• Advertisement

Heat sensor

Talk about non-lethal self defense, personal safety, and home security.

Moderators: mmpaints, BATTLEBOY SURPLUS

Heat sensor

Postby PMBN » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:35 am

Any one know how to not be seen by a body heat sensor? Imy be usingte wrong name for this.
PMBN

Re: Heat sensor

Postby wolf36 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:14 am

I believe they did this experiment on Mythbusters, I think they used a CO2 fire extinguisher, the temp of the CO2 gas masked the body temp.
* Stay Calm and keep preppin' *
wolf36

Postby SurvivIt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:22 am

Alot depends on what you're doing, where you are, and how you want to go about it. Oh, how WELL you want to be masked is important, too.

Probably the most expedient is to jump into a thick sleeping bag. That will give you a couple minutes of relative anonymity.
SurvivIt

Postby condomain » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:27 am

Try wrapping yourself in a space blanket.

Maybe someone with a thermal rifle scope can do a test for us. $2000+ a pop, so I don't have one.
condomain

Postby getvicious » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:38 am

PMBN wrote:Any one know how to not be seen by a body heat sensor? Imy be usingte wrong name for this.

First, do you understand how a "heat sensor" (IR - Infrared) works? It is designed to "see" in the IR part of the spectrum and has a certain sensitivity so it can "see" differences in heat.

I got to play with the IIR Maverick Missile (AGM-65D) a bit while it was being developed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-65_Maverick
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_homing

The Maverick is TV guided so it produces a TV picture and can "lock on" to items in the picture based on a contrast difference from the other items in the picture. The IIR model uses differences in temperature rather than color brightness to see the contrast. The model I played with was sensitive to a .25 degree (1/4 degree) fahrenheit difference. That means if an items temperature was .25 degrees different (higher - warmer or lower - cooler) than what it was next to it could "see" it well enough to "lock on" and track it.

The sensitivity may be different but that is how IR surveillance systems that the Police or Military might have on a Helicopter or Aircraft to watch the world with using IR TV (IIR).

Since these systems see small differences in temperature they can see you if you are either warmer or cooler than things around you.

So, how can you hide from an IR system? Three general ways.

The first is very difficult. You make your body temperature EXACTLY the same as what is around you. Now if you are carrying something it must also be EXACTLY the same as you and the things around you. But even that might not protect you completely. Think of this scenario. You are laying on a waterbed set to body temperature. You are holding a gun in your hands. You will not be visible against the waterbed. The waterbed Will be visible against the rest of the room or background and the gun Will be visible against you and the waterbed.

The second way is much simpler. Get inside something solid (or behind something solid) that will block you from the view of the IR surveillance "thing" that's watching you. By the way, an IR camera can see thru lightweight things like window shades, curtains and clothing.

The third sounds easy but may not be since the IR system may well be able to move and follow your path. Get out of the viewing area.

So, how can you "not be seen by a body heat sensor?" IMHO, either get inside a building or behind something that blocks you from view, or get out of the viewing area.
It's not the blast that kills you, it's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby condomain » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:20 pm

What about pasting yourself with mud or does that only work if the enemy is non-human?
condomain

Postby bane5150 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Very thick tree cover or inside a building or hole in the ground. other than that they can see you.
Vincit Qui Patitur (He who endures conquers)
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” ― Charles Darwin

P!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
bane5150
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby Pedro wyoming » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:50 pm

condomain wrote:What about pasting yourself with mud or does that only work if the enemy is non-human?

No. Smearing mud on you may obscure your human form, but as the mud heats to your body temp, you will look mottled in the IR viewscope. Leave that to Rambo and Ahnohld.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby condomain » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:12 pm

I was just joking of course.
condomain

Postby getvicious » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:57 pm

condomain wrote:What about pasting yourself with mud or does that only work if the enemy is non-human?

HA! Yes :thumbup:
It's not the blast that kills you, it's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious

Postby AuntBee » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:33 pm

Found this link, which has some of the ideas suggested by other posters. Hope it helps.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7626906_cover-i ... ature.html
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby condomain » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:48 pm

Well, MILSPEC sensors might be much more sensitive. As getvicious said, a delta of .25 F can be detected.
condomain

Postby bane5150 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:21 pm

AuntBee wrote:Found this link, which has some of the ideas suggested by other posters. Hope it helps.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7626906_cover-i ... ature.html

Most of these ides are a total joke. especially the one that says cover yourself in twigs and leaves. Now you have a 98°F tree running around :rofl:
Im not busting on you aunt bee thanks for the link it was prety funny. :)
Vincit Qui Patitur (He who endures conquers)
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” ― Charles Darwin

P!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
bane5150
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Return to Personal Safety and Home Security