• Advertisement

Wind up radios and flashlights

Posts about Human Powered Vehicles (HPV's) and devices

Moderator: watcher

Wind up radios and flashlights

Postby Photon Guy » Wed May 07, 2014 11:31 pm

I've seen in some of the outdoor "prep" stores such as Cabela's, to name one of my favorite places, they sell these radios and flashlights that can be winded up or cranked in order to charge them in addition to running on batteries. I want to get one, it looks like it would come in really handy in a SHTF event, especially if your batteries run out.
Photon Guy

Re: Wind up radios and flashlights

Postby anita » Thu May 08, 2014 8:07 am

I have a Goal Zero lantern that has the crank to allow you to power it by hand. It's not the way I'd choose to power it, but in a pinch it gives me some light if the batteries run out and I don't have more.

It provides a lot of light, too.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby RayMac1963 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:02 am

What Anita said...
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Thu May 08, 2014 9:13 am

anita wrote:I have a Goal Zero lantern that has the crank to allow you to power it by hand. It's not the way I'd choose to power it, but in a pinch it gives me some light if the batteries run out and I don't have more.

It provides a lot of light, too.

If you crank it you will save batteries, so I would rather crank it most of the time instead of using up batteries.
Photon Guy

Postby daaswampman » Thu May 08, 2014 9:57 am

Does anyone know of a quality wind up radio that will work independently of the battery? The one I have and those I have seen, do not work if the battery completely fails. All batteries will eventually fail and it would be nice to have a radio, even if I had to crank it. I have a really old radio that appears to be foreign military, that works with just a slow turn on the crank. It is very cool, but old as hell and weights about thirty pounds. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:10 am

Swamp, I think they all have to have a battery of some sort.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963

Postby ARDon » Thu May 08, 2014 10:19 am

I have the Voyager Emergency Radio (KA500) & the hand crank flash lights are great tool also. I know on the survival radio I have cranking the radio for a minute will give you 20 minutes of playtime, depending on the volume level too. You can use this crank radio to listen to conventional AM/FM radio stations and get access to all seven NOAA channels. There is even a shortwave radio option, which can be used to listen to local stations around your area. This radio will also charge a variety of mobile devices. There is a cable included that has a variety of connection tips for various phone models. I'm happy with the purchase of the radio.
ARDon

Postby Denver Terry » Thu May 08, 2014 7:48 pm

I have a Sangean wind up radio that I picked up pre-Y2K. It's about the size of a football, has AM/FM/Weather tuning, has the wind up dynamo that when fully wound runs the radio for about 90 minutes. It also has a small solar panel on top that runs the radio without cranking it up. I've had it about 15 years now and use it often and it still works great. I can't recall what I paid for it back then and I don't see the big beast on their sight any longer but, like I said, it still works great.
I also have a small Eton Microlink FR160 that is small and is kept in one of my go bags. It has a dynamo that you crank for X number of minutes to charge up the internal battery. It has a triple led light, AM/FM/Weather tuning and has a setting you can switch to, connect a USB cable and charge a cell phone with. Nice little rig and I paid about $30 for it with shipping.
Denver Terry

Return to Human Power