• Advertisement

Water Heater Test for SHTF

Discussions about hydrocarbon fuels

Moderator: watcher

Water Heater Test for SHTF

Postby Gunns » Mon May 18, 2015 10:40 am

So as you may or may not know, we are in the process of changing over our water heater and stove/oven to Propane. We are all electric at the moment.

So the plumber came over and ran all the indoor gas lines and installed the water heater. We do not have our tanks buried yet so the Propane guy we hired hooked a 20lb tank to the line and fired up the water heater. So the tank lasted just over 10 days for 2 people, showers, cloths washing, dishes, guests staying a couple days, etc.

That's less than 1/2 gallon a day. So two 1,000 gallon tanks with 800 gallons each should last a bit.

Now to get a couple inline gas heaters and test them. I wonder how much gas we would have used with an inline?
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Re: Water Heater Test for SHTF

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:22 am

A Renai heater only burns gas when there is a demand for hot water. We have at church and it is very economical. Only sips propane.

During a hurricane power outage for six days, we found out that our electric water heater kept water hot for 5 days. My wife and I took "navy showers". I am hooking up a 220 power source from my propane portable 9,000 watt generator to power the heater for about an hour every four days. That would last a very long time.

I also built a solar water heater that will heat up water to 120 degs in no time on a sunny day even in winter.

Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Mon May 18, 2015 11:58 am

rebnavy1862 wrote:A Renai heater only burns gas when there is a demand for hot water. We have at church and it is very economical. Only sips propane.

During a hurricane power outage for six days, we found out that our electric water heater kept water hot for 5 days. My wife and I took "navy showers". I am hooking up a 220 power source from my propane portable 9,000 watt generator to power the heater for about an hour every four days. That would last a very long time.

I also built a solar water heater that will heat up water to 120 degs in no time on a sunny day even in winter.

Reb

What about something like this? No AC required.

http://www.eztankless.com/index.php/pro ... 1-outdoor/
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:53 pm

Gunns, it looks good. I like the battery ignition.

Two concerns:

"Up to" 1.6 gals/min. Very low output, low pressure. That's about 96 gals per hour. A garden hose delivers up to 500 gals/hour.
As long as you don't expect a gusher, you're OK.

Raises ambient temp 45 degs. If you're using well water, 54 degs in Summer, then you will only get 100 degs out of the faucet at best.
That's a warm shower, not hot like my wife prefers. She has our shower set on full rolling boil.

I would set up your gas hot water heater to fire every few days and cover it with one of those insulation blankets made for water heaters.

Reb
just had a shower.... red as a lobster.
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby Grizbrb » Mon May 18, 2015 4:04 pm

Timely. Topic as I have been looking at an

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eccotemp-L5-Por ... 1960944952

Asked about it on another forum and one guy said he had had one in use for some time and used less that one 20 lbs tank a year with daily showers.
Grizbrb

Postby Gunns » Tue May 19, 2015 9:26 am

I think I might pick one up and put it on a dolly for just in case emergencies.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:09 am

Grizbrb wrote:Timely. Topic as I have been looking at an

Asked about it on another forum and one guy said he had had one in use for some time and used less that one 20 lbs tank a year with daily showers.

Thanks Grizbrb (how do you pronounce your name?). I like the price. I could mount it outside my bathroom window and still use the shower indoors.
A warm shower in a stressful scenario is a great morale booster.

Reb

rebnavy1862

Postby terrapin » Tue May 19, 2015 5:20 pm

Grizbrb wrote:Timely. Topic as I have been looking at an

Griz,
I have one of those. Got it last Dec.
I use it daily. I like it.
But, it is not as efficient as that guy claims.
I get about 45 or 50 showers with a 15 lb. tank of propane.
That's not too bad. (about $0.35 per shower).
Highly recommend.
terrapin

Postby Grizbrb » Tue May 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Thanks Terrapin . Of course then you get into what is a shower. If one wets down . Then turns it off. Lathers up . Then turns it on to rinse off . Verses water flow whole time . Still your saying 1/6th the efficiency so maybe he forgot when he changed tanks. I got one coming so we will see. Got to beat what I do now . I heat water in a turkey fryer. Dip and pore.
Grizbrb

Postby terrapin » Tue May 19, 2015 6:05 pm

Grizbrb wrote:Thanks Terrapin . Of course then you get into what is a shower. If one wets down . Then turns it off. Lathers up . Then turns it on to rinse off . Verses water flow whole time . Still your saying 1/6th the efficiency so maybe he forgot when he changed tanks. I got one coming so we will see. Got to beat what I do now . I heat water in a turkey fryer. Dip and pore.

You're right about how you define "shower". I like a regular shower (full-time water).
You will be happy with the new water heater.
I've done the dip and pour thing. :shakeno:
terp
terrapin

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:34 pm

Grizbrb wrote:Thanks Terrapin . Of course then you get into what is a shower. If one wets down . Then turns it off. Lathers up . Then turns it on to rinse off . Verses water flow whole time . Still your saying 1/6th the efficiency so maybe he forgot when he changed tanks. I got one coming so we will see. Got to beat what I do now . I heat water in a turkey fryer. Dip and pore.

That's called a navy shower. When you are at sea, making fresh water with evaporators, the water supply is rationed.
Reb

rebnavy1862

Postby Gunns » Wed May 20, 2015 9:20 am

rebnavy1862 wrote:

That's called a navy shower. When you are at sea, making fresh water with evaporators, the water supply is rationed.
Reb

I remember those days. A Navy guy would push the button to let you get wet, lather up and than he pushed it to let you rinse. The Navy didn't trust us Marines to push our own water buttons.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby captrick20 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Over in Afghanistan right now they want us to do that. 3 minute showers!. Its because we are tied in to the city, and they don't want us to run out of water.... But the locals favorite thing to do on base is water the cement or concrete. Not sure what they are trying to grow :shifty: . When I get home I think I will introduce my wife to these showers, tell her to get use to it.
captrick20

Return to Hydrocarbon fuels