• Advertisement

doomsday prepper water system

Discussions about water storage, filtration, purification and procurement

doomsday prepper water system

Postby brescon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:29 am

does anyone know the name of the water filter system featured on the last episode of the show? the woman took it to the geese pond for a demo. it is a gravity system.
brescon

Re: doomsday prepper water system

Postby GA PREPPER » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:24 am

i was wondering the same thing?we thought she may have made it. please post if you find out & i will do so as well. thank you
GA prepper region 1
GA PREPPER
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby brescon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:37 am

her website is www.zebgear.com. I went there but there is just the filter, not the whole system. I sent an email but have not heard back yet. I'm thinking she might be swamped with emails !!
brescon

Postby doomsdaypreppers » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:18 pm

I am pretty sure she is just buying the kit and then making her own labels on 5 gallon buckets. You can find the kits on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-PointTwo-P ... 703&sr=1-1
Be Prepared - Stay Alive
Doomsday-Preppers.com
doomsdaypreppers

Postby prep4everything » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:04 pm

WAYYYYY to much money.... Just as good and A LOT LESS $$$$

Proud Infidel !!!….Don’t like it….come do something about it… I’ll help you with that 72 virgin thing (they told you they are all boys….right?)

www.doubletapok.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/DoubleTapShooting
prep4everything

Postby brescon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:42 am

I like this system a lot. I'll definitely do this

thanks for much for your time on this video
brescon

Postby Rivmage » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:46 pm

I have a question for you, prepforeverything.

Why wait for the water to "settle"? Why not use an old sheet or shirt to filter out the larger debris?

Scott
P!
www.scotthomesteader.blogspot.com
Rivmage

Postby YHWH_777 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:58 pm

prep4everything wrote:WAYYYYY to much money.... Just as good and A LOT LESS $$$$

prep4everything:

While you do provide a cheap (and good) alternative for water filtration, I don't believe that your method is "just as good" as the Sawyer Point ZeroTwo.

First, the filter that you use in the video has a pore size of 0.5 micron, while the Sawyer Point ZeroTwo has a pore size of 0.02 micron (which is 25x smaller). Because of this smaller pore size, the Sawyer Point ZeroTwo is classified as a water purifier (which means that it can remove viruses from dirty water), while the filter that you use is just that - a water filter - and will not remove viruses from water.

In addition, most filters have a lifespan between 50 gallons and a few thousand gallons, while the Sawyer purifier has a life of a million gallons. This means that you might need to replace your filter many times (if there was a long-term disaster), which of course would increase the total cost of ownership.

While the Sawyer is about 4-5x more expensive (they run about $100-125), some people would rather spend the extra money to try and assure that they won't get sick from the water that they drink. After all, getting sick when the SHTF is the worst thing that could happen (since there probably won't be hospitals, doctors, or medications available) and could possibly lead to death (from dehydration).

Please understand that this post is just meant to discuss some of the facts and not a personal attack. I have watched your video previously and learned a lot from it.

Keep up the good work.
YHWH_777
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Jlombardo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:33 pm

Sawyer discourages the purchase of the .02 filter as they feel that it is not necessary anywhere on the north American continent. The Sawyer .02 costs about 129.00
However they recommend that you purchase the .10 filter which is also considered a purifier and is used in most 3rd world countries. As a matter of fact, the Military uses the .10 when they set up water filtration for villages in Afganastan.
I have 2 of the.10 filters with the bucket set up NAND they are about 55.00
I did a lot of research and they appear to be the all around the best available.
Jlombardo

Postby YHWH_777 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:56 pm

Jlombardo wrote:Sawyer discourages the purchase of the .02 filter as they feel that it is not necessary anywhere on the north American continent.

The Sawyer website (http://www.sawyer.com/waterFAQ.html) states the following (emphasis added by me):

Q. How do I know which level of filtration I need?
A. First consider where you will use your filter. If it's here in North America, then the 0.1 filter will probably do just fine. However, if you suspect there are viruses in the water, then you need to either use the 0.02 filter or add a small amount of chlorine to the water.

Please note that they say that you the 0.1 filter will "probably" be fine. I'm not sure about you, but I'm not going to trust my life (or my loved one's lives) on "probably".

Jlombardo wrote:...the .10 filter which is also considered a purifier...

The Sawyer 0.1 filter is NOT a purifier. In order to be considered a purifier, it would need to remove viruses (which it doesn't since viruses can be smaller than 0.1 microns).

If you go to the Sawyer website (http://www.sawyer.com/water.html), you will see that they divide their filters into two groups: filters (0.1) and purifiers (0.02).
YHWH_777

Postby swampthing762 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:40 am

I got the Point One myself, and I have used it with Florida swamp water. Every bit as good as bottled water!!

ST762
swampthing762

Postby YHWH_777 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:48 am

One other thing to keep in mind when purchasing a water filtration/purification system...

Filters are currently marketed for current conditions in the world. But please remember that water conditions would probably change (for the worse) in a SHTF situation. The U.S. (and most of the civilized world) is currently very sanitized. In the U.S., we have toilets, septic systems, garbage pickups on certain days, sinks for hand washing, clothes machines, washing machines, etc. This leads to a very clean environment. But if the SHTF, that could change (and very quickly). For example, if the electricity goes out for an extended period of time, water would work for the first few hours/days (as the water towers empty), but then most people wouldn't be able to obtain water through their pipes (since pipes require pressure which requires electricity). This means that sinks wouldn't work, toilets wouldn't work, etc. Where would people go to the bathroom? Or where would they dispose of their waste? In many cases it would probably be in their backyards, which might make its way into the water system. At that point, your water might contain lots of nasty little things, such as the Hepatitis virus (which filters cannot remove).

Hepatitis concerns in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina: http://www.heptrec.org/PDF/Katrina%20re ... %20web.pdf

Epidemic-Prone Disease Surveillance and Response After the Tsunami in Aceh Province, Indonesia: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccd ... 7a-eng.php

EDIT: Having said all of that, if you still are going to use a water filter (as opposed to a purifier), I would highly recommend using a purification technique on the water after it is filtered. I would recommend boiling (if possible) or solar disinfection (SODIS). Others recommend bleach or pool shock (Calcium Hypochlorite w/o additives), but there are many people that would say that these methods are not as efficient or safe (for your health). Still others would recommend adding silver (via coins or some other means) to your water, but I don't know much about that. NASA supposedly used a silver water filtration system on the Apollo missions and Space Shuttle (http://colloidalsilversecrets.blogspot. ... -ever.html). Some of the ceramic water filters also contain silver in them.

In addition, you might also want to consider adding a charcoal filter in your system to help clarify the water even more (and make it taste better).
YHWH_777

Postby Jlombardo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:30 pm

YHWH-77
Let me be perfectly clear....the info that I passed on was not from a website but from a technician at the home office here in Safety Harbor, FL.
If you pour over the website and check out what the military is supplying overseas, it is the .10
I want you to understand CLEARLY that the info I passed on was from the source.
That being said, each person should purchase what they wish.
FYI.....the .02 must be "primed" with pressure before it will work and according to the company, the best way to do it is with your faucet, which can present a problem if there is no pressure. Probably some type of a hand pump would work.
Jlombardo

Postby prep4everything » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:45 am

Rivmage wrote:I have a question for you, prepforeverything.

Why wait for the water to "settle"? Why not use an old sheet or shirt to filter out the larger debris?

Scott

You certainly could do that. I was just trying to show how bad the water could be and still filter it.
Proud Infidel !!!….Don’t like it….come do something about it… I’ll help you with that 72 virgin thing (they told you they are all boys….right?)

www.doubletapok.com
prep4everything

Postby prep4everything » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:50 am

YHWH_777 wrote:
prep4everything wrote:WAYYYYY to much money.... Just as good and A LOT LESS $$$$

prep4everything:

While you do provide a cheap (and good) alternative for water filtration, I don't believe that your method is "just as good" as the Sawyer Point ZeroTwo.

First, the filter that you use in the video has a pore size of 0.5 micron, while the Sawyer Point ZeroTwo has a pore size of 0.02 micron (which is 25x smaller). Because of this smaller pore size, the Sawyer Point ZeroTwo is classified as a water purifier (which means that it can remove viruses from dirty water), while the filter that you use is just that - a water filter - and will not remove viruses from water.

In addition, most filters have a lifespan between 50 gallons and a few thousand gallons, while the Sawyer purifier has a life of a million gallons. This means that you might need to replace your filter many times (if there was a long-term disaster), which of course would increase the total cost of ownership.

While the Sawyer is about 4-5x more expensive (they run about $100-125), some people would rather spend the extra money to try and assure that they won't get sick from the water that they drink. After all, getting sick when the SHTF is the worst thing that could happen (since there probably won't be hospitals, doctors, or medications available) and could possibly lead to death (from dehydration).

Please understand that this post is just meant to discuss some of the facts and not a personal attack. I have watched your video previously and learned a lot from it.

Keep up the good work.

I keep a couple of these things around; I wouldn't drink any water from any filter system without bleach or boil. I don’t care what they say it filters too. It is still a man-made mechanical device that is assembled by people that can make mistakes. I can have a bunch of these sitting around for the money and if I lose one, break one, or it gets stolen I have a backup. Having one means you have none. Having two means you have one and so one.

www.doubletapok.com
prep4everything

Next

Return to Water