• Advertisement

Fish tank antibiotics?

First Aid, Health, & Medicine go here

Moderator: medic72

Fish tank antibiotics?

Postby Jewelsk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:41 pm

Most have Penicillin... What if I am allergic to that. What would be a good/ better solution for me? Are their any w/ out Pen. Which would be good for me?
Jewelsk

Re: Fish tank antibiotics?

Postby Prepared_InTexas » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:53 pm

This list of fish antibiotics came from Bloom and Doom's website. Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy have tons of terrific stuff on their site, so check them out. Here is their lists of different fish antibiotics, and some bird antibiotics. My son says all of these except the · Sulfamethoxazole 400mg/Trimethoprin 80mg (BIRD-SULFA) and the · Metronidazole 250mg (FISH-ZOLE) are in the same family as penicillin and will cause the same type reaction. My concern is, I have had a difficult time lately finding these. Amazon.com stopped selling them a while back, and now my local fish store doesn't have them either. I suspect they caught on to preppers buying them all? The website where this info is: http://www.doomandbloom.net/ Check them out!

Amoxicillin 250mg AND 500mg (FISH-MOX, FISH-MOX FORTE)

· Ciprofloxacin 250mg and 500mg(FISH-FLOX, FISH-FLOX FORTE)

· Cephalexin 250mg and 500mg (FISH-FLEX, FISH-FLEX FORTE)

· Metronidazole 250mg (FISH-ZOLE)

· Doxycycline 100mg (BIRD-BIOTIC)

· Ampicillin 250mg and 500mg (FISH-CILLIN, FISH-CILLIN FORTE)

· Sulfamethoxazole 400mg/Trimethoprin 80mg (BIRD-SULFA)
Prepared_InTexas
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Jewelsk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:53 pm

Thank you so much! :)
Jewelsk

Postby DrBones » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi PreparedinTexas,
Sulfa, metronidazole,ciprofloxacin, tetracycline and doxycycline are indicated for use in persons with a PCN allergy. The exact medication utilized would depend on the condition. All allergies should be communicated to your physician or nurse practitioner.

So the list has 3 meds that can cause PCN allergic reactions: amoxicillin, cephalexin(keflex), and ampicillin.

Thanks for the link to our site. I hope everyone stocks up for their fish's future!!
Nurse Amy
DrBones
Medical Professional
Medical Professional

Postby Prepared_InTexas » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks for the info, Nurse Amy! It's good to know there is something else those with PCN allergies can use!
Prepared_InTexas
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby swami24 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:28 am

Does anyone know anything about the powder antibiotics? http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/index.ph ... otics.html - I noticed that there are no pills of erythromycin, but there is a powder form. How do you know the right dosage to give if it is in powder form?
swami24

Postby Prepared_InTexas » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:24 am

That is a question beyond my skill to answer, and best posed to Nurse Amy or Doc Bones...I would try sending Nurse Amy a PM off of her earlier reply. (She uses the name "bones" here.)
Prepared_InTexas
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Prepared_InTexas » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:25 am

Pill dosages are pretty straight-forward, 250 mg for 250 mgs, but I don't know anything about the powders. Thanks for bringing up an excellent question!
Prepared_InTexas
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby swami24 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:51 pm

thanks for the help
swami24

Postby buckeyeprepper01 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 am

EACH SCOOP (0.5 Gram) CONTAINS: ERYTHROMYCIN PHOSPHATE.....500 MG

I seen this, maybe that will give a general amount?
buckeyeprepper01
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby DrBones » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:05 am

I would get the Fish Mycin which is in pill form, easier to dose.

Thanks,
Nurse Amy
DrBones
Medical Professional
Medical Professional

Postby sweetprepper » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:45 am

Hi all. In the last few weeks, including this evening, I've been able to get all my fish meds from VetDepot.com and at good prices (no, I have no association with them, just want to share info with smart preppers). I first bought Fish-Mox after reading Bloom and Doom (thank you Nurse Amy and Dr. Bones) and I was thrilled at having it in my prep stocks. Then I remembered it's a type of penicillin and I'm allergic. My husband can take it so it's not wasted. So tonight I went back and I bought CIPRO (Fish-Flox) and Clindamycin (Fish-Cin) at the same website. They have all of the Fish-XXX meds.

Clindamycin upsets my stomach so be careful - if you're allergic to penicillin and have tummy troubles I'd go with CIPRO over Clindamycin. I'd once been given CIPRO for sinus infection and once for an infection of the skin after surgery. I was told to take 500 mg twice a day for 10 days for the sinus infection but longer for the skin infection which got so bad it permanently changed the color of my skin. Scary.

Now if we could only get Azithromycin (z-pak) or another Macrolide w/o a prescription we'd all be happy.

~ ~ ~

I also found the following info online regarding CIPRO and Clindamycin.
Would love Nurse Amy's input on this if she's reading it.

Ciprofloxacin or CIPRO (Fish Flox)
Type of antibiotic: Quinolones

Effective for most types of infections except intraabdominal sepsis and gangrene.
Works against gram-negative and some gram-positive pathogens.

Dosage depends greatly on infection. Can be 250, 500, or 750 mg taken every 12 hours (twice a day). The usual duration is 7 to 14 days; however, for severe and complicated infections more prolonged therapy may be required. For example inhalation of anthrax should be 500 mg twice a day for 60 days.

DO NOT TAKE WITH ASPRIN or OMEPRAZOLE.

Ciprofloxacin should be administered at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after magnesium/aluminum antacids, polymeric phosphate binders (for example, sevelamer, lanthanum carbonate) or sucralfate, Videx® (didanosine) chewable/buffered tablets or pediatric powder for oral solution, other highly buffered drugs, or other products containing calcium, iron or zinc.

~ ~ ~

Clindamycin (Fish Cin)
Type of antibiotic: Lincomycin

Do not take Clindamycin together with Erythromycin, Clarithromycin, Azithromycin (z-pak), or other Macrolide antibiotics.

Clindamycin (Cleocin) is used to treat serious infections caused by bacteria.
Typical adult dose: 300 mg 4 times a day for one week.
Take this medicine with a full glass of water to keep it from irritating your throat.
Also good for dental infections, soft tissue & skin infections.
Effective against both gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria.

Before using clindamycin, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, liver disease, an intestinal disorder such as colitis or Crohn's disease, or a history of asthma, eczema, or allergic skin reaction.

If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are using clindamycin. You may need to stop using the medicine for a short time.

Take clindamycin for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may get better before the infection is completely cleared.

Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or bloody, stop taking clindamycin and call your doctor. Do not use anti-diarrhea medicine unless your doctor tells you to.
sweetprepper

Postby sweetprepper » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:54 am

PS) You can get Azithromycin (z-pak) generic online but at about $90 for one pack. Ahh!! Expensive!! But I did recently use one I got online (250 per pill) for infected and swollen salivary glands (so bad it hurt to move my head) and I was like new in less than a week. It worked fast. It was the first time I used mail order antibiotics so I was anxious about it. I spent the money even though I have health insurance because I would have had to spend $35 for my appointment co-pay, $30 for the Rx co-pay, and wait at leat 2 hours in the doctor's office. To me it was worth the extra money to not have to wait in the office feeling like crap (I had the meds over nighted to me by mail). Thankfully I could afford it right now, but maybe not in the future, and keeping this in stock for later use would be extremely expensive. Anyone know where to get Azithromycin (z-pak) cheaper than $90.00 per pack?
sweetprepper

Postby Godstopper » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:18 am

http://shtfantibiotics.com/

I highly recommend this website.
They have packages that seem to be based off This Armageddon medicine Doctors article.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/02/seven_antibiotics_to_stockpile.html
Godstopper

Postby Godstopper » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:25 am

sweetprepper wrote:PS) You can get Azithromycin (z-pak) generic online but at about $90 for one pack. Ahh!! Expensive!! But I did recently use one I got online (250 per pill) for infected and swollen salivary glands (so bad it hurt to move my head) and I was like new in less than a week. It worked fast. It was the first time I used mail order antibiotics so I was anxious about it. I spent the money even though I have health insurance because I would have had to spend $35 for my appointment co-pay, $30 for the Rx co-pay, and wait at leat 2 hours in the doctor's office. To me it was worth the extra money to not have to wait in the office feeling like crap (I had the meds over nighted to me by mail). Thankfully I could afford it right now, but maybe not in the future, and keeping this in stock for later use would be extremely expensive. Anyone know where to get Azithromycin (z-pak) cheaper than $90.00 per pack?

http://www.shtfantibiotics.com/erythromycin.html

If you do the math on this one 50grams is 50,000 mg of erythromycin so that means your looking at 200, 250mg doses or 100 500mg doses.
Godstopper

Next

Return to First Aid & Medicine