• Advertisement

A California City Mandates Solar for New Homes

Discussions of Solar Energy

Moderator: watcher

A California City Mandates Solar for New Homes

Postby myheirloomseeds » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:17 am

I love this mandate. I personally believe that it has a tremendous about benefit for those who use and love Renewable Energy. It would be nice if there was some type of mandate for local installers and producers of the equipment that will be necessary to implement this concept.

Here is the link: http://www.geek.com/science/california- ... s-1552633/

Troy
15,000 Heirloom Seeds one low price: http://www.myheirloomseeds.com
myheirloomseeds

Re: A California City Mandates Solar for New Homes

Postby Jardude » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:19 am

Sounds like something only a Californian could get behind.

If it was so great it wouldn't need to be mandated.
Jardude

Postby RoninAmok » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:35 am

myheirloomseeds wrote:I love this mandate. I personally believe that it has a tremendous about benefit for those who use and love Renewable Energy. It would be nice if there was some type of mandate for local installers and producers of the equipment that will be necessary to implement this concept.

Troy

You love a mandate that abrogates an individuals choice and brings forth yet another law with the potential for abuse?
RoninAmok

Postby myheirloomseeds » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:44 am

RoninAmok wrote:
myheirloomseeds wrote:I love this mandate. I personally believe that it has a tremendous about benefit for those who use and love Renewable Energy. It would be nice if there was some type of mandate for local installers and producers of the equipment that will be necessary to implement this concept.

Troy

You love a mandate that abrogates an individuals choice and brings forth yet another law with the potential for abuse?

Yes, I do. This mandate only effects NEW home owners that are building NEW Homes and who make a conscience decision to live in that city. Previous residents aren't effected. So if one chooses to BUILD A NEW HOME there they understand that their NEW home has to incorporate solar. If not, they have the right (of course) to BUILD their NEW home elsewhere.
myheirloomseeds

Postby Gunns » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:49 am

myheirloomseeds wrote:
RoninAmok wrote:

Troy

Yes, I do. This mandate only effects NEW home owners that are building NEW Homes and who make a conscience decision to live in that city. Previous residents aren't effected. So if one chooses to BUILD A NEW HOME there they understand that their NEW home has to incorporate solar. If not, they have the right (of course) to BUILD their NEW home elsewhere.

Booooooooo. Talk about draconian. Just because you are in love with solar doesn't mean it must be forced on someone. If they don't like it they can live someplace else?

Don't call me a sheep or sheep dog or a wolf. I am Tiger and eat all three.
Gunns
Minnesota Preppers Network

Postby myheirloomseeds » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:54 am

Gunns wrote:Booooooooo. Talk about draconian. Just because you are in love with solar doesn't mean it must be forced on someone. If they don't like it they can live someplace else?

Yep..hurrray. That's basically what the mandate states. This isn't anything new. Zoning regulations are enacted all the time by City Officials. Don't like it? Then build elsewhere baby! or Get involved with City Council. Either way do something!
myheirloomseeds

Postby RoninAmok » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:15 am

myheirloomseeds wrote:
RoninAmok wrote:[

So in other words you'd FORCE people into doing what YOU view as " right and correct" , thanks for clarifying that.

Don't snivel when the powers that be or some individual with a personal opinion forces you into something you may not want.
RoninAmok

Postby RoninAmok » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:16 am

myheirloomseeds wrote:
Gunns wrote:B

Yep..hurrray. That's basically what the mandate states. This isn't anything new. Zoning regulations are enacted all the time by City Officials. Don't like it? Then build elsewhere baby! or Get involved with City Council. Either way do something!

Nice fascist attitude there.
RoninAmok

Postby Everyman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:28 am

myheirloomseeds wrote:
Gunns wrote:Booooooooo. Talk about draconian. Just because you are in love with solar doesn't mean it must be forced on someone. If they don't like it they can live someplace else?

Good for Lancaster. I’ve often said that it is unbelievable that the roofs of every house in the southern states aren’t covered with solar panels. They would at least produce enough energy to make that one home independent. But independence is the problem and the reason this resource is undeveloped is simple: The corporate whores in our government kow-tow to the oil-gas-coal lobbyists and resist any incentives to develop solar energy because it threatens their profits and the public’s dependence on them. The only way to effect any change is to get local and state government to ignore Washington, DC and act on their own. It’s happening everywhere, and will increase; just look at what states are doing to protect the second amendment rights of their citizens.

As far as fairness is concerned, when you build a new house in most areas you have to pay an impact fee to hook up to the sewer system because it will need increased capacity when your house uses it. The same is true with water, fire, trash, highway, police etc services and utilities….why not power?…Especially since once it is installed it will not cost anything but will make/save money. Another great feature is that the homes will include the system in the sale/finance price so the owner doesn’t have to finance it separately.

If you want to get around the whores in Washington DC this is the only way to do it.
You are free to use or republish anything I have written here provided that your intent is to freely disseminate information that will help people. Attributions to Everyman appreciated.

From the most famous of the Medieval Morality Plays: And sayth one of the Virtues “Everyman I will go with thee to meet thy fate, I will attend thee when there is want; I am the Virtue of Knowledge.”

If voting worked it would be illegal.
Everyman
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:02 am

I like solar, but it is not cost effective, totally dependable or maintenance free. In the future we will also face what to do with millions of tons of outdated plastic junk, dead batteries, and related junk. Is anyone thinking about these issues. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Northern Freeman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:03 pm

If you want to get around the whores in Washington DC this is the only way to do it.

You can be sure if its a mandate it is because more whores in the Administration are going to profit from it.
Northern Freeman

Postby Everyman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:17 pm

daaswampman wrote:I like solar, but it is not cost effective, totally dependable or maintenance free. In the future we will also face what to do with millions of tons of outdated plastic junk, dead batteries, and related junk. Is anyone thinking about these issues. Swamp

A lot of thought and analysis has been given to these points:

Solar panels are very cost effective in lower latitudes; even profitable.
They are very dependable and require virtually no maintenance.
Grid tie systems do not use batteries.
There is very little plastic in a solar panel. They are mostly aluminum and silicon (glass)…both of which are recyclable. A 250 watt panel only weighs about 40 lbs. so there isn’t much physical material in one to begin with.
Panels typically have a 25 year guaranteed minimum service life.
You are free to use or republish anything I have written here provided that your intent is to freely disseminate information that will help people. Attributions to Everyman appreciated.

From the most famous of the Medieval Morality Plays: And sayth one of the Virtues “Everyman I will go with thee to meet thy fate, I will attend thee when there is want; I am the Virtue of Knowledge.”

Everyman
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Tell you what. When the manufacturing of solar cells use less fossil fuel to make them, then they would save over their lifetime, I will buy into it. Until then a mix of fuels is more practical.

Don't call me a sheep or sheep dog or a wolf. I am Tiger and eat all three.
Gunns

Postby Everyman » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:33 pm

Gunns wrote:Tell you what. When the manufacturing of solar cells use less fossil fuel to make them, then they would save over their lifetime, I will buy into it. Until then a mix of fuels is more practical.

Gunns,
Solar panels passed that criteria years ago.
Here an example:

If you paid $0.60 a watt for a solar panel you would need 1000 watts to make 1 Kilowatt. The panels to do that would cost $ 600.00. Now here in Florida I get an average of 5 hours of full sun per day so I would generate 5 kilowatt hours of juice that I would push back into the grid for credit.

I pay $0.15 per kilowatt hour, so each day those panels would earn $ 0.75… not much, and it will take $600.00/$ 0.75= 800 days (2 years and 3 months) to pay for the 1 kilowatt worth of panels. But after that I will get over 22 years (base on a 25 year life) of power credited to me. $ 0.75 x 365 x 22 = $6,022.00.

That’s in today’s prices for power and for just a 1 kilowatt system. Now if you put in a 10 kilowatt system that produced enough annually to meet you home’s demand it would cost $ 6000.00 up front and I would never see an electric bill because it would earn me $60,000.

That’s $ 60,000 tax free, inflation adjusted (electric rates will only go up) dollars. About $ 3,000 per year.

There are no tax free municipal bonds that can beat that.

The installed cost will be probably double what I quote (include labor, inverter, mounting hardware) which would double the initial investment payoff period; so you’d only get 20 years of return. But the State of Florida frequently has grants for $ 12,000 for homeowners to install a minimum of a 5 kilowatt system.

Everyman
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby anita » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Solar panels may be feasible in the southern states, but, as someone with a huge solar array in my back yard that cost a LOT of money and saves me maybe $300 bucks/month for a third of the year, I can tell you they are not economically feasible for much of the country.

If they were, the government wouldn't have to trump up some artificial credit system along with all sorts of tax benefits to get people to install them.
anita

Next

Return to Solar