• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Spill Containment Trays - help!

Discussions about water storage, filtration, purification and procurement

Spill Containment Trays - help!

Postby angie_nrs » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:27 am

I went to a garage sale in the spring and there was 2 spill containment trays that I really wanted to buy, but I couldn't b/c they wouldn't fit in my car. :( I haven't been able to get these things out of my head since then. They were approximately 4 foot long by 2-3 feet wide with an approximately 3 inch lip along the sides for spill containment. They were black hard plastic with a white plug on one corner in the lip portion so that anything that did spill in this thing could be tipped out through the plug, perhaps for reuse.

Anyways, I have not been able to find these things anywhere! Even online I can't find them, probably b/c I don't know specifically what they are called. I've tried spill containment trays, catchment mats, etc. and I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. In the meantime I bought a couple of rabbit pen catchment trays at TS but they are smaller than what I would like. I plan to use them to put my fluids in like water, oil, vinegar, laundry detergent, etc. so that if any of them leak, I won't have a complete mess to deal with. If a situation gets bad enough, I plan to convert them to large dog litter boxes in case the pups must stay in for an extended period of time for any reason. I also purchased some non-dusty, clump, kitty litter to accommodate the mess should that be necessary.

Does anybody know these trays are called or where I could get them? Having a few of these in my basement would be really helpful. :thumbsup:
angie_nrs

Re: Spill Containment Trays - help!

Postby dmwalsh568 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:51 pm

When I searched for spill on a site I've used in the past for shelving units and organization systems I came up with a bunch of hits. one of which is close:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/mater ... t-platform

It's yellow and doesn't have a plug. but it's got a grating meant to hold drums full of liquid.

They also have a small tray containment system:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/mater ... n-capacity

Not quite the size you're looking for, but the price isn't as crazy as some of their more industrial products.

But, if you're just looking to keep individual bottles of stuff from spilling over the place and you have a bit of spare room...have you considered disposable aluminum chafing dishes? Like you'd used on a food buffet line or salad at a church gathering? I've bought a bunch of the insert chafing dishes that you fit two in a warming system, and they might do the trick at a fraction of the cost.... Or for really small bottles, disposable aluminum pie plates or 9x9 brownie pans...
dmwalsh568

Postby Blondie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Try a search for cargo liner/cargo trays. I was looking at them for the back of my SUV but I haven't bought one yet.

A detail shop here has them. Have you tried Tractor Supply?

You want them for your vehicle or for the house?
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:49 pm

they sell trays for water heaters - never saw one that size before .....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby angie_nrs » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:51 pm

dm - yeah, I've found the industrial type of trays. It's not what I'm looking for. The one you have there that looks like an ice fishing sled is one of the closest I've found to what I saw. Unfortunately, the chafing dishes wouldn't be big enough for what I'm looking for. I'd like to put 5 gal water bottles in there and detergent bottles....very large liquid bottles all in the same container/area to save space. Thanks for the idea though.

Blondie - Yup, went to TS and got the rabbit pen containers which is the closest thing I've found so far that didn't break the bank. They didn't have what I was looking for. On Amazon I found the "jumbo boot tray" that folks use in the back of an SUV and also the UltraTech 2370 which is 44" by 23.5" and it is close, but it is also $55. However, neither one of them are what I saw. :( I sure wish I would have had the truck that day! If I remember correctly I think she said her husband got them at Home Depot but I asked there and they didn't have anything like that.
angie_nrs

Postby daaswampman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:09 pm

https://www.newpig.com/

They carry a wide range of products for leaks, drips and spills. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby anita » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:53 pm

I use the under-the-bed blanket plastic containers for holding anything I worry might spill, and I use boot trays for some things as well.

There are also the trays that go under washing machines, but they aren't that big.

Also, for puppies, I use piece of a rubber shower liner. They sell it at Home Depot and I think it comes in a four or six foot width. You just tell them the length you want, they cut it, and done. No lip, but I put it under the big playpen thing that can attach to the crate, and it gives a nice-sized area for the puppy. It's food/water/newspaper can all go in there, and you can just roll it up when you don't need it.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby conjomen » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:38 am

I don't know what the name of the container is but I have an idea for the puppies! Kiddie pools. You could store your 5 gallon h2o containers in them when you don't need it also. I buy those little splash pools at the Dollar General at the end of summer for like 5-7 dollars. I can't remember what size... But the smaller one fits 2-3 toddlers and it's like $5.00 on sale. Regular price is like 10.00...Any how I also have kitty litter but I also got a piece of astro turf! Bought it at home depot for like 15 bucks? Works perfectly for my big dog! She's a biiiigggg girl...and I really didn't want to have to store those pee pee pads....it works pretty good for short term. I can't say it's a good long term solution but for a couple of days to a couple of weeks its perfect. And you could buy all the stuff u needed to last quite a while for less than the 55.00 your spending on the container...just a thought!
If you do figure out what those containers are called I'd be interested. Sounds like something I could think up a really good use for!
Dream like you will live forever, Live like you will die today[size=85][/size]
conjomen
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby derhaashund » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Try Mcmaster Carr. It's where we get ours from. https://www.mcmaster.com/#=19fgyey
derhaashund
Earn gift cards to build your prep stash here http://www.points2shop.com/l/45/default?ref=uin1456091242 or PM me for more info.
derhaashund
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Return to Water