• Advertisement

Gas can leaks and gasket material

Discussions about hydrocarbon fuels

Moderator: watcher

Gas can leaks and gasket material

Postby Gunns » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:15 pm

OK so these new safe gas cans leak like a sieve. The problem is I live in MN and if I fill one of these up and leave them in the garage, the gas travels up those nice safety pour tubes due to temperature differencs, then leaks past those nonfunctioning built in gaskets.

Does anyone know where to buy 1/4 inch hard like rubber gasket material so I can cut out my own to seal them?

Thanks
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Re: Gas can leaks and gasket material

Postby rjsincs » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:40 pm

i got one of those at lowes last year. way over priced and it is the worst gas can ever! they seem like they are 3x more dangerous with the leaking and also the way the pressure builds up in them.
I am the vegetarian wolf in sheep's clothing.
rjsincs

Postby Pedro wyoming » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:58 pm

RJ,
You cannot have it both ways. If the container does not vent, then it WILL pressure up. If it has a vent to release pressure then it will send fumes into the surrounding space. In addition to being fkammable, gas fumes are also a CNS depressant.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby rjsincs » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:01 am

Pedro wyoming wrote:RJ,
You cannot have it both ways. If the container does not vent, then it WILL pressure up. If it has a vent to release pressure then it will send fumes into the surrounding space. In addition to being fkammable, gas fumes are also a CNS depressant.

pW

ya your right but I do wish they had a pressure release that could be manually opened. Kinda like the older cans that you could open to increase the flow rate. On one occasion there was enough pressure in it that it looked like it was going to rupture the can. I probably shouldn't keep it in my shed with 50 degree temperature swings tho.
I am the vegetarian wolf in sheep's clothing.
rjsincs

Postby arkieready » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:00 am

New cans also collapse when cold. I have a metal can I think I will clean up & use. A few years ago I bought on clearance 3 pkg of caps & spouts, old style. To replace ones we broke or lost. Wish there had been more. I don't care if gasses vent, my shop is well, um, " ventilated."
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Pedro wyoming » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:14 am

rjsincs wrote:ya your right but I do wish they had a pressure release that could be manually opened. Kinda like the older cans that you could open to increase the flow rate. On one occasion there was enough pressure in it that it looked like it was going to rupture the can. I probably shouldn't keep it in my shed with 50 degree temperature swings tho.

The flaw in the older cans was that the pressure relief would open when pressured up and vent the fumes into the air. This contributed to many fires. A simple wat to defeat this new annoyance is to puncture a pinhole in the top of the can. In the handle is ideal. This will allow for pressure to escape, but recreates the same fire hazard of the old cans. If you have just a couple of gas cans, then store them in a metal trash can outdoors, in the shade. The temperature swing will still occur, but the fumes will vent outside, not in the shed.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:32 pm

I installed a tubeless tire valve stem on a 100 gallon gas tank (before it ever had gas in it) and can equalize the pressure with a tap on the valve (just like adjusting the air in a tire). Or remove the valve and lightly place a cap on it. With just a cap it will stay clean and the pressure equalized. Works for water tanks to. There are other valves, but tire stems are easy and cheap to get. I have done this with six five gallon jerry cans, but they were new and just be very careful with the drilling, if they ever had gas in them.
A friend took it further and uses them to vacuum seal large containers such as 55 gallon drums. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:04 pm

Wow, vacuum sealed drums! Whodathunk!

Hey, gunns, what about auto parts stores for gasket material? Or hardware store? Even if they don't stock it, they can get stuff. Where I work, I can order ALL kinds of off, stuff I'd never stock.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready

Postby Gunns » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:54 pm

Ya I will give them a try thanks.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby dale011 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:03 pm

http://www.mcmaster.com/# If they don't have it, It's not made :)
dale011

Postby kr105 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:05 pm

I have a metal Jerry can and only fill it at the 4 gallon mark. Once every few months, I take it outside and open it up to release the pressure. I tried the plastic, self venting and it stunk uo the garage with gas fumes. That was a short lived disaster.
kr105
Pennsylvania State Moderator
Pennsylvania State Moderator

Postby Everyman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:27 pm

dale011 wrote:http://www.mcmaster.com/# If they don't have it, It's not made :)

McMaster -Carr for sure. Great online catalog with lots of technical advice. Flawless service and reliability. I buy lots of stuff from them...never had a problem.
You are free to use or republish anything I have written here provided that your intent is to freely disseminate information that will help people. Attributions to Everyman appreciated.

From the most famous of the Medieval Morality Plays: And sayth one of the Virtues “Everyman I will go with thee to meet thy fate, I will attend thee when there is want; I am the Virtue of Knowledge.”

If voting worked it would be illegal.
Everyman
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby retired prepper » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:58 pm

Just a note, if your garage is attached to your house please dont store gasoline in there. 35 years as a firefighter, I saw many garage fires, can't say exactly how many were caused by gasoline storage, but when the garage is attached it really makes fighting the fire and keeping it out of the house a lot harder. Try to keep it in a storage shed if possible away from the house. I know it sounds like common sense, but I learned a long time ago that common sense is like the unicorn, everyone has heard of it but no one actually sees it.
retired prepper

Postby Gunns » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:01 pm

retired prepper wrote:Just a note, if your garage is attached to your house please dont store gasoline in there. 35 years as a firefighter, I saw many garage fires, can't say exactly how many were caused by gasoline storage, but when the garage is attached it really makes fighting the fire and keeping it out of the house a lot harder. Try to keep it in a storage shed if possible away from the house. I know it sounds like common sense, but I learned a long time ago that common sense is like the unicorn, everyone has heard of it but no one actually sees it.

Good advice, my garage is unattached. I wouldn't store that much gas anywhere near the house. As it is I am still worried about it.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Return to Hydrocarbon fuels