• Advertisement
Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

How to start your year's supply for a few hundred dollars

The basics to getting started on your journey to preparedness.

Moderator: ReadyMom

How to start your year's supply for a few hundred dollars

Postby TheLight » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:37 am

Folks are often daunted by the prospect of food storage, especially when thinking about a one year supply. I'm going to outline a method in this post to get a bare-bones one year supply of storage food for a few hundred dollars.

First off, what does a one year supply of food actually look like? The answer may surprise you...

Yup, that's it. Sure it's bland. Sure you'll be eating a lot of bread, sprouts, rice, and beans... But at least you will be fed. The one thing I would add to the picture's list is a year's supply of multivitamins. By focusing on this relatively simple start, you will secure your base food supply for a year and have a great foundation on which to build variety. Lets look at the image and see what's there. From the top down we have:
  • 8 lbs salt
  • 10 quarts of oil
  • 60 lbs of beans
  • 16 lbs powdered milk
  • 60 lbs sugar/honey
  • 400 lbs of grain (I'd recommend a variety of wheat and rice here)

You could just go to a big box store like Sam's Club or Costco and pick up the majority of this. Put it in some mylar bags, seal it in some food-grade buckets, and you're all set. The alternative is to use your local LDS storehouse where you can buy and package most of these items up yourself. Locations of storehouses can be found here. Call them to be sure they allow non-church members to use the facilities and book an appointment.

Using the LDS Cannery method, you're able to build up a years supply of food for one for around $300. Note: You will need to purchase a grain mill to make use of the wheat. This is something any serious prepper should have and is not included in the $300 price tag.

To start adding variety right away, simply buy extra items that you normally use and increase the size of your pantry! For example if you would normally buy one pound of pasta a week, buy two and shelve the other one in your food rotation. After a few weeks of doing this, you'll have a one to two month supply of foods you normally eat on hand which you can use to give variety to your storage foods.
"Where did I leave that clue-by-four?" -Me
"TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once." -Rush2112
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." ~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: How to start your year's supply for a few hundred dollar

Postby timortiz » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:52 am

Nice... Most of my storage is in cans, although I have put rice, flour and bulk beans in mylar with moisture and oxygen absorbers. I also don't put them in buckets, I use totes. The oil is another issue as most oils tens not to last. I have not seen any data with regard to LTS of oils in special packaging.

Do you really think a serious prepper should have a grain mill? I have no plans to acquire one. Personally, I like my cans. They are portable (although heavy), stack-able, I can rotate stock by date, use only what I need when I need it, if it's getting close to an expiry and I can't use it I can always donate it to a local food pantry.

Tim
timortiz
Illinois Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:57 am

Also take a look at this:

A weekly guide on home preparation for long-term emergency situations. Each week focuses on a new area of preparation, such as food/food storage, water, alternate electric, alternate sanitation, alternate light. After six weeks you will have the basics necessary for handling emergencies in your household. Build on these preparation supplies as you are financially able.

Basics in Six Weeks
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby TheLight » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:34 am

timortiz wrote:Nice... Most of my storage is in cans, although I have put rice, flour and bulk beans in mylar with moisture and oxygen absorbers. I also don't put them in buckets, I use totes. The oil is another issue as most oils tens not to last. I have not seen any data with regard to LTS of oils in special packaging.

Do you really think a serious prepper should have a grain mill? I have no plans to acquire one. Personally, I like my cans. They are portable (although heavy), stack-able, I can rotate stock by date, use only what I need when I need it, if it's getting close to an expiry and I can't use it I can always donate it to a local food pantry.

Tim

Good point on the oil, Tim. That's something that should be in your rotation and, hence, in the pantry. Honestly most things, including grains, should be in your rotation. "Store what you eat" and all that. For my situation, it make's sense to keep items like grain separate. Though I do break open a can and bake fresh bread, from scratch, at least twice a month.

On the grinder front, the reason I say every prepper should have one is simply, what happen two or three years down the line? If you're going to survive, you need a way to grind things into flour. Sure you could chisel a stone to make your own mill, but that's much harder than getting a precision crafted mill now, that will last you 20 years. Also, hard red wheat will store 20-30 years. Flour will only store 1-5. Makes much more sense to store the wheat.
"TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once." -Rush2112
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." ~Winston Churchill

TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby timortiz » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:31 pm

On another note, I have often thought about getting a nitrogen tank and using it for food storage purposes. There is a local welding supply store, although I have not priced it out. I think they would deliver, too. It's not as convenient as oxygen absorbers, but would be useful in places oxygen absorbers are not, such as the storage of liquids and refined oils. I'll give them a call and post what the pricing is.
timortiz

Postby Elona » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:15 pm

I have to second the notion of using what you store. There are some good cookbooks out there that will let you learn how to use food storage for everyday use. I would a lot rather be used to using these items than to have to figure it out in an emergency situation.
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here It takes a person two years to learn to talk and the rest of their life to learn not to. (my father's saying)
Elona
Kansas State Moderator
Kansas State Moderator

Postby Whisper » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:38 pm

Nice post Light, Complete with pics. You make it look obviously easy.
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby tigger2 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Just start with small steps. Prepping is kinda of like learning to walk. You will fall every now and again. Start off small. If you can buy in bulk, usually the price is much better. Instead of buying one can of chicken noodle soup, buy 2 and set one back. You do that for a while and it adds up
Lord knows, I made mistakes. When I first started prepping, I was scared to death. It gets better with time. You learn from your mistakes. The most important thing for me is to try the food out before I buy it. Some brands of certain foods are wonderful and other brands of the same food are crap. An off brand might be cheaper but try it before you store it.
You can catch food on sale and use coupons.
Krogers considers you a senior citizen at 50, I think that is about right. I am 56. If you go to Krogers on wednesday, you get a 5% discount. If you use the Krogers card, you get that discount. It adds up. I bought the flat iron steaks on a wednesday. I got like a 15% discount. That's not bad.
Red Queen: I can give you the code, but first you must do something for me.
Alice: What?
Red Queen: One of your group has been infected. I require her life for the code.

Resident Evil

Region 1
tigger2
Prepper Emeritus

Postby cherokeenut » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:56 am

Thanks light, this is a great visual for newbies, I'm passing in on to my family.
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby TheLight » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 am

I didn't make this clear in the initial post, but that image isn't mine. It's from a blog and I thought it was useful to pass along as it changed the way I prepped.
Here is another from that series:
As you can see, not the most flavorful or varied diet, but at least it's food. Note also that you can grind the beans up in the flour to enrich the bread.
Originally I found these images posted at Deals to Meals blog. I've shared them around ever since because most folks don't realize how little a year supply can be, or how easy it is to set up a foundational element to your prepping like this.
-TL

TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby EvilSB » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:22 am

thanks for providing a visual for a year's supply. its one thing to read it, and another to see it. it looks doable when you get the visual in your head.

-esb
EvilSB

Postby SCPrepper » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:48 pm

This is a good way for those who can't decide what to do first. One way to store the oils, buy one a week for the amounted time, watch the exp date, about a month prior to the date and you did not use the oil or any item (or don't plan to ), buy the replacement and give to a local food bank.
SC District 5
SCPrepper
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby wheezie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:21 am

Great post, and I love the pics!
wheezie

Postby HuntnFreak » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:53 pm

Shopping wisely can reduce the costs - Sam's Costco etc. even though they have member ship fees, they are will worth it. Also check out and befriend the local resturant owners. We accumulated over 100 food stroage buckets for free. Also check out the dehydrated bulk sites. We purchased some pretty large volumes, initial expense was about $3K, but the cost per serving and the amount of dehydrated food used per meal has greatly reduced my monthly food budget (Family of 5). ALthough the basics route was the least expensive, if you have kids, you have to realize they will not eat the same thing over and over. AS the site states - accumatle and use what you eat now. Learn how to make pizzas vs. ordering out -visit the copy cat recipe sites - you can have your favorite resturant food right at home while learning to use your stores.
HuntnFreak
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby kelly » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:27 pm

hi all, i reacentley found that costco now sells emergency #10 cans of food pretty cheap and the price includes shipping
kelly
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Next

Return to How To Start Prepping (The Basics)