• Advertisement

What are you doing on this first day of spring?

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

What are you doing on this first day of spring?

Postby founderant » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:24 am

The March equinox is today March 20, 2017. What are you doing to get ready for your gardens?
Americans Networking To Survive
http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
founderant
A.N.T.S. Founder
A.N.T.S. Founder

Re: What are you doing on this first day of spring?

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:30 am

going to be a beautiful spring day - little wet from last nite's t-storm ... got another yard waste load ready for this week's garbage - anything else accomplished is all bonus ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:44 am

Still under a few inches of snow. Lows in the teens.
Seedlings are going good.
Need to start the next round.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby NJMike » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:56 am

I have to container garden this year until I move again. However, it's a bit cold today to do much outside, plus melting snow and ice, and then there's being at work...

This past weekend, I started transplanting healthier seedlings from tray positions up to larger 3" pots. I also split some existing Aloe into fresh pots with fresh soil.

Stopping by the old place tonight, so will probably pick up some more containers. Later I'll probably do more seedling transplanting to 3" pots. I have some lemon balm seeds to start as well.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Fullmoon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:56 am

Last Friday it hit 70 degrees here, got out and cleaned up all the tree branches and other debris that was blown down over the winter. Turned over several raised beds and planted 5 Honeyberry bushes, something new from Siberia, I thought I would give them a try. They grow fruit like a blueberry but elongated and much bigger, cold hardy to 40 below. Also planted snow peas, brussel sprouts and cauliflower. Today its raining and 64 degrees.
Fullmoon

Postby ajax727 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:10 am

Last year i had plants out and that darn late frost got them .
We just had a storm that turned the ground white with hail from pea size to chunks the size of nickles . i have never seen that much hail at one time in my life .
I have not been able to do much garden work so far this year due to my health . I have a new Doctor , she has me lined up with a Heart doctor in July heart beat drops to 33 at times , she sent me to and eye doctor not tears in my retina , no answer on why i see bright or colored lighting bolts , that trigger massive headache . I think they are caused by TBI ,i got several years ago from a logging accident . A tree i was cutting down kicked up when it fell and the butt end hit me in the jaw shattered four back teeth and knocked me about 12 feet backwards , my brain went numb but what do i know i am not a Doctor .
Anyway got my cups filled with potting soil and in the trays but no seeds in them yet . I have a large garden every year but this year i will have a real small one just enough for my family and a few friends .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby IceFire » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:01 pm

Since I'm working, I'll have just about enough time after getting home to shovel several day's worth of manure out of the corral (it goes into a pile to compost for the garden), feed horses and goats, and collect eggs before going in and starting dinner.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Dirk Williams » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Well,,,, I intend to go sailing. Been prepping a couple boats for this season. Truth be told I thought tomorrow was Spring, this retirement stuff is tough, I rarely know what day of the week it is, hope the poopoo, don't stop me I don't think I could pass The cognitive part of the test.

Happy spring to all.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby Cin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Husband mowed the backyard - yes, 6 days ago, we had 3 days of below freezing weather...then rain, and now the backyard needed mowing.

Husband also got our tropical plants out - they're under a grow light all winter in our storage area. All are thriving.

I moved my orange tree to the back deck, southern sun, it loves it.

I've started the annual spring cleaning...YAY. :(
Cin

Postby Blondie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Dirk Williams wrote:Well,,,, I intend to go sailing. Been prepping a couple boats for this season. Truth be told I thought tomorrow was Spring, this retirement stuff is tough, I rarely know what day of the week it is, hope the poopoo, don't stop me I don't think I could pass The cognitive part of the test.

Happy spring to all.

Dirk

:angry: I'll see what I can arrange.

Was in the 40's today but snow in the forecast later this week. I might need sunblock by 4th of July.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:20 pm

Lets see...

Doing another lettuce harvest tonight after it cools(Probably the last before bolting)
Harvesting peas, Rainbow Chard, Carrots Kale, and tree collards...

Strawberries, 2nd set of peas, artichokes,additional sets of Kale and Broccoli are coming in nicely.... :thumbup:

Planted out 4 different types of container Zucchini...(Experimenting)

Planted out 10 sets of Cantaloupe(I really should have staggered the plantings but I needed the space in the greenhouse.)

Finishing my seed starts into 3" cups for about 4 different type of tomatoes today...Mostly cherry variety but about 7 different beefsteaks...maybe 20 in all.

I sincerely have no Idea where I'm going to have the space to plant out as of now...lol. :rofl:
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Return to A.N.T.S.