• Advertisement

OK: lets Talk About the Nasty Stuff-Hygiene

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

OK: lets Talk About the Nasty Stuff-Hygiene

Postby Cadit » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:14 am

Hygiene is a must in a grid down scenario where we need most of our water to drink. But most often; Hygiene is left to the lesser things of importance. Many deaths were attributed to uncleanliness of the early settlers of our frontier. It is stated by Indians that they could smell the white man before they ever saw him. In old England; people didn't bath, but put on more perfume to hide the smell of their bodies.

In the old West, it was reported that the custom of that time to wash your hair once a year. Head lice was something most people of that time had out west. Then it was discovered that washing the hair at least once a month, helped keep colds and such down, bathing once a month also helped keep you healthy. So; what is your take on some scrubbing bubbles on the body?

How often do you plan on bathing and how will you opt for water, or other means of sanitation of your person. You wouldn't want someone to find you and your camp because they could smell you and your group!:?
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Re: OK: lets Talk About the Nasty Stuff-Hygiene

Postby oldasrocks » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:09 am

Not a problem here. We have a good well and a large pond full of water. A large cache of wet-ones is helpful also. Filtering system for the pond water and camp type hang up to heat shower unit. Hand sanitizer works well to kill the bacteria in the armpits, stings a little down below but works there also. Clothes can be hand washed in pond water and hung to dry. The only danger is a hawk may decide you smell fishy enough to eat.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby dmwalsh568 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:08 pm

Hand washing with a hand cloth is my plan until infrastructure comes back. Just enough water to wet the body and suds up, then rinse off with as little water as possible. Hauling water by hand is hard work, so I'm not about to commit 20+ gallons to a bathtub, at least not until things settle down...then maybe do it Japanese bathhouse style...wash first with minimal water then soak in a tub AFTER you're clean.
dmwalsh568

Postby Cadit » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:44 pm

Great stuff here, thanks. I've built a hydro pump to pump water over to where I will use it. My group has a carpenter and he made a water barrel, nice one. So hopefully; we'll have the water and two of us can make soap, so we are hoping that its covered. We built a cistern in hopes to clean the water before it goes back into the earth. Nothing big you know, just for the shower and dish water that’s not used for the garden and bug spray. :shakeyes:
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:34 pm

Sounds like we will be able to smell you city folk miles and miles before you get here :shock:
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby oldasrocks » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:25 pm

Reb, is the rumor true you took a bath once? Curious minds want to know.

You can always soap up and then let someone rinse you off with a little cheap pump up sprayer. That would only take a pint or so.
oldasrocks

Postby Cin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:58 pm

Lake - one mile away
Large creek flowing year 'round - one mile away
Creek behind my property - flows most of the year - 1/8 mile away
Creek on my property, dry some of the year - across my side yard
Spring on my property - won't go near it unless desperate, the animals water there and we need them to (food)
2 wells (different depths) both accessible in a grid down situation

Water will be free to all our neighbors. A couple neighbors have already commented they'll help protect the water source (we never asked, they just mentioned it and that's how we found out they were preppers too).
Cin

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:04 pm

oldasrocks wrote:Reb, is the rumor true you took a bath once? Curious minds want to know.

You can always soap up and then let someone rinse you off with a little cheap pump up sprayer. That would only take a pint or so.

Keep black spray paint on hand to paint bottles/jugs black so they can absorb the sun to warm the water.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby oldasrocks » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Good Idea RM. I guess cold showers would not be necessary if everyone smelled so bad. LOL
oldasrocks

Postby NJMike » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 am

I've got several camping solar shower bags for solar heating of shower water, but also a number of black plastic totes that can be re-purposed for the same need. That said, since I've temporarily relocated I don't have as much access to water. For the short term living situation, I'd prioritize stored water for drinking, and defer to use of wipes or wet towel methods for personal cleanliness.

I do also have a fine collection of hotel soaps and shampoos to offer any smelly neighbors.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:01 am

NJMike wrote:I've got several camping solar shower bags for solar heating of shower water, but also a number of black plastic totes that can be re-purposed for the same need. That said, since I've temporarily relocated I don't have as much access to water. For the short term living situation, I'd prioritize stored water for drinking, and defer to use of wipes or wet towel methods for personal cleanliness.

I do also have a fine collection of hotel soaps and shampoos to offer any smelly neighbors.

Same here Mike/Everybody...

I have 2 solar bags to hang(5 gal ea.) and a porta-shield(bathroom/shower screen).

I don't have any creeks in Urbania, but I do live in SoCal...Land of the infinite swimming pools and ocean front properties....Moms house is about 1 mile from me on the other side of a large park with 2 man made lakes.(got solar over there too..36 panels/2 inverters)

Part of my preps is checking out the surrounding area on Google Earth looking for water sources by air now Vs. later....There's about 3 houses for every 10 that DONT have pools here in my immediate area. That water will go bad but I have treatment and filters for about 50,000 gallons worth....Think I'm good short of nukes. ;)

My water preps/storage on hand, access to more with filters, amount of swimming pools in the area, etc. etc., will not be an issue now that I'm prepped and planned....If I am running into an issue with hygiene from lack of usable water, there's just going to be far too many more serious issues going on than hygiene at that point.....Looking too clean in an urban environment would be another giveaway stating "I have better supplies than you do, please attack me".

It'd be the same thing as eating like a king while everyone around you starves...Dirty hair and a little hollowness to the cheeks will be better than armed security in Urbania with the nosey neighbors.....Strategic rationing for appearance sake mind you.... ;)

Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby IceFire » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:07 pm

I also have one of those solar showers, and with the heat and sun we have here, a HOT shower is no problem.

That being said, for a "wash-up" with minimal water, there is always the method we always used when camping: a wet washcloth (you can put a SMALL amount of warmed water in a sink or other receptacle to wet and rinse) and soap. It doesn't take much to clean up.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:08 am

You could heat up water and keep it in one of those large coolers with the spout. Then you'd have water at-the-ready for washing up, during the day (hands, face, after bathroom handwashing, etc.) Boiled water stays hot a long time in one of those and you''d be heating water up less often, using less fuel.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rickdun » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:52 am

We have 3 ponds on the farm, I swim in the big one, kids swim in them and grandkids swim in them, no problem except for the winter cold. Also have 5 solar showers (5 gallon each) and a shallow well and 1 spring.

As far as hygiene (besides bathing), I built an outhouse a few years back, township supervisor said it has to go (against the law), I said open the door and look at it, I have it camo'ed as a small tool shed. :floppytongue:
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:29 pm

rickdun wrote:As far as hygiene (besides bathing), I built an outhouse a few years back, township supervisor said it has to go (against the law), I said open the door and look at it, I have it camo'ed as a small tool shed. :floppytongue:

Well, as far as THAT aspect of hygiene goes, we have a septic system, as there is NO municipal water or sewer out where we are, and can always use "grey water" for flushing.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to A.N.T.S.