to live happy and comfortable at their stage of life. As some elderly homes projects are providing homes at some reasonable price with five star and luxries facilities for seniors. Also providing 24/7 nursing facility with out any extra charges with complete privacy.

It just dawned on me that If a SHTF situation occurs our elderly wouldn't fare well in a nursing home.
DAMMIT IM MAD spelled backwards is DAMMIT IM MAD
Rabid

Postby Lynda » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:47 am

Amenda wrote:I think we all need to think about providing some old age homes to our elders, as they really need some speciall facilities to live happy and comfortable at their stage of life. As some elderly homes projects are providing homes at some reasonable price with five star and luxries facilities for seniors. Also providing 24/7 nursing facility with out any extra charges with complete privacy.

Define elderly. I know some pretty active and vibrant seniors in my town who are fast approaching their eighties. BTW, assisted living facilities do not provide extended nursing care without paying an enormous amount of money.

Lynda

Return to General Virginia Discussions