• Advertisement

Tandem Bike as a BOV

Posts about Human Powered Vehicles (HPV's) and devices

Moderator: watcher

Tandem Bike as a BOV

Postby pelenaka » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:23 pm

I bike, it's my car so to speak. I use my bike to go grocery shopping & for errands, to see my mom, and for pleasure. I eventually wish to get into touring & camp biking.
When we finally get our piece of raw land we should be able to bike to it.

Here's the rub - hubby has major bilateral knee issues. We can't talk medical intervention right now due to insurance. There even maybe no fix.
So it could be said that I'm the stronger biker of the two of us.

I'm thinking that if we rode a tandem I compensate for hubby, we could balance we other out.

Anyone here who tours/bike camps ?
Any thoughts pro or con ?
pelenaka
New York Preppers Network

Re: Tandem Bike as a BOV

Postby craftyone » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:31 am

From what I understand about tandem biking (which is not much, I assure you!) both bikers have to pedal at about the same rate. With your hubby's knee issues, I would imagine pedaling anything would be torture, let alone pedaling at the rate you are used to. I don't think tandem biking would work for you. :( You could always get a bike trailer he could sit in, if you could find one large enough with the proper weight rating.
Are you getting all this, NSA, or should I send you a .pdf?

:x :angry: :cursing:
craftyone
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby kilroyjc » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:58 am

FWIW:

I rented a beach house with friends for several years. There was a local couple who we'd see every day (weather permitting) out on their tandem. They would cover at least 20 miles a day.

Her leg was amputated above the knee.
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury refilled, public debt reduced, the arrogance of officialdom tempered, and assistance to foreign lands curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

Cicero 55 BC
kilroyjc
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Brancelot » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:47 am

Cycling is what I live and breathe.
I shed two cars to force me to ride everywhere, every single day. Wifey still has hers to haul the baby around, but I rarely drive it to work (unless I've overslept or have to go to the doctor's).
I commute, run errands, race, train on my bikes. There's no such thing as bad cycling weather, just bad cycling clothing :)

Anyway, to your point, I think that considering your husband's knee issues, the only way that he could contribute to a tandem ride would be to buy clipless pedals (SPD by Shimano, for ex) and pdeal with only one leg, his good one. He could then push/pull and do a bit of help while his bad leg is resting on the frame or a peg. Other than that, he might not be much help if he isn't able to help power the rig. I'm thinking about designs in my head as a write.....picture a crankset, with the pedal on the side of his bad leg removed, and a BMX style peg atttached. His good leg could help, while his bad leg rests.

As for the trailer idea, check out the Surly Bill. I love mine. Build him a proper chair for it.
Brancelot

Postby pelenaka » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks everyone for the comments. Both his knees are bad but one of course more so than the other. Lately we have noticed that is range of motion is decreasing, which I believe to be because he isn't using it fully as in pedaling a bike. Last year he rode around the hood with me on & off and did really well (flat city streets for the most part).
I will look into those pedals may be a good idea for us both.

Last month we were @ a bike shop that had a Surly Dummy on display hoisted up on a bike holder thingy that one uses to fix a bike. Can ya tell I only ride a cruiser ? Anyways a sweet bike love those wide tires.

@ another shop I test rode a Trek Nav 3.0 16" which was nice. Hubby wouldn't get on a tandem with me. It's not that he doesn't get the concept of needing a BOV or that this is the wrong BOV for us he just isn't a bicyclist ...yet.

I'll check out the surly trailer I have been researching the bob trailer. I think a inline trailer would be best.

Can u recommend a site with a vocabulary list. I am soo unfamiliar with the new terms in reguarded to cargo & touring bikes.

What's your opinion on buying used ?

~~ pelenaka ~~
pelenaka

Postby WyoDutch » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:55 pm

I'm waiting for the thread.. "Ruby slippers as a BOV?"
:eek:
You know times are bad in America when GW Bush's presidency starts looking good..
WyoDutch
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby mycomama » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Tandem? Really? Well I guess if you guys have lots of bike exp. fine but my feeling on tandem bikes was that it was a great way to get into a fight with someone :).
mycomama
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby pelenaka » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:13 pm

Lol @ mycomama, no we don't of the two of us I bike almost everyday since I don't have a car.

Hubby & I get along extremely well considering his country & I'm urban, he's dutch/scott & I 'm Puerto Rican Irish.
Besides there's always ear buds.
pelenaka

Postby pelenaka » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:16 pm

WyoDutch wrote:I'm waiting for the thread.. "Ruby slippers as a BOV?"
:eek:

Dutch, don't hold back tell me how you really feel please.

~~ pelenaka ~~
in the wilds of Buffalo ... New York that is.
pelenaka

Postby mycomama » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:45 pm

pelenaka wrote:Lol @ mycomama, no we don't of the two of us I bike almost everyday since I don't have a car.

Hubby & I get along extremely well considering his country & I'm urban, he's dutch/scott & I 'm Puerto Rican Irish.
Besides there's always ear buds.

It's not that really .....Well let me ask you this : Have you guys ever rode a tandem before? I have ...it's NOT easy. It takes a lot of practice.
Sure it's fine for just goofing around but the idea of using it as a BOV is wellllll..... laughable. :shakeyes:
If you get on one sometime you'll see how unrealistic it might be. They are very stiff and wouldn't do you any good on any but the flat as a pancake, pencil strait, super smooth roads.
mycomama
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby pelenaka » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:44 pm

I grew up riding a Schwinn tandem in the suburbs.

It can be done just remains to be seen if it can be done by us.

~~ pelenaka ~~
pelenaka

Postby HandLoad » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:03 pm

I have a "Mountain Tandem" - Wife has had one Knee Replaced, and will be having the other done soon. We ride the Tandem. It helps her exercise, and she gets to ride with me. Mountain Tandems have Fatter Tires, and lower gear ratios. When our Daughter was little, we towed a Burley Trailer, Often showing up at Shopping centers, and packing all our Groceries. Stopped Traffic sometimes. Vehicle length gets nearly as long as many cars!

One thing you may run into - the Physics of the arrangement dictate that the heavier rider be Captain. If you are greatly different in weight, and he is Heavier, then You will have MUCH more trouble controlling the Bike. If he doesn't Pedal at all, You're gonna be going slow anytime you face Uphill or headwinds, but it is still doable - just you gotta be the "little engine that could".

Maybe you should look into the Bicycle Style Surreys. Side-By-Side Seating, and he could still help with the pedaling, and you would not have all the Balancing and Starting Problems You would have with the Tandem arrangement. Not as efficient a Vehicle though, and No good off-road, or in rough country.
HandLoad

Postby pelenaka » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Thank you for the reply.
Since I posted this thread allot has changed.
He's unemployed and of course now that he isn't pounding the cement floor all day his pain has decreased along with a a few of the symptoms.
However it's still an issue.

We had actually looked into one of those bike cars about 5 years ago. @ that time all three of my teens & pre-teenagers were @ home.
Even the daughter who bikes everywhere threatened to run away. SOO NOT COOL MOM!
All that aside, while we agreed that it would be a good fit for us here in the city it wouldn't be the all purpose BOV we are looking for.
There are instances where riding in a single file line would be vital as well as going off road.

This Summer we are checking out Alfred State for the daughter who bikes. While there we will be making a visit a bike shop known for it's recumbent tandems. I've been told they also stock electric assist motors.
If having such a device enables hubby to bike then we may just go with each of us riding a bike his the motor.
I've been following a bike blog - Petal Powered Family.They started in Canada and are now in Mexico, pulling a trailer, two children, & gear.
The Mom had a groin injury that she has been able to work past with the help of an electric motor.

In my heart through I still have a soft spot for us riding/touring on a tandem. What brand of tandem do you ride? Can you recommend any blogs ?
pelenaka

Postby HandLoad » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:53 pm

The Mountain Tandem is a Rodriguez, HandBuilt in Seattle in 1994. Brushed Aluminum FatTubes. Softer (but more whippy) ride than The Santanas. I have Radical Offroad Tires and Gearing set up for Off-Road use, but also have a set of More Road-Worthy Smooth and Relatively High Pressure (75 psi) Wheels and Gearing for Road Work. Full set of panniers and So On. Bar Ends, Clip On Pedals (Shimano), Light arrays, Bunches of Money spent on Bells and Whistles. 24 Speeds (Though some are prohibited) - really only use about 20 of them on Road, only 18 of them Off-Road. Since we are both approaching 60, we are not riding as much as we used to. May just mount it on the Wall - It is so pretty! Sold our Geminiani Tandem. Will never sell the Rod.

Sorry, No Blogs to suggest.
HandLoad

Postby pelenaka » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Oh about 90% of what you wrote went over my head ... but the sentiment I got.
pelenaka

Return to Human Power