• Advertisement

Hello!

Welcome to the forum! Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: ReadyMom, mmpaints

Hello!

Postby lovie_5 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:04 pm

Hello to eveyone! I am lovie (that is the name my grandchildren call me) I am married, mother of 3 adult children and grandmother to 5 young ones. I have always had an interest in prepping but it is only in the last several months that I have gotten serious about it. Right now, I am scared out of my mind after reading "One Second After" the fictionalized account of life after an EMP. I and my daughter are really prepping in earnest now. Unfortunately, my husband doesn't seem to take it seriously. Any advice on this? I am looking forward to learning everything I can here on this site.
lovie_5

Re: Hello!

Postby gman » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:19 pm

Glad to have you here from Idaho. Just keep prepping. Sure eventually he will get interested in what you are doing, then get hooked himself. Until then enjoy the forum. There is a lot of good people here. May I ask what state your from? Please be sure to ask if you have any questions
Information Station"American Preppers Radio"http://prepperbroadcasting.com/
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here
gman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Alaska Rose » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:52 pm

Welcome from Alaska. Hope you find the information you need, here, there is lots of it.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Jenny » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:05 am

Welcome, Lovie!

As for your husband, my advice is to take it slow. Give him time to come around, don't push him. I found that the more I tried to convince my husband that I was being sensible, the more stubborn and contrary he got. Also, talk about your preparation in positive rather than negative terms. Guys don't (generally) handle emotions well. When we women talk about our feelings, they "hear" us telling them about problems -- things they ought to fix. My husband was quite "negative" when I talked to him about my preparations. Only later did I realize he wasn't really being negative. He just wanted to calm me down, since he thought the real problem was my worrying about disasters.

I've started being more positive. Boasting about my preparation. Telling him how confident and happy prepping makes me. Once I did that, his opposition almost vanished. Suddenly my prepping wasn't "worrying", it wasn't a problem he had to "fix." It was... a project. A hobby of mine. One he may not fully understand, but one that doesn't bother him. That I can live with!

I hope that some day he'll share my enthusiasm, but until then things are fine.
Jenny
Oregon Preppers Network
Oregon Preppers Network

Postby Who is John Gall » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:05 am

Hello, Lovie, and welcome from Louisiana.

Look around here at some of the other forums, and you will see that you are not alone. There are a couple of other threads about people in the same straights as you, with regards to your significant other. It can be tricky. I got my SO a bit more on board by getting her to watch the movie "After Armageddon." I down loaded it from iTunes, but I think that you can also find it on YouTube. Right after we finished watching it I gave her a BOB that I had put together for her, and she seems to be more on board ever since then. I still do most of the prepping, but she does not complain about it and even agrees with a good bit of what I want to do (yippee!!!).

You might try and get him on board with economics: it is cheaper to buy in bulk and to buy when it is on sale than to buy a bit here and there. So, if you end up with 3 months of canned veggies...so what? You were going to buy them anyway, huh, and now you saved money doing it. You could also approach it as a hobby and strike him where he is weakest...what he likes. Does he like to work with his hands? Get him to think about putting together enough supplies and tools to repair your roof, should it get blown off in a wind storm. Or you can challenge him to build you a solar generator (I want to do that myself). Try and guide him to guns a bit...guns and ammo are great preps.

Good luck.
Who is John Gall

Postby itsadisaster » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:41 am

Greetings from 'zona Lovie .. and welcome to APN! As everyone mentioned .. tons of great data here to absorb. Try not to get overwhelmed and just take it one step and one day at a time. :) itsa
Be Aware... Be Prepared... and Have a Plan! Download a free 58-pg ebook portion of IT'S A DISASTER! ...and what are YOU gonna do about it? with tips about hurricanes, floods, evacuations, wildfires, kits + more
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Postby MrDanB » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:55 am

Welcome to the board from Washington state! Gentle persuasion with your husband is the best way to go! Being a little sneaky now and then with prepping isn't bad either :)
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby roolu » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:11 am

welcome from Indiana!
Fear profits no man - The 13th Warrior
ImageImage
roolu
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby mmpaints » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:31 pm

welcome aboard
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby lovie_5 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:18 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys! I live in TN. I have talked the MOTH (man of the house) into reading "One Second After). Tonight at dinner I asked him now that he is reading it, does he think differently about cars? :) He said he did-sure wished he had his old VWBeetle. I think it has him thinking about stuff anyway.
lovie_5

Postby Alaska Rose » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:41 am

Good start, you will do it.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Return to Introduce Yourself