• Advertisement

Hazmat for Children

Need Help with the forum? Ask a question here. Our moderators are here to help.

Hazmat for Children

Postby lsl8303 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:17 am

I've seen this discussion in a few boards but I haven't got the answer I'm looking for yet. I'm looking for suggestions of Hazmat suits that could potentially fit a younger child. I've already considered that baby being able to share one with Mom/Dad. Looking for enclosed air circulation as I just can't see my younger children being able to wear a gas mask and PPE without breaking seal and freaking out. I have two children who are immune compromised and something as simple as an uncontrolled Pandemic/Endemic viral outbreak is a huge concern for me. I've seen prices $2000-3000 (USD) for enclosed hazmat suits but that's just not realistic for my family. Any ideas would be appreciated.
lsl8303

Re: Hazmat for Children

Postby AuntBee » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:34 am

What ages are the kids? I am thinking you may need to figure out a more flexible system to allow for growth. I don't know if you'd be able to have one piece jumpsuit type clothing that kids wouldn't outgrow.

Aunt Bee
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Pedro wyoming » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:56 am

lsl8303,
A pandemic or even a local flu outbreak will not have much warning. By the time CDC makes an announcement, there will be many infected. What is your plan for continued isolation?

I do not think you will find an SCBA system for children. I have used one for adults and the pack was probably 20-30 lbs and it still required a face mask. The only thing that i could "McGuyver" would be an escape system using a scuba pony bottle and nonrebreather oxygen mask. This would be 5 minutes at best if the child was calm and would still require decontamination shower after exposure. A jump suit of Tyvek could be built using house wrap available from any contractor supply. Maybe even bought at homedepot or menards. This would be exceedingly hot even in temperate weather.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby SSPrep » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:08 pm

I am 5 feet tall and weigh 104 on a good day. I have PPE with hoods and feet that fit me. My company ordered for me. I know they are not that expensive.
SSPrep

Postby 295linda » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:38 pm

Respirators with hoods, Hazmat or NBC suits, rubber gloves + rubber boot covers are uncomfortable to wear in warm weather and will quickly over-heat a person -- been there, done that. If you are wearing one of those respirators with face shield and hood, this will seriously limit your field of vision and if you breathe through your mouth instead of your nose, the clear face shields or eye lenses quickly fog over making you temporarily blind. How often do small children have runny noses and have to breathe through their mouths? Imagine how scary it would be for a child to be suited-up and suddenly be unable to see. Would you be able to suit-up a scared child a second time after such an experience? If you are worried about protecting your children during a pandemic outbreak (what parent wouldn't worry?) you may be better off knowing how to do social distancing procedures to keep potential carriers from coming into contact with your children. You can find free info about social distancing at https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/ ... diness.pdf .
295linda

Postby Fyrediver » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:43 pm

Learn to sew and modify existing suits to fit them or purchase material and make your own; seal any seams with silicone seam sealer and you've got what you wanted. Tyvek for dry hazards, Tychem for wet hazards.

You'll not find commercial Hazmat suits for kids. This gear is designed for workers not kids and is rated and listed; it's a very expensive process. Same with SCBAs (and you'd need a compressor to refill the spare bottles every 30 minutes.) Kids aren't big enough to carry them anyways.

The enclosed suits you're referring to are Level A. Even a highly trained Hazmat firefighter only work in them for 30 minutes or so before having to be deconned and unsuited. Look at Level B or C which is more appropriate to what you are discussing. These operations aren't simply stand alone. There is a whole lot of stuff and people behind the person in the suit. IN a lab setting the workers are attached by a tether to an air supply system. Not the sort of thing you'd live in.

What are you concerned about? Them traveling around in public or them at home?

You can establish a decon corridor to pass through before entering your home. Keep the home as clean as possible and decon all entrants and materials coming into the structure. Filter air intakes and try to keep the house positive pressure compared to outside. Read about Hot, Warm, and Cold zones and see how you can modify your home to achieve the cold status (no hazard).

Consider PAPRs for air purification outside the Cold Zone. Powered Air Purifying Respirators are a filter type respirator but they use a pump to draw air through the cartridge and positive pressure the suit/mask/headgear. They don't require a seal since they positive pressure the hood/mask. Select the cartridge for the hazard. If you're worried about particulates then the 99 or 100 cartridges should be adequate. There are cartridges for various chemicals as well and some are "stacked" against multiple hazards.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” Charles Darwin
Fyrediver
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Postby Hiker72 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:41 am

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Anonymous

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure. - General Colin L. Powell
Hiker72
Ohio State Moderator
Ohio State Moderator

Return to Support