• Advertisement

And another one from Massachusetts

Welcome to the forum! Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: ReadyMom, mmpaints

And another one from Massachusetts

Postby helwen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi all,

Apparently I was only sort of a member, so today I fixed that. *waves*

I live on my MIL's farm with my husband and we help out here. Life has been way too hectic the past few years, dealing with health issues and death in the family, but we're still trying. Don't expect to hear much from me, as a result....

Gardener, spinner, weaver, artist. Extremely indifferent canner. Getting into hiking.
helwen

Re: And another one from Massachusetts

Postby gman » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:59 pm

Glad to see you here from Idaho helwen. Sorry to here of issues your dealing with and will pray all goes well. Looking forward to seeing you here when we can. Be sure to ask if you have any questions.
Information Station"American Preppers Radio"http://prepperbroadcasting.com/
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here
gman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby cityhomesteader » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:28 pm

helwen wrote:Hi all,

Apparently I was only sort of a member, so today I fixed that. *waves*

I live on my MIL's farm with my husband and we help out here. Life has been way too hectic the past few years, dealing with health issues and death in the family, but we're still trying. Don't expect to hear much from me, as a result....

Gardener, spinner, weaver, artist. Extremely indifferent canner. Getting into hiking.

Welcome to the forums.. Did you say hiker?!!! :clap:

We are into hiking and foraging here in the Smith household.. Our latest venture is mushrooming.
If the farm a working farm? I take it you do wool or fiber? Hope to hear more about your ventures..

Cityhomesteader here in Connecticut!
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader
Connecticut State Moderator
Connecticut State Moderator

Postby helwen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, we started hiking on Labor Day. I've gone on day hikes before, but that was my first time with a full backpack. We learned a few things, had a good time in spite of a bit of rain as we were setting up camp for the night, and I now have better footgear. Actually, my shoes were pretty good, but ankle support was lacking and I'm enjoying breaking in the boots around the farm.

Yes, the farm is a working farm -- mostly hay, but also maple syrup, and some chickens (for eggs).

I don't raise sheep, but am appreciative of all the folks who do. There are quite a few farms up here in the hilltowns, so no need to do it all ourselves. I spin mostly wool, but have played with silk, a little flax, bamboo, etc. Haven't woven with any of my handspun yet, but someday.... you need a _lot_ of yarn before you can weave anything substantial! But some of it will be knitted this winter I think. This past summer I was just trying to spin a lot of it so it would take up less space! Although in whatever form, wool is a great insulator for your living space :D

Do you spin? I'd like to do some foraging, but I've been slow on plant identification -- well, edibles anyway. I've id'ed some of the medicinals here, and boy if I ever need to keep the ants out of somewhere, I know where a few places to find a ton of tansy.

L and I are also taking kung fu -- mostly for fitness but the self-defense classes are good too. First thing I've done in years that really made me want to exercise and stretch outside of class; changing the diet too.

Seems like there's a million things that we need to get done before I'll feel "ready" -- have to keep focusing on the fact that we are in fact getting _some_ things done!
helwen

Postby mmpaints » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:34 pm

welcome aboard
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby mr bill » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:15 pm

Welcome from NE Georgia.
Leader zone 5, Clarke County
P!
mr bill

Postby HighDesertHawk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:18 pm

Welcome to the group.
Knowledge is preparation.
Best equipment does no good unless you know how to use it.
http://www.roberthicks.shelfreliance.com Thrive Freeze dried food page.
http://www.youtube.com/user/survivalweb?feature=mhum
HighDesertHawk
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Lynda » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:41 am

Welcome, fellow Massachusetts resident. I'm here in the Brookfields in the woods.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby Ironfire182 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:51 pm

Hello! Always nice to see another MA Resident. There are too few of us.
Ironfire182

Return to Introduce Yourself