• Advertisement

New Discussion topic: Best advice for new preppers

Introductions and Forum Guide (sub-forums are unlocked)

Moderator: ReadyMom

New Discussion topic: Best advice for new preppers

Postby thesouthernpreppers » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:37 am

So our new topic will be the best advice for new preppers. Remember though, all you new preppers
that this will be an opinion based answer...so everything presented might not be the best for your
situation or setup. Ideas are never a bad thing though...so all you experienced preppers...if you knew
then what you know now when you started prepping what would you go back and tell yourself?

My personal answer...focus on sustainability first...I really wish in hindsight I would have gotten
my hydro setups up and going sooner...it would have freed more of my budget up for other stuff.
thesouthernpreppers
Alabama State Moderator
Alabama State Moderator

Re: New Discussion topic: Best advice for new preppers

Postby AreUSeeKay » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:52 am

IMHO, one does not HAVE to have it ALL today, work steadily and with-in budget, IMHO
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. ~Abraham Lincoln
The Nomadic Prepper ~ SFC, USA Retired
AreUSeeKay

Postby TimWhite » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:37 am

I like the sustainability aspect of prepping the best. you can put away all the food you want, but when it runs out if your not self sustainable then your just another refugee looking for a handout. Also Operational security is a biggie, don't run around telling everybody and their brother your a prepper. If you want friends and family on the bandwagon feel them out first, as far as how to do it just say something along the lines of have you seen that show about being prepared for emergencys and see how they answer. If its negatively then just go about your business. If its sorta kinda positive then mention you've been thinking about getting a few supplies in case of a bad storm or power outage, and just see where the topic leads.
"We can have no '50-50' allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

"Pride and arrogance are a lethal combination and have brought about the downfall of many powerful men". Charlie Daniels
TimWhite
Illinois Preppers Network
Illinois Preppers Network

Postby Lynda » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:41 am

Don't waste too much time trying to convince others to prep. They either will or they won't.
Stay calm and cool and don't buy into every single conspiracy theory out there. No point getting all riled up and paranoid.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby heli12 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:37 am

Prep your storage space even before you start to get preps, Have a plan, In the long run it's easier to be organized from the start rather than adjusting later!!!
heli12

Postby MouseToes » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:54 pm

AreUSeeKay wrote:IMHO, one does not HAVE to have it ALL today, work steadily and with-in budget, IMHO

THIS is excellent advice. You do have to work within your budget while still living day to day.

I started "stockpiling" food with coupons. I worked each weeks budget FROM my stores sales flyer and used smartsource internet coupon site and my newspaper to apply coupons. I let go of ANY brand loyalty. If Green Giant was my normal canned veg brand.......and Libby had 10 Green Bean cans for $10........I got the Libby. Built a nice stockpile in no time and used CVS and the Extra Care coupons to stockpile liquid dish soap, peanut butter, coffee and OTC meds.

After about 3 months I made a list of things I would need for canning and dehydrating and wanted a food saver machine to prevent freezer burn. So I priced from Amazon and by paychecks figured out from which check I could buy those items locally. Took 6 months to accumulate the mylar bags, oxy absorbers, canning jars, canners etc.. but we eventually got them.

Do not be afraid to START somewhere. I saved all Coffee Mate containers for example and put my rice in them - I did not wait until I could afford the 5 gallon buckets. I was storing RICE from sales. Same for water, I could not afford a 55 gallon water barrel so I stored water in my empty milk gallons.

Now I veg garden, grow and can my own and have several rain barrels and water purification methods for those. I am a dehydrating fool and love it.

You do NOT have to do it all. You CAN stockpile food from the grocery store with coupons and sales.

Space problems: Do NOT Let that stop you. Canned food slips under beds easily and does not have to be seen as well as toilet paper! In an apt? Milk crates stack and hold MANY cans, stack them to the ceiling and cover with a cloth.

Do NOT compare your preps to others preps. You may not WANT to veg garden, dehydrate, can..........you don't HAVE to. Do what is comfortable and doable for YOUR family.

Whatever you do........just keep prepping. Don't dwell on what you can NOT store/do.......focus on what YOU can do.
MouseToes
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby treefarmer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Prep within your means and abilities. I started with prepping dry foods stored in 5 gal. buckets placed in the basement approx. 5 yrs. ago. Now I could write a book about all the prepping I have done which would have to include the mistakes I've made. The best prep I have done and it continues today is writing down all and any useful information I can find into 1 book that fits into my bug out bag. Prepping is a life style not a fad. Make it fun otherwise it's work. :thumbsup:
treefarmer
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby intelarms » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:43 pm

1. Trust in Christ and not in yourself.
2. Prep knowledge. Buy books. Read 'em. Digest them and think before you act.
3. Do no try to buy a year's worth of wheat or peanut butter - or even a month's. Buy what you eat, then get a week's worth of what you eat (all the stuff, not just one item). Then get another week's and so on. Get a Sharpie and label everything (food) you buy with the month and date of purchase. Observe and learn from yourself.
Be safe.
Certified NRA Instructor
intelarms
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Postby AuntBee » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:12 pm

Start keeping an inventory right from the start.

Aunt Bee
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby broden » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:23 pm

don't forget water
broden

Postby thesouthernpreppers » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:42 am

All very excellent suggestions...that's we want an active and lively discussion. When we were doing our first
Southern Preppers event this year, I had so many emails asking about prepping by people that were afraid
to reach out to others about being preppers. The negative connotation of being a prepper (based on some
of the more extreme people and the labeling of every nutjob as a survivalist/prepper..sometimes crazy is
just crazy folks) was a hurdle. That's honestly why we tagged on the & Green Living Expo tag, to try and
bring in those that were on the fence a bit.
Like Intel said...knowledge is everywhere..read up as much as possible. I personally take a new
topic a week and try and find as much info as a I can on it. This week for me..thermal mass heaters...next
week I plan on looking more into the dehydration thing a bit more. Keep em coming guys and gals...I'm sure
all these suggestions will be helpful to someone. Prep on!
thesouthernpreppers
Alabama State Moderator
Alabama State Moderator

Postby Pedro wyoming » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:31 am

Prepping for an event or a life style? If you are concerned about a hurricane or blizzard, then stock up on stuff and forget about it...you just want a little peace of mind and a genset and MREs will give that.
:)
If you are concerned about longer reaching effects on your life...society...or civilisation in general then learn, learn, learn. Skills are more valuable than stuff. Building fire 6 different ways is more useful than a bucket full of bic lighters. Tuna in a can is only more convenient, not more useful than learning how to snare and prepare wild animals for food.

Knowing how to make soap, herbicides and explosives with a bucket of water and some salt may prove more useful than having suppliers for these things on speed dial.
:rofl:
For true skills test, work backward in time from the modern way to do a task...skin a deer with a buck knife? good to know...
learn how to make the knife...leaf springs and a forge from a BBQ grill!
:)
Next time skin it with a flint knife...and knap the flint!
:D
Watching a youtube video is a great start but only a start. Without lab the lecture is useless.

pW

ETA-if you are the smartest guy on the block, then you do not need an arsenal of tacticool stuff to protect yourself. Your neighbours will do that for you.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Return to New Members - Check In Here First