• Advertisement

STORING CHARCOAL

Discussions about hydrocarbon fuels

Moderator: watcher

STORING CHARCOAL

Postby donba » Fri May 23, 2014 5:09 pm

I found room to store some charcoal in my garden shed. I put 40 pounds in there with room for another 40. I wrapped the first two with black plastic bags, and taped them closed. The shed is water tight, but I seem to remember something about charcoal absorbing moisture, from the air. Did I do good or is this unnecessary ? any help would be appreciated, THANKS......
donba

Re: STORING CHARCOAL

Postby SCVCERT » Fri May 23, 2014 5:57 pm

I just picked up 4 bags myself.
I was thinking about putting them into a open top cardboard container with a lid. Same thing, plastic bag and them into the container.
Also store in my shed. SCV does not get a ton of rain, so it should be good.
SCVCERT

Postby arkieready » Fri May 23, 2014 8:32 pm

Plastic wrap of some sort is a good idea. I used trash bags inside trash cans. Building does leak so I feel better doubled up. Briquettes can contain clay which do absorb moisture. Hardwood lump is less likely. Trash bags are cheap insurance.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby RELOADER » Fri May 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Drop double bags od charcoal on sale for memorial day or two singles in 55 gallon trash bags,,,,use the trash bags when SHTF to throw your trash in your neihbors yard a mile down the road at 3 am LOL! Easy Peasy Lemon Squeazy!
RELOADER

Postby namwal » Fri May 23, 2014 11:34 pm

Keep mine dry in empty kitty litter containers. Has the added bonus of a carry handle. http://www.walmart.com/ip/10308706?wmls ... 30&veh=sem
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Sat May 24, 2014 10:16 am

namwal wrote:Keep mine dry in empty kitty litter containers. Has the added bonus of a carry handle. http://www.walmart.com/ip/10308706?wmls ... 30&veh=sem

I tried storing in these: Image but the briquettes kept getting stuck in the opening and it was a PIA to get them out.

So I now use these: Image MUCH easier, and they are square so they fit better on a shelf.

I also cut the label from the charcoal bag and use clear packing tape to label my new charcoal container. I remove the old cat litter label and attach the charcoal label. So much easier to identify the container. I'm a 'visual' person, so I label all my buckets & containers that way (by using the original labels/packing tape method). -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Tobor » Sat May 24, 2014 10:33 am

i keep mine in kitty litter buckets too works good.. if your worried about wet leave about half inch of litter in it or put in a hand full of dessicant packets then lock the lid seal with packing or duct tape..
Tobor

Postby namwal » Sat May 24, 2014 5:23 pm

ReadyMom wrote:
namwal wrote:Keep mine dry in empty kitty litter containers. Has the added bonus of a carry handle. http://www.walmart.com/ip/10308706?wmls ... 30&veh=sem

I tried storing in these: Image but the briquettes kept getting stuck in the opening and it was a PIA to get them out.

So I now use these: Image MUCH easier, and they are square so they fit better on a shelf.

I also cut the label from the charcoal bag and use clear packing tape to label my new charcoal container. I remove the old cat litter label and attach the charcoal label. So much easier to identify the container. I'm a 'visual' person, so I label all my buckets & containers that way (by using the original labels/packing tape method). -k

I use the jug ones, kids put them in one at a time by hand. When I need to use them (and I rarely do as I burn mesquite, charcoal is just a prep) I simply cut off the top with a knife. The wife rarely buys the big bucket type and when she does I use those for other things, but I could see how convenient they would be.
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby DuckNCover » Sat May 24, 2014 9:09 pm

Storing a few bags of charcoal shouldn't be a problem especially if you keep it dry. My question has to do with storing large quantities of charcoal in the range of 100's of pounds.

Couldn't the charcoal dust be flammable especially in hire concentrations??? I used to live in coal country and used to hear about static electricity precautions around coal. Anyone hear anything similar about this???
DuckNCover

Postby namwal » Sat May 24, 2014 9:15 pm

DuckNCover wrote:Storing a few bags of charcoal shouldn't be a problem especially if you keep it dry. My question has to do with storing large quantities of charcoal in the range of 100's of pounds.

Couldn't the charcoal dust be flammable especially in hire concentrations??? I used to live in coal country and used to hear about static electricity precautions around coal. Anyone hear anything similar about this???

The cheap stuff I buy ain't coal from the coal mine. It's some compressed type of stuff and takes a little effort to get burning.

namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby karlsgunbunker » Mon May 26, 2014 12:25 am

Standard 5 gal buckets work great.
Kitty litter container is a great idea!
KGB - 01FFL - $20 Transfers in Indianapolis area.
"Doing what I can with what I got!" - Burt Gummer
karlsgunbunker
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby 500CID » Tue May 27, 2014 11:44 am

DuckNCover wrote:Couldn't the charcoal dust be flammable especially in hire concentrations??? I used to live in coal country and used to hear about static electricity precautions around coal. Anyone hear anything similar about this???

It is, just like corn-starch, powdered sugar and coffee creamer.. I'm being serious

30 minute combustible dust hazard video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d37Ca3E4fA

Even Iron dust can combust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HamKcduWeyg
500CID

Postby sandlapper3 » Fri May 30, 2014 7:09 pm

Big 32 gallon plastic trash cans from Ace Hardware (Ace Brand). The lids fit better than those from Lowes.
sandlapper3
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby karlsgunbunker » Fri May 30, 2014 9:51 pm

These Screw top Barrels would work well for charcoal.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/h ... ?a=1009668

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/u ... ?a=1145774

I have a couple of Swedish Army milk cans I've been needing a use for, I may fill them with charcoal.
KGB - 01FFL - $20 Transfers in Indianapolis area.
"Doing what I can with what I got!" - Burt Gummer
karlsgunbunker
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Return to Hydrocarbon fuels